Speaking of Aircraft......NF

HTHM

I am flying to Calgary on Tuesday and was wondering where I want to sit in order to benefit from the view available while flying. As a matter of fact the flight path will take me over my house and I would like to photogragh it as I go by.

Please don't say "window seat" I got that figured out already. :whistling:<_<

Edited by hometownhandyman

Gonna be tricky since you don't know which way they'll depart into the wind... so your house could be on one side or the other!

I like to sit right behind the wing...so I can watch it's magnifigance in flexiblity during turbulence... and point it out to "non" fliers! LOL

Gonna be tricky since you don't know which way they'll depart into the wind... so your house could be on one side or the other!

I live tucked into the armpit of the north south and east west runways of YYH so I should be able to figure out the runway / direction of takeoff etc. It's always with the wind, right?????? :wallbash:

Hi Handyman,

I see you're in Mount Hope. Generally we don't get that far departing from Toronto no matter what runway you depart from. We have to maintain runway headings until 3600' for noise reasons until Air Traffic Control points us the right way. The only way you may get a glimpse of the Hamilton area is if you take off toward the west (into wind) on a clear day and turn right (North) after takeoff and that usually occurs around Streetsville or Milton. The common route to Calgary after takeoff is generally north toward Midland then Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay or perhaps Diluth depending upon winds, then basically along the US - Canada border.

Cheers, have a great trip!

Peter

Safest place to sit...based on fatality is by the wing...wings hold that part of the plane together, increasing your small odds of survival despite being close to the fuel, statistically the percentage dead are highest in front and back.

crashpages.com and some other web sites with info for people with fear of flying

(and you want daytime non-commuter rush hour flights if possible)

(land crashes higher odds of survival than ocean)

I don't know if the website still runs but it included deathes/km flown breakdown by airline and fatality records for cities (third world countries are the worst, Canada US is good)

Air Canada has a decent record

Things to consider before flying...

VIA RAIL FIRST CLASS HAS AMAZING SERVICE, NOTHING LIKE TRAVELLING ON TONS OF STEEL 3 INCHES OFF THE GROUND

Edited by Kirk

I could see where against the wind would be adventitious for lift at slower speeds and make sense..

I too grew up in Mount Hope, as did my wife... I grew up on White Church and 6.... Kitty corner to the runway 6 (well it used to be) Between the planes and trucks.. it is a wonder I got ANY sleep LOL

my wife grew up just east of 6 on Airport Rd... same thing....

HTH.. please send me a PM.. Need to talk w/ you for a moment...

G

Safest place is in the cockpit where I am, then you know what's going on and besides that, my window opens and has it's own escape rope!

That way, the first thing you'll see is my sorry butt running away if we evacuate.

All kidding aside, Kirk's comments are probably accurate plus the ride is best over the wings. These plane are so long now that the front and back can sway a bit in turbulence. The quietest ride is toward the front. In the cockpit, you really don't hear the engines especially with our headsets on so you have to watch the dials to make sure everything is up to speed.

I'm a just behind the wing sitter on commercial flights. Makes for a quick run when the fuselage breaks apart forward of the wing attach ......

And Twilight... everyone knows that the best place to be in a crash is inside the "black box". It's always found intact.....

Edited by irishfield

Waddid I tell you to scare you in January Mike ? Since I can no longer get up front, to sit in the jump seats, on all my Skyservice flights... I generally sit just behind the wing or on the wing if I can.

This is what you wrote Wayne.

an 23 2008, 10:26 AM

Post #9

Imperial Angler

Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 6

All I can tell you Mike is that you were sitting in the safest spot in the plane! When they break in half on landing..right behind the wing... you can run out thru the new gapping exit !

I was wrong you did say it was the safest place to sit it was the gapping exit that will go through my mind on my next flight :stretcher:

:w00t:

Hi Handyman,

I see you're in Mount Hope. Generally we don't get that far departing from Toronto no matter what runway you depart from. We have to maintain runway headings until 3600' for noise reasons until Air Traffic Control points us the right way. The only way you may get a glimpse of the Hamilton area is if you take off toward the west (into wind) on a clear day and turn right (North) after takeoff and that usually occurs around Streetsville or Milton. The common route to Calgary after takeoff is generally north toward Midland then Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay or perhaps Diluth depending upon winds, then basically along the US - Canada border.

Cheers, have a great trip!

Peter

That is exactly why I am flying out of YYH and not YYZ, a 3 minute commute to the airport, I increase my property values by using the airport, and I don't have to worry about parking my car. I can see my house from the most common take off and landing route into YYH (Hamilton Airport)

Getting back to my ORIGINAL question, where do I sit in order to best enjoy the views that will be availible????

I have no fear of flying or crashes, my brother in law works as a professional pilot and AME in the jungles of Indonesia and cycles on runways that are infinetly more dangerous than anything we have in North America and has a perfect record. This has given me confidence in the men and women in the cockpit and in the hangers as well as the machines they operate and maintain.