Post Storm Steelies

ccmtcanada

Well, after waking up this morning and seeing the snow and traffic heading into Toronto, I decided to take a snow day. I took my little one public skating in the morning and then when she was off to school, I had nothing to do. I thought about heading to the local trib, but was unsure. Bly said I should at least go and look at the conditions, so I got all my gear together and headed down un-plowed streets to see what was swimming.

When I got there, most of my favourite holes were frozen solid, but did notice a few runs that had some open water. The visibility was about 6 inches, so I had high hopes.

The first hole I went to was pretty slow, but I did manage to get one on....and promptly lost it. It was then quiet for a few hours. I kept trying different holes, and by this time the sun was out and it was a great day to be drifting.

I found another open spot and drifted as close as I could to the ice edge on the opposite bank. My float went down and I set the hook....and lo and behold there was a fish on! It was a little female....with some great colours.

steelie1.jpg

After snagging a few times and re-tying, I tried to drift the same spot again. This time my float went down and when it came to the surface it's tail actually broke thru the ice shelf! I knew this one was bigger! I was fishing high on a bank, so I had to lead the fish towards a spot where I could actually land the fish. The battle went on for about 15 minutes...it kept trying to head down stream, but I managed to keep it's head facing upstream. Finally, the this steelie came in. It was 27.5" and weighed 7 pounds! My first decent sized steelie this year. Here's the pic right after it was landed.....

bigsteeliestreamside.jpg

Someone who was walking by offered to take a pic, so here's the same fish....

27halfinch7pounds.jpg

All in all, had a pretty good day out there....3 hours and 3 fish on...two landed.

NICELY DONE BRO!!!

BEAUTY CHROME!!!

WISHIN I GOT OUT NOW LOL

Thanks Scott...after reading your report yesterday about waters being muddy, I checked the levels of the creek online and they were steadily going down despite the snow. I figured that if I could get out before the big melt, the waters may have cleared enough to catch some. Looks like for once I was right...LOL.

I'm gonna call your boss.....

Great stuff Cliff.. beats driving downtown for sure!

I already called my boss and told him I wasn't coming in because of the snow...

Mind you, he may have assumed I stayed at home all day and worked, but that's his fault...not mine...LOL.

Wow,another beauty. Okay Cliff,teach me how to do this. What exactly did you catch them on? Is that some sort of floating egg pattern fly?

Hey Kennyman....I use my float setup....13foot rod, with a spinning reel. Because of the visibility, I went with a shorter lead....about 2 feet. From the swivel to the float was about 2 feet as well, with weights to keep my leader down.

I used roe (salmon...I haven't got any trout roe left), about looney size in chartreuse and pink bags.