Air Lufthansa A320 Nearly Crashes (NF)

young_one

Wow...I had a similar experience landing at Pearson....not as extreme, but enough to make the old heart stop for a second and then resume beating at 160 beats per minute!

Same thing...crosswind...I could see we were not parallel to the runway...

The plane sways back and forth across the runway, feels about 20 feet off the ground....

The left wheels hit the ground (we are on an angle)....waiting what seemed like forever for the right wheels to make contact...in reality it was probably about 15 or 20 seconds.

The cabin became completely quiet...I think we were all even holding our breath.

It's not until we taxi at a slow speed that people start to murmur again.

I look at the guy across the aisle from me and he says "I've flown hundreds of time...THAT was interesting".

Some people waste good money going to an amusement park for action like that !

I know! I always figured that the airlines should throw in some of this stuff with the cost of the flight.

I would really like to do some of that low altitude stuff like the jet fighters do. :lol:

I really enjoy watching those and hearing some of the stories that some of the seasoned pilots tell... as long as it has no human tragedy of course.

One of my favourite old ones is the story of the time Jose Feliciano's flight was delayed for a long period of time and Jose had convinced the pilot who had been a long time friend of Feliciano's to take his dog for a walk around the plane. Apparently, the look of sheer fright in the passengers' eyes watching their pilot walking a seeing eye dog around the plane was alone worth the price of the flight.

Wayne, should he have applied a little more right aileron when doing the left rudder?

He was givin'r all she had captain....

No landing lights were harmed in the making of this landing.... :thumbsup_anim:

Rule #1 in aviation... never try to salvage a bad landing approach... go around and see if you can bend it right the second time!

Hey wayne why didnt he know that with the wind blowing sideways like that,he should have never even tried that landing...i would think he got read the riot act for that not so smart move !!!!!should he have not diverted to another airport ???? be fore he even tried that very risky landing?? :stretcher::dunno::blink:

He knew Shawn... all the way down final approach he knew and had it under control... just got a little extra umph from the wind under the right wing at the wrong time. It's what keeps it interesting and your skills honed. He had it staying on centerline and generally that's a good indicator it will work out fine. If they all went on straight and with a thump...pilots would get pretty complacent. Depending how hard a thump that is......" Was that a landing... or were we shot down?" :dunno:

He would have been read a bigger "riot act" for getting there and then choosing an alternate and burning a 10 or 20 grand more worth of fuel + all demm passengers ticked off they missed their connecting flight or where their cars are parked!. He landed it just fine on the second attempt.

Edited by irishfield