Every Perch Fisherman's Fear!

Mike Pike

Well, my buds and I took the day off work yesterday and headed to Gilford to do a little perch fishing. We booked a hut with Terry Goy( Blue Huts )and were doing quite well first thing in the morning with lots of bites a couple dozen perch iced within the first hour or two.

My favorite presentation took most of the morning's catch.

gallery_35_357_24756.jpg

The bite slowed to a trickle and for several hours we had nothing.. zip.. nadda.

We wondered if they had moved on, developed lock-jaw or perhaps a pike had come by for a visit. Well, we soon had our answer when my little St. Croix perch stick almost bends in two and reel starts to scream with a sizeable fish on!

After a couple runs, I coax him to the hole and my buds an I see Mr. Pike. He takes one look at us and starts another run and my heart is in my throat. After bringing him back to the hole( which seemed way too small )and gently lifting his head upwards, I see my little #2 jigging Rap hooked on the edge of it's mouth and luckly none of my 3 1/2 pound Berkeley Micro Ice mono had come near his teeth.

Reaching down the hole, I placed my hand under it's gill plate and hauled him out.

gallery_35_357_27292.jpg

Well, that just made our trip. I'll leave you with a few of my favorite images from this winter's Gilford outings.

Snowmobilers.

gallery_35_357_11688.jpg

Goodtimes.

gallery_35_357_6219.jpg

Anyone Hungry?

gallery_35_357_23169.jpg

The Fridge.

gallery_35_357_11670.jpg

The Gathering.

gallery_35_357_14213.jpg

Sunrise.

gallery_35_357_20816.jpg

Ya, the fear part comes from trying to land a pike on perch gear. I know it happens to a lot of guys who like perching and you hold your breath when Mr. Pike grabs on and you hope that everything just works out. I know it was the largest fish I landed on the lightest line( 3 1/2 pound test )which is where the fear part came in. LOL Thanks for the comments!

Nice pike. :thumbsup_anim:B)

Does a person need some type of license to serve food on the ice? I'd be a little concerned with the sanitary conditions with them not having running water to wash their hands & what not.