Lures attract fisherpeople.. not fish

irishfield

So as I browsed a couple stores today and brought home my new finds to put in my tackle boxes.... anyone ever notice that all the ice fishing jigs have the added glow paint dots/glitter and what have you on the TOP. Not the bottom, that the fishies see, to come up and hit ?

:whistling:

Edited by irishfield

I also notice on jigging spoons.....like a buckshot for example.....the eye on the spoon is at the top of the spoon.......I always take off the hooks so the eyes are where the hook is. Ever seen a fish grab its lunch by the tail?

Sinker

lures cathching fishermen(women)

So in BPS on Sunday - in the arbogast bin- thought I might buy a new shiny Hula Popper,

I have 5 - they look real great from the top - but the bottom is either all yellow or all white

alreday have 4 like that!- plus 1 all black

fish only see the bottom (don't they?) so probably plain unpainted white plastic would be

just as effective - I passed !

Yep action over paint any day. It's funny over the years making wood baits (only 3 or 4 years so far) You have to water test your baits before paint and epoxy to make sure they run true. I've caught a couple pike and had some follows by musky with nothing but a wood paint job. :lol: And if you go to lure building sites lot's of guys report this all the time, and in reality 90% of fish have a white bottom so really pretty much every lure should have a white bottom with green and black for most species, but hey it looks good and gives guys confidence so it can't hurt.

I just looked up, good point Robin,lol.

Edited by GbayGiant

Its called Jewlery for the outdoors person.. :)

I wasn't going to say anything but now UI can't resist.....

Sunday me and the misses were at BPS, we wanted to buy a new gas auger and an Aqua View, the store was packed, we didn't see what we needed right away, so off we went for some help.

Some yo yo manger in a white shirt was too busy talking to 2 other Staff members about his Face Book Page (by the way I hate face book), to help us out with a $1000.00 give or take, purchase.

So we finally found some lady who was posing as a staffer, we asked her for some help, she looked my wife squarley in the face and said.."I work in jewlery, you will have to find someone else to help you"

Needless to say we left with out spending 2 cents, we will never go back to that place, we will continue to do our shopping at independant stores, even if it costs us a few dollars more, the service is worth it....especially when you get free vests, eh Jerry? :clapping:

Yep action over paint any day. It's funny over the years making wood baits (only 3 or 4 years so far) You have to water test your baits before paint and epoxy to make sure they run true. I've caught a couple pike and had some follows by musky with nothing but a wood paint job. :lol: And if you go to lure building sites lot's of guys report this all the time, and in reality 90% of fish have a white bottom so really pretty much every lure should have a white bottom with green and black for most species, but hey it looks good and gives guys confidence so it can't hurt.

I just looked up, good point Robin,lol.

I remember reading an article a long time ago about black lures. This guy would paint all his lures black. His reasoning was, it's all in the action and seeing that silhouette. And black made the best silhouette...especially looking up from below.

Makes sense to me.............but I'm not running out to get a can of black spraypaint.

Maybe we should do a little experiment! (please read my entire post before posting)

I will have some of our lures made in all black on our next order. Lets choose 7 of the hard lure types ( first 7 people to choose 1 type each ) and type it in this thread.

Lures are here - www.hammerheadlures.com

Then I will select 10 people who will each get a set of 7 custom all black Hammerhead lures (for free of course).

All we need in exchange is a small report from each of the exeptees of this experiment with your thoughts and findings In a new thread we will create sometime in july.

All I ask is please don't volunteer for this if you are not going to follow through with it.

With all that said, I personally think that black will be " just another color" it will work well on some days and not on others. And better in some bodies of water than others.

P.S. The first 10 people to post in this thread "I want In" will be "In". :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan... the first place I noticed this "colour dot" on the top was your ice jigs! LOL

I'll let someone else play the "black" game... while I try out all the other pretty colours!

The ice jigs hang vertically so in that case it's more of a back and front thing :blahblah1: