OT: Selling the sport compact and getting a V8 Cherokee :)

cityfisher

Hi all,

Well after4 years of driving a sporty subaru around town it looks like its time to make a big switch into a 04 Limited Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Ive wanted more suitable to my outdoor adventures for a while now I have a chance on picking up a nice one with 90k on it. Ext warranty until 120.

Anyone have a cherokee ? how do they like it ? things to watch ?

I know im gonna be spending more on $$ but since i drive 4 km to the go train station it shouldnt affect me much. Trailering on the highway is probably the same as my 2.0 turbo ( terrible on gas while trailering my quad )

Thanks all.

I spoke with a guy last week that was in an accident and had a Chev Envoy ext version as a loaner and he said the envoy was great on gas compared to the Cherokee. He said he going to sell it when he received it back because of the poor gas mileage. I personally have a 01 pathfinder and love it, it has the 3.5l v6 engine which tows well and is ok on gas.

Edited by mikeh

I have a '95 have had it for 7 years great car but it does have it's problems, I found elecrical mostly, rear wiper,

door lock. and it developed an oil leak in the main seal, they tell me and it's expensive to fix I hear.

Overall it runs fine, I've replaced the starter and battery and the steering damper twice.

Great in weather like today no problems at all.

Had Jeeps for years!They were great. Even had the v8 grand cherokee.

electrical issues with all of the ones I had not much to repair once the problem was found but it was just the time spent searching out the electrical problem.

Off road the grand cherokee held its own and it was beaten!!!

Tows anything great. Sold it with 285000 km and it still ran great and 4x4 worked.

Since the jeep I now drive a super charged Nissan Xterra (and I thought the jeep was bad on gas :wallbash: )

Love the Xterra no problems yet and its great off road.

Check out some of the online jeep forums for info also.

J.E.E.P

Just-Empty-Every-Pocket....LOL

if i wasnt getting it 4-5 k below market value I probably wouldnt do the deal and I know the owner has had NO problems and treats it like his baby + ext warranty for the next 1.5-2 years ...It should be ok... Other than the $$$ in gas

Any Jeep Forums to recommend ?

Edited by cityfisher

My uncle used to have cherokees as company cars. He loved them! Put 250 000 km on them easy and no major issues. I had a jeep (not Cherokee) and drove it until it had 300 000 and still got 7grand for it when i traded it in.

Cant go wrong with a jeep! although you will pay at the pump compared to your car.

Cheers!

Now, I don't know what you're paying, so, everything I'm about to say could be totally moot if you're getting a smokin' deal. So here goes nothin': I would make the stretch to a 2005 --- everything changed for the better. Mercedes Benz transmission, independent suspension and Electronic Stability Program (also taken from MB). Those factors alone = better mileage, longer transmission life, and MUCH improved ride/handling, from a comfort and safety point of view. However, money is always a factor....if the warranty is a Chrysler warranty that gives you the gold coverage, and you're paying...mmm....less than $14,000, I would say it's a no-brainer. Start going higher than that, and you can get into an '05/6 with lower mileage and a much better overall package.

Just my $0.02 :)

Im actually getting it for $12k :) thats the only reason im doing it ..... I can drive it for a couple years and probably sell it for around the same price.

It is the gold package warranty until 125k for powertrain and 100 k for Bumper to Bumper... ( its got 90k so thats almost done )

Edited by cityfisher

I made a similar switch 2 years ago. Used to boot around in a AWD turbo 2 liter (DSM) that could tear it up at the strip as well as handle the snow like a charm. I needed a more utilitarian vehicle, so I bought a 4.0L Cherokee (not the grand). Best decision I made bud. When you factor in that the Jeep drinks regular as opposed to premium for the turbo 2.0 you're breaking even in terms of fuel expense. The v8 (5.2??) in the Grand Cherokee is very similar to the 4.0 in terms of fuel consumption (as long as you don't go with the 5.9) especially on the hwy.

I looked at Grand versus regular Cherokee and went with the latter because I wanted something simple that I could work on myself if needed. Also, the reg Cherokee comes with a lot less bells and whistles which in my opinion is a GOOD thing when buying a used vehicle. Less things to break. Particularly on the GCs which have been known to have stupid little things go wrong with them.

I'm not sure if the GCs come with the same transfer case options, but I love the NP242 in mine. It has 2wd, full time 4wd (AWD), and part time 4wd. The hardcore offroaders prefer the non-full time option in theirs but to me, it's been a godsend this winter.

Edited by Raf

I made a similar switch 2 years ago. Used to boot around in a AWD turbo 2 liter (DSM) that could tear it up at the strip as well as handle the snow like a charm. I needed a more utilitarian vehicle, so I bought a 4.0L Cherokee (not the grand). Best decision I made bud. When you factor in that the Jeep drinks regular as opposed to premium for the turbo 2.0 you're breaking even in terms of fuel expense. The v8 (5.2??) in the Grand Cherokee is very similar to the 4.0 in terms of fuel consumption (as long as you don't go with the 5.9) especially on the hwy.

I looked at Grand versus regular Cherokee and went with the latter because I wanted something simple that I could work on myself if needed. Also, the reg Cherokee comes with a lot less bells and whistles which in my opinion is a GOOD thing when buying a used vehicle. Less things to break. Particularly on the GCs which have been known to have stupid little things go wrong with them.

I'm not sure if the GCs come with the same transfer case options, but I love the NP242 in mine. It has 2wd, full time 4wd (AWD), and part time 4wd. The hardcore offroaders prefer the non-full time option in theirs but to me, it's been a godsend this winter.

Sounds like were in the same boat :) Im getting the 04 GC limted 4.7 litre. Its fulltime 4wd with a low option .. I think its called Quadra track.

I needed something that could tow my Quad and sometimes my bros boat. It sucks going anywhere with my suby cramping everything I need into it + it would drink gas whenever I would tow.( also takes premium)

Looking forward to the change

You'll probably love it.. I do miss the the acceleration and handling of my DSM once in a while (I'm guessing you have a WRX right now?) but the Jeeps can go a lot of places most vehicles can't. You can fit a lot of gear in them, tow a decent size boat (I pull a 17' Lund package that's probably in the 2k+ lb range with no problem), and it's pretty hard to get them stuck, even in stock form (although I've managed :D ) . First mod should be front tow hooks if the GC doesn't come with them. ;) Your hitch will work as a rear recovery point. :D

Edited by Raf

You'll probably love it.. I do miss the the acceleration and handling of my DSM once in a while (I'm guessing you have a WRX right now?) but the Jeeps can go a lot of places most vehicles can't. You can fit a lot of gear in them, tow a decent size boat (I pull a 17' Lund package that's probably in the 2k+ lb range with no problem), and it's pretty hard to get them stuck, even in stock form (although I've managed :D ) . First mod should be front tow hooks if the GC doesn't come with them. ;) Your hitch will work as a rear recovery point. :D

Yes i have a 03 WRX. Im sure ill miss the handling and power but time for a change .. I can always buy an STI in a couple years :)

The V8 GC does have ballz.. for a truck it boots ! Ill look into some tow hooks if it doesnt have them.. Hopefully I dont get into any Sticky situations with the Cherokeee.. Thats why I have a Quad :thumbsup_anim:

I've owned a '99 Cherokee for about 3 years now. It's got the 4.0 litre though.

I love the thing. There are definitely some electrical gremlins with some of them tho'.

Mine blew an ignition sensor and a fuel sensor but I haven't had a problem with it after replacing those 2 units.

The thing has lots of torque which makes it great for towing. As far as off road goes, mine thinks it's part mountain goat and part fish. I take it places that would make a lot of people chicken out and I've had the water up high enough that I flooded out the interior (hey I was trying to launch the boat to go fishing). My last vehicle was a full size GMC 4X4 and the Jeep goes places that the GMC wouldn't make it.

On a different note, Jeep changed the body style on the Cherokee after 2000 and I don't think they've ever been the same when it comes to off road ability. I really don't like the new styles and I'm always on the look out for a good deal on another pre 2001 Cherokee. As far as the new crap they are making and calling "Jeeps" I just don't get it.

The "Compass" is the worst looking piece of crap I've seen and I cringe every time I see one. It looks like it would get stuck on a dry highway :blink:

(real) Jeeps rock, you'll love yours.

Hookset.

I have a GC.....I Love It!

I had an Eddy Bauer Explorer for many years and much prefer the Jeep.

It towes my bass boat without any problems.... I travel north of Parham, down really bad roads with some wicked hills every summer for vaccation and feel confident in it's abilty to get me there.

It's not the quickest to do so but I guess the 10 cases of beer in the back bogs it down.

The only thing I wish is that it had more room......people in the back seats say it's a little cramped but I also plaster the leather with protectant. Good thing for solid locks otherwise they'd be sent out the doors. :)

I'm at just under 300k and I can't say enough good things about it.

Cheers

..and if we're talking kms on the odometer, my '97 4.0L turned over 312,000 today. Still running strong. I have a feeling the body will go long before the motor. I intend to run it to the ground then probably get another Cherokee.

Edited by Raf

I own a 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport, had it for 4 yrs has 202000 km on it and now I have it for sale ( in the Classified Section ) only because I bought a full size Conversion van as my Back will not allow me to sleep in a tent :angry: I am going to regret selling it ,,, but I have to think of my back and my health... Fuel is also going to kill me.. went up to Innisfil for the Tyler Fund Raiser and only spent $20.00 on fuel from Hamilton & return... Also pulls my 17.5 boat with out even knowing its back there... Jeeps are a Great Vehicle but you have to watch the years as they made the Change in 2000 and they have been having some problems so I am told