Deals across the border?

jonnybass

Hi, As you can see by my post count I'm new! Long-time lurker, first time poster. Great site!

So the reason I felt compelled to join up is because I know that many ppl here have done some cross border shopping for fishing gear at one point or another. So what I would like to know from those of you who have bought fishing gear south of the border, is what particular fishing stuff is cheap in the States as compared to here?

I ask because I'm heading to NY State for the weekend and I have a little extra $$ to spend.

(leaving tomorrow morning)

So, is there anything down there that's a lot cheaper than anything I can find locally at BPS?

Thanks!

:thumbsup_anim:

Hey Jonny,

I shop in NY often. I usually only hit Gander Mountain though. I mainly pick up Musky stuff down there as it is a lot cheaper. Go to there "bargain bin" behind the reel counter and have a look whats there. i picked up a bunch of Believers, Magic Makers, Ernies, and Depth Raiders. They were all $4 yes $4. Its hit or miss, but a lot of their Terminal Tackle is much cheaper if you are in the area. If you are going out of your way to drive, the gas doesnt usually cover it.

There is also a small shop off of River Road (First exit when you get off Grand Island) cant remember the name though.

Hope this helps,

Mike

i was at gander mountain 4 months ago. a few things were cheaper but not what i was hoping. you can save a bit at bass pro. the only thing i order from the states are my jigs from lunker lure. this is not because of price, but quality and colour. keep it in canada good luck

I was in Watertown last Thursday and Gander is in the midst of getting the shelves cleared of the ice fishing gear and they are starting tp get more stuff out. The shelves had the ususal stuff but nothing to rave about.

The bargain bins were full of plastic worms but very few lures.

I found a deal at Herb Phillipson, they had Berkley Flickers 2 for $4.99 - thats's a good deal.

Will hit Gander sometime in April when the shelves are full.

One thing I looked for and asked about and was told that Gander will NOT be stocking the Mustad Slow Death hooks. CTC in Kingston will be having them.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Edited by superdad

I just got back from a week long trip south and did manage to find a few bargoons. Much of the general tackle for Bass, Walleye, Panfish is same price or close. Where the big savings are is in Reels, rods and specialty stuff IE. Musky,Pike etc. The selection of colours, models etc is very much improved and you may find some things that you cannot get here. Just got to know your prices & what specifically you want/need.

FT