kayak fishing tournament in Southern Ontario

NAC

If there were such an event, how many conventional fisherman would be interested if the boats were provided?

what would be your choice of species to fish for?

How far would you be willing to travel to do it?

Whom out there is a kayak fisherman with the boat and gear would be interested?

I am looking into organizing such an event next fall in the lower Lake Huron area when the Chinook run is on and am just looking for a little feedback and any suggestions.

Thanks.

glad to see so many interested people out there!

let me give a little more insight for those whom are not familiar with kayak fishing.

There is currently on one tourney in Canada and it is held on Vancouver Island.... Moutcha Bay Tyee Kayak fishing Derby

Tyee being chinook over 30lbs

the next closest would be either Jamaica Bay, New York or Racine, Wisconsin..... all are very big tourneys' in the world of yakfishin'

It is definitely becoming a popular activity! with all our resources around here, there is no way we should not be major players in the sport.

It is the stealth method of fishing. Think of how many areas you can just go and drop on in and start fishing.

How many times in the Spring or Fall have you wanted to quietly sneak up to a shoreline where you know the fish are and take a few casts??

with kayak fishing you can quietly troll them instead of trying to get close enough with a motor boat to lure them out of cover

Rigged Kayaks

2riggedWSyaks1.jpg

2riggedWSyaks.jpg

these are definitely the elite models of the sport.

here is a site with a lot of props relating to the sport of Kayak Fishing

please feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer all of them!

There is another potential tournament in the works for Central Ontario, this coming season.... it appears bass will be the targeted species.

Edited by nomad

unless it is at the river mouth or in river I would think the liability would be too much

but it will be interesting to see what the guys have to say about it

for me if it doesn't have a buck fifty or better on the back of it, it ain't fast enough..but that's me

You're like me Terry... I do enjoy kayaking/canoing..... from the dock when all the gals go buy from the canoe camp.. or when Leah goes for a paddle in her 'kini !

Seriously though... there seems to be a fair number of 'yak fisherpeople here... you never know.

unless it is at the river mouth or in river I would think the liability would be too much

but it will be interesting to see what the guys have to say about it

for me if it doesn't have a buck fifty or better on the back of it, it ain't fast enough..but that's me

Definitely in the outflows.... it's the only way to go for such an event

that's why it woould be held during the run because the salmon tend to stack in the mouth then

Where exactly on Lake Huron would you be holding this? Sounds interesting. I've never kayaked, but always wanted to try. I'm always looking at the fishing rigged kayaks at the sportsman shows. I own a canoe by the way,so I'm pretty sure I'd catch on. I'm not sure I could catch any fish though :lol: . Sounds very interesting to me . I have a buddy that always wanted to kayak as well, so maybe.

IM like Terry , my salmon boat has twin 440 chyslers not paddles lol . BUT I looked around and found this "http://www.wavewalk.com/?gclid=CILs8-fP9pECFQZ6IgodxlXboA " would be a blast haveing a high teens or twenty pound fish pull you around and getting it into the net would be crazy , I ve done crazy before , you might get me interested in a boat like the one in the link .. lol Never thought of fishing from a kayak or canoe in less you had no choice , but it looks like it could be funn

i love kayaking but the thought of catching a 20 pound salmon in a kayak on lake huron scares me lol

Cheers!

it shouldn't, you would only be fishing within a 1000yds or so of the river mouth and people all around you, a life jacket and the best part is.... if you fall out or capsize (never happens) they are very simple to get back into. I don't recommend heading way out on the Great Lakes by yourself without a VHF or checking the marine forcast. same as in a motor boat

with a lot of fishing kayaks, you can stand up and fly cast from most them if you wish! there are very stable and the good ones cut thru water like a knife... very easy to paddle

hope that eases your mind!

forumpics1-1.jpg

the above pic is a fellow whom fishes the lower Huron and Michigan area

Where exactly on Lake Huron would you be holding this? Sounds interesting. I've never kayaked, but always wanted to try. I'm always looking at the fishing rigged kayaks at the sportsman shows. I own a canoe by the way,so I'm pretty sure I'd catch on. I'm not sure I could catch any fish though :lol: . Sounds very interesting to me . I have a buddy that always wanted to kayak as well, so maybe.

there is a good chance it would be Goderich as the headquarters with possibilites for Bayfield and Grand Bend included depending on the number interested.

It is apparently popular in California. I would suggest using something they have done as a possible reference point. I had heard of something done on the west coast of Vancouver Island but did not hear about anyone attending. That said....kayaking seems huge here.

I trully wonder how some supposedly reel in say a halibut (any that I have caught have been in 180-200 ft), with a few photos I recall seeing online making me wonder.

It sounds workable. I wish you well with it....I got a sit on top late last summer and am anxious to try it for some kokanee in a few weeks.

outdoorguy61

Wow, what a spectacle an event like that would be!

I can see it now; hundreds of spectators gather by the shoreline, the national anthem being played and then the shotgun start with all the competitors blasting off at the same time paddling off in quest of the Kings.

I'm only a canoeist and wouldn't participate myself, but I gotta say, I'd probably travel out to an event like that just to do a little casting from shore myslef, catch the blast off and see some of the weight in.

I think if there's enough participation by the competitors, sponsors and if it's promoted locally to the general population, it could be a really cool thing.

Call the media and you'll get a lot of news coverage just because of the uniqueness of the event.

Just my 2 cents.

Finally, a "real" fishing tournament! Sounds like a hoot.

We actually had a kayak bass-fishing tournament up here years ago before the big wave of kayak fishing took off. We combined it with a downriver whitewater race to come up with an overall winner. I believe Pigeontroller's brother won the whole thing.

That's a tournament that you could actually call a sport....because it's only a sport if your gear weighs less than you do. :whistling:

Finally, a "real" fishing tournament! Sounds like a hoot.

We actually had a kayak bass-fishing tournament up here years ago before the big wave of kayak fishing took off. We combined it with a downriver whitewater race to come up with an overall winner. I believe Pigeontroller's brother won the whole thing.

That's a tournament that you could actually call a sport....because it's only a sport if your gear weighs less than you do. :whistling:

I like your enthusiasm SD!

was not aware of the tourney you spoke about above.... sounds like it would have been fun with the whitewater thrown in!!

yo that sounds like fun. If it wasnt so dam far from me. I'll probably do it though.

I'd drive up to an hour from Oshawa, and I'm willing to fish for anything. I think in a large body like Lake Huron, we would be in the hands of mother nature though.

Edited by ricoboxing

Interesting topic....

Count me in :)

897706berg8.jpg

Question: Those wheels for when you flip her over in shallow water? You can just keep on going.........

Terry, I'm sure you can get Wayne to figure out a way to attach a 150 for ya.

Edited by Cory