kayak fishing tournament in Southern Ontario

NAC

Finally, a "real" fishing tournament! Sounds like a hoot.

We actually had a kayak bass-fishing tournament up here years ago before the big wave of kayak fishing took off. We combined it with a downriver whitewater race to come up with an overall winner. I believe Pigeontroller's brother won the whole thing.

That's a tournament that you could actually call a sport....because it's only a sport if your gear weighs less than you do. :whistling:

Fortunatly, most things weigh less than I do! Post if you guys come up with a date. I love kayak fishing.

So when doe that type of salmon run? I'm in North Bay but have camped for a couple of years at Inverhuron in the summer.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd259/j...ck/IMG_0170.jpg

Salmon run used to take place from mid Aug to mid Oct... it appears to be about a month later in the last couple years due to very low river levels.

I don't think that will be the case this year with the snow we've had unless it is another drought summer and dry early fall

That's how I get to and from the launch Cory.

1127107shad1.jpg

With all my gear in tow.

Jediangler, that is a pretty slick setup. Do you have any closer pics?

This could be just the ticket for me. I had a canoe for a long time but I've developed some back troubles and don't like throwing it up on top of my van anymore. Your kayak looks like it would slip right in the back.

Saugeen would a good river along Huron...........has a very large section of deep water from the rapids to the pier. Then you can venture out over the sand and rock shoals out from the pier(north side of the pier is good). Even around the graveyard hole, you could paddle up and down, drifting it pretty good(probably pissing off a lot of shore fisherman......).

I wouldn't think Maitland would be very easy, with how shallow it gets upstream from the old rail bridge, unless you like to paddle on rocks or get out and walk upstream. Everybody could be bumping into each other from the section downstream of the bridge to the end of the piers.

Saugeen would a good river along Huron...........has a very large section of deep water from the rapids to the pier. Then you can venture out over the sand and rock shoals out from the pier(north side of the pier is good). Even around the graveyard hole, you could paddle up and down, drifting it pretty good(probably pissing off a lot of shore fisherman......).

I wouldn't think Maitland would be very easy, with how shallow it gets upstream from the old rail bridge, unless you like to paddle on rocks or get out and walk upstream. Everybody could be bumping into each other from the section downstream of the bridge to the end of the piers.

The intent of the tourney is for it to be fished at the river mouths and outflow/wash areas. I wouldn't want to attempt to fish upstream.... on the Maitland that is.

aside from obvious depth issues, there would some nasty scowls from the shore and wading fishermen...not that have exclusive rights to the river, but we want it to be a positive thing for everyone

We are not bound by any one location to host the tourney but there appears to be some positive views from the town council in Goderich.

Southhampton and Kincardine were considerations as well and never out of the equation. We're just trying to feel things out right now and there can be many changes before anything is determined.

The big thing is to get everyone interested to talk it up and come up with the best possible scenarios, then put it into action.

It is a new concept for everyone.

so please feel free to give your input.

thanks

Fireball, this little boat would be much easier for you to handle than a canoe. It is a Canadian Tire Special at $299, add another $100 for the paddle. It is 9' 6" long and weighs 38lbs. I've added an Obus Forme seat for comfort and a rod holder up front. I've since removed the rod holder and replaced it with a camera mount for taking pics of my catches. I built the cart out of a couple of old hockey sticks for easier transport. I am not a kayaker, I'm an angler who fishes out of a kayak. I look at it like a pair of waders that the water never gets too deep for.

897706berg4.jpg

Edited by jediangler

I'd be up for it, seeing as in the last few years the only fishing I've managed to get done is kings out of the canoe. Yaks I guess would be the central focus, but I'm assuming it would be open to all bob boats, paving the way for yak vs. canoe vs. float tube rumbles in the Timmies parking lot :D

Huron tribs still have a big enough chinny run to support a tourney, especially the Maitland? Wouldn't want to see something like 20 entrants, but 3 fish entered. Would after dark be included, maybe as a special bonus class? Look forward to see this come off.

And for all the doubters, most nights infront of Bronte or Credit I do better in the canoe than most boats during the day.

CanoeSalmon4.jpg

CanoeSalmon2.jpg

CanoeSalmon3.jpg

CanoeSalmon8.jpg

CanoeSalmon7.jpg

CanoeCoho2.jpg

CanoeCoho3.jpg

CanoeBronteSunrise.jpg

I'd be up for it, seeing as in the last few years the only fishing I've managed to get done is kings out of the canoe. Yaks I guess would be the central focus, but I'm assuming it would be open to all bob boats, paving the way for yak vs. canoe vs. float tube rumbles in the Timmies parking lot :D

Huron tribs still have a big enough chinny run to support a tourney, especially the Maitland? Wouldn't want to see something like 20 entrants, but 3 fish entered. Would after dark be included, maybe as a special bonus class? Look forward to see this come off.

And for all the doubters, most nights infront of Bronte or Credit I do better in the canoe than most boats during the day.

nice job on the chinooks!!

the run of chinooks has fallen off considerably in the last 5yrs in particular, all along Huron. In my opinion it is more likely due to the dropping river levels and in turn the water temp doesn't come down fast enough for large, stable runs.

What I have seen personally at the Maitland, is a large number of fish staging in the mouth for longer than normal periods, waiting for the water temp to come down for them to make the big push. I don't believe there are less salmon spawning but rather there are less salmon spawning upstream. I can verify that there is still a considerable number of them making it to the dam in Wingham.

Having said that.... there is nothing to in stone that it must be held in Goderich but the big plus with the town is that they are quite interested in hosting it and could definitely support it with the services available in the town.

I am getting a lot of good input and interest!

so thanks a lot people and keep it coming..... kayak fishing will become a mainstay in Canada in the next couple years.

I saw somepoeple are skare to catch some 20 pound salmon in kayak.... :rolleyes: .

ok for people that never try to fish in kayak..the ideal must be...wow.

but for people that did try those kayaks...........salmon fishing is almost a jock in kayak..its is just as fun or more fun then in a boat..plus more chalenging. then sit in those huge boats.

take a look here on those link you will see pictures off some fish caught in kayak...so those 20 pound salmon look like minnows.. :rolleyes:

here some tread/link/picts

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/extreme-...-shark-fishing/

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/

http://www.marinij.com/ci_8200635?source=most_emailed

ok a 20 pound salmon is not a joke..but there not mutch compare to those fish....tons off guy fish the oceans in those kayak for 100'S pound tarpon etc...so there just a great fishing vessel..

try them and you wont regret it.

there just plain fun....... :thumbsup_anim: .

i sold my big boat...17f/80merc to fish in my kayak and i will never go back.

for people that want to have fun and do some adventure and get a rush kayak fishing is the thing to do.

down south in the U.S.A kayak fishing is coming very very strong.

some derbys and all.

joco..

joco

Edited by joco

doing great crazzyhook..... :thumbsup_anim: .

just finish snowplowing for about 4 hours... <_<:wallbash:

but hey kayak season is going to ON soon.

hope to see you.(come see us on the site bud). :whistling: .

we will do some little outhing hope you will join us.

ho some carp fishing in kayak on fly is a good one we should get together for that you no where.. :whistling:

joco

Finally, a "real" fishing tournament! Sounds like a hoot.

We actually had a kayak bass-fishing tournament up here years ago before the big wave of kayak fishing took off. We combined it with a downriver whitewater race to come up with an overall winner. I believe Pigeontroller's brother won the whole thing.

That's a tournament that you could actually call a sport....because it's only a sport if your gear weighs less than you do. :whistling:

I tried to get myself into that tournament on the Gull a few years ago, but with no sleep the night before at a friends cottage in Bancroft, I bailed. I think the winning bass ended up to be 2 pounds, but a quick down river trial. I had everything rigged and ready to go. I set up the ski tube with velcro straps to hold my rods, and had dry bags for my gear secured inside. I attached the rope to the stern handle, and a way I go. I modeled it well at my cottage with a few test runs, but the freestyle boats are not cut out to tow well ... or follow straight lines for that matter.

The concept of fishing from a kayak has always interested me. On occasion after some flips and tricks at the cottage, I will grab a rod off the dock and paddle it back out with me in and around the bay. The "play boat/freestyle" kayak spins in a 360 as soon as you take the blade out of the water, so it's not very practical.

If you have a down river race at the end, I may have a chance to win if I combine my score. But with my luck these days, I may catch a snail or rubber boot to take to the scales.

• 1 month later...

I'll be interested in this tournament!

I'm just getting into this sport. Bought a sit in kayak last year and just loved the concept. This was a 10 ft kayak made by Pelican and is a very good beginner yak. Over the winter I got ambitious and decided to buy a second one but this time I went for a 13'-6" Hobie Revolution sit on top kayak. The new kayak will allow me to fish in larger bodies of water.

Visit My Website

Fishing will never be the same.

By the way there is another kayak tournament being planned for the Toronto Islands for July 5th/6th and Aug. 16 2008.

Visit My Website

Hope to see all you kayak fisherman soon!

Fish-On