Gear Advice - Pike Fishing

I have an Ontario trip planned for the fall, and am looking to upgrade my Pike fishing outfit. I don't get to fish Pike as much as I'd like (few time per year). I currently use an 8'6" MH Eagle Claw with a Shimano 4000 series. It has always done the job, but I think I'd like to get something a little lighter.

From my research so far, it seems that I have a choice of Muskie rods (6'6" Heavy Action casting) or a few "pike" rods (9'5" - 11'). Neither option seems very appealing. I think I'd like to stay in the 7.5' - 8.5' range.

Does anyone have a particular outfit that they really like for Pike. The only requirments I have is that it can handle 1.5 oz - 2.0 oz lures, and doesn't cost more than $120.

Your insights would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be a lack of advertised "pike" outfits.

Also, We're headed to Shaol Lake in Ontario, so if anyoone has had experience fishing it, I'd love to hear what it is like.

Thanks!

whatever you do, don't get a muskie rod. it will be too heavy (not much flex) and you won't be able to throw pike sized baits very far with it.

I agree with cranks bait, go with something in the 7' range, MH power, fast action, bait caster set-up.

Look around on-line, you should be able to get a decent combo from bass pro or cabela's.

I have a St. Croix Triumph 7' MH Casting Rod that is ideal for Pike. It'll chuck 1.5oz lure just fine and has a lot of backbone without losing sensitivity. I would imagine you could find a spinning equivelent in the Triumph line and it will be around $100.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

-Brian

Do you want to spend 120 on both rod and reel or just the rod? Also do you want to stay with a spinning set up or move onto a bait-casting one? Is this rod going to be used from your/a boat? Or primarialy from shore? Are you looking fo a 1 or 2 piece?

If you want to spend 120 on just the rod you'll have a a lot of rods to choose from. The St Croix Triumph series that Slow Poke suggested is a good one. There's also their premier series. Fenwick, HMG series, HMX series is also right in that ball park. Shimano V-rods have been popping up on sale for right around 120... All Star also has a few in that range. Rogue, Diawa, Seeker,Berkley, Quantum... All have great rods.

One of my favorite outfits is an 8'6" St Croix, Wild River Heavy power, fast action paired with a Quantum Catalyst 40. I also run a 10'6" Berkley Series One, Medium power, with a Abu Ambassadeur 1st gen Morrum.

FHR

Thanks for the responses. Looks as though most folks use a baitcast set-up, with a rod that will double for bass fishing. Seems reasonable to me.

To and FHR's question, I would prefer to stick with a spinning reel, as that is what I've used my entire life. I boat fish, and would prefer a 2-piece for travel purposes (not a must).

Looks as though the Quantum Energy comes in a 7'4" M, F, up to 1.5 oz.lure - priced at $99, which may be somethign to look at. Unfortunately FHR, the the 8'6" Wild River costs a little more than I want to spend on a rod alone. Looks nice though.

Any further suggestions welcome, and thanks again for your insights!

p.s. Noone has comments on Shoal Lake?

keep the rod you got and maybe upgrade the reel to something a little lighter , Shoal lake is a great place for pike , Ontario Out of Doors Magazine rated Shoal Lake as the number 1 drive to northern pike lake in Ontario. The lodge is first rate and I know theres lots of Kesagami fans here (also a great place ) but if I had the choice I would go back to Shoal before kesagami , but booth are great trips . imho

For the price range you're looking at you can't go wrong with a St Croix Primier series.... http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.a...mp;section=spin (Just clict the "ROD SPECS" tab under the pics of the rods) With out a doubt they're one of the best rods you can in the 100$ range. I have an ultra lite and just bought the 8' Primier Surf this winter. Great rods! My next suggestion would be a Fenwick HMG. Mayby a bit more but well worth it. I have 3 Fenwicks and love them all. http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php?k=7...%20%20(1117412)

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

If shoal lake compares to Kesagami then you're going to want something a little more substantial then bass gear with 10lb test. Fishing a lake like Kesagami, you could easily tie into a pike of a lifetime and you want to be ready. If you're willing to spend hundreds or into the thousands of dollars on the trip do yourself a favour and pick up a quality rod and reel. A spinning combo is fine but look for something MH and a reel with a larger line capacity and good drag. Braided line is the way to go with spinning reels since you don't want to put over 12lb test mono on a spinning reel.