Bassin with live Frogs..

danbo

caught a perfect size leopard frog out in the backyard 5 years ago but when it came time to stick a hook in it's leg, I couldn't do it...

Getting soft in my old age... :oops:

Edited by Beans

I can't do it anymore either (tho' I know I'm going to spend some time in frog hell for all the nasty stuff we did to those poor little guys when we were kids)

So...now I just throw them out on the water and then toss a jitterbug just behind them. :P

We used to catch hundreds of those little leopard frogs up on Buckhorn lake when I was a kid. I hated when my dad used them at bait, lol!!!

I am also getting softer with age.. Hell I don't like when my dad keeps fish anymore.. If it were up to me, everything would be put back in the lake!

Before I grew old and became burdened with guilt:

When I was a kid (8 or so) I loved fishing with frogs, they were everywhere and easy to catch. The three best things about fishing with frogs:

1) Catching them....it was almost as fun as fishing....Bullfrog catching was great fun too.

2) Throw them into the middle of a bike or bass filled area and watch the action unfold (good entertainment when the fishing was done).

3) Submerge them deep into a clear lake are filled with bass and watch the action.

4) OK...one more. throw them into a pond with geese....man those geese loved frogs. Frogs had about a 2 in 10 chance of making it.

Stupid guilt.

forrest

We used to catch tons of frogs to go fishing up north when I was a kid. We had special boxes built for it and everything. We would give a box or two to the camp owner where we parked the truck and he would wave the parking fee saved about 120 bucks each vacation that way.

One time we forgot to hide a box well enough in moss so it got a little too much sun. We decided to use up those frogs one morning. So all morning long the bass would take the frogs and move them out of their territory because they smelt so bad..... It was a lot of fun watching your float go about 25 ft but we could never get a hook set with those frogs, because the bass were just relocating them.

Could I still use them as bait? Probably if nothing else was working.... especially now that I can't use crayfish anymore due to the new regs. Leeches are just as effective and a lot easier to store though.

There has to be a reason why a species would be called pickerel frogs. They don't look like a pickerel so they must be for fishing pickerel with. Worked well for us at Burleigh Falls many moons ago.