Last weekends Whities!

fishnsled

Well it's been a crazy week but I'm finally getting around to doing up a report. Last Sunday I had the opportunity to get out with Headhunter and my buddy Ken. HH and I have been talking about doing this for quite some time and it was great to finally get out there and do it. We were on the ice around 7am and started to make our way out to spot. (Thanks Terry!) When we arrived it was a mini OFC G2G. It was certainly great to see the gang out there.

After drilling some holes and setting up some lines, Ken has one on and looses it about half way up. Looks promising as Shelley pulls up one shortly afterwards. We had a bit of a slow spell well Chevy yells fish on and gets a nice whitey on the ice. Things seemed to slow right down even though there were still fish on the finder. After some discussion we decided to break away from the group. We decided we do a run and gun approach until we found some fish. First stop we drilled 3 holes and started fishing, this is when we decided the running part of our day was over. Marked tons of fish and Ken had several bumps. It was only a matter of a few of minutes when I had my first one of the day one.

med_gallery_103_86_5194.jpg

At this time I'd like to thank HH for not putting the gaff into my hand, that was close! lol! :thumbsup_anim:

Then it was Ken's turn!

med_gallery_103_86_37478.jpg

Then I pulled up another for my limit. The action was GREAT!!! Well some of us were having a great time, HH was a little unhappy and made some gestures at me that were not very nice. I've got pictures but this is a family board so I better not post them. LOL! :whistling: Well it finally happens!!! HH is doing battle! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: I run over to hole to lend a hand but before I get there the fish is gone, should have checked the drag I guess. :oops: By this time I've HH set up with the fishfinder, using my lure that I got my fish on, telling him how to jig to get the fish rising off the bottom chasing the lure and wouldn't you know it FISH ON!!! :thumbsup_anim: He took his time and played the fish like a pro. After a couple of minutes this was the reward! HH and his first whitefish!

med_gallery_103_86_115954.jpg

A couple of pics and back down the hole.

med_gallery_103_86_141796.jpg

As the front moved in the fishing slowed down and we decided to call it a day. The end results!

med_gallery_103_86_74235.jpg

A fantastic day with some good friends.

Will...great report and pics! Guess the fishing without a hat thing was blown right out of the water...LOL.

Congrats to HH on his first!! and congrats to all of you on a great day on the water.

Like I said in Joey's thread....seeing all these great non perch ice fishing threads almost makes me want to ice fish more.......almost.......

It was a great day out there! Catching my first ever Whitie, my first time trying was just awesome... I think I did the happy fisherman dance for about an hour after I caught it! Thanks to FishnSled for the tutorial and now that I have a clue as to what to use and how to use it, I'm gonna be dangerous out there! We got our limit in less then three hours after we left the large group/OFC gtg.

FnS didn't mention our trip back to shore so I'll add a little colour to his post.

On our way in, we spotted a car with two guys obviously stuck, so we pulled over to see if we could help. Just a word to the wise who are considering taking their sub compact car out onto the ice... Pontiac Vibes are not designed for snow drifts! The may be a little tank on the roads, but they are just too close to the ground to clear any accumulation of snow! We managed to get them out after about 15 minutes of trying and they then decided to follow us back to shore, a wise move on their part!

Thanks again Will for the fantastic day. Ken was a blast to fish with and I really look forward to doing it again!

I caughjt a White FIsh, I caught a White Fish! :Gonefishing:

HH

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Roy - I'm not sure if the fishing is any better then it has been in the past but more being in the right place at the right time. However, this was the best day I've had in a while.

CCMT - I think the hat theroy is gone out the door. LOL!

007 - If you get back over to this side of the pond I 'll see if help you get over your "almost missing" the cold. lol!

Terry - You can join us anytime. Hard or soft water.

HH - Forgot about the guys being stuck. Kinda of a nice way to end a successful day by helping someone out. Seeing the wild turkeys was cool as well!

Take care out there this weekend everyone, looks like a nasty one.