Where to take a young family for fishing vacation

sbtennant

Would like some suggestions on a drive in trip from Detroit area for a very young family. Kids are 2 and 4 and wife doesn't do alot of fishing. Will need good and safe acomodations. A pool, lodge and/or kid's activity program might help. Love to fish walleye (pickerel), will need panfish for the kids and my BELLY, but a trophy would be nice too! Would likely travel around the 21st of June. Thanks in Advance.

Given you are looking for family activities, I would lean towards a resort rather then a lodge...

Deerhurst comes to mind, Tonnes to do for the kids and wife, and you get to get out and do some fishing.

Also if you happen to golf, there are two courses.

G

When it's a vacation with the kids this is where we go www.southviewcottages.com on rice lake we've been going there for years. It just makes for a nicer time when everyone is happy Great people that run it. Tons of pan fish off of their huge docks for the kids. I sneak out for walley, muskie & bass. clean cottages, grounds, park and pool. only thing is you have to cook your own meals.....but it cuts down on the cost!!!

Good luck with your search.

5 Mile Lake Lodge - 2.5 hours from Sault Ste Marie - about 6.5 from Detroit, fishing is great - the kids will catch walleye in this lake like they would pan fish in most other lakes. The worlds largest game reserve is 20 minutes away - lots of opportunites to see bears, wolves, moose. 2 years ago there was a lynx hanging out around the lodge.

You can take a tour of the gold mines - 1 hour away in Timmins. Thedrive to Wawa is beautiful, makes a great afternoon to see the giant goose and have an Ice Cream. No pool - and as for all of us dreamers, not alot of people will be in the water in mid June - Water is still to chilly for the kids.

Edited by 4Reel

I'm with Gerritt on the Deerhurst trip. You have great fishing, great golfing and the town of Huntsville all within easy reach. You may also want to look at Cleveland's House on Lake Rosseau. Great spot for the kids and for fishing as well.

You can get a free resort ontario booklet or use the on-line for info. Click over the resort name.

1-800-363-7227 Good for North America

Half of the resorts will have a toll-free line.

http://www.resorts-ontario.com/resorts/?resort_id=10046

For Free Ontario Road Map and other info, 1-800-Ontario

Skip all the numbers and press 0 for an operator.

try www.delawana.com huge dock with tons of fish for the kids...I caught a 2 lb smallmouth jiggling a bare worm underneath with my son...saw another kid pick up an 8lb pike....kids love the place...mom's love the place...you can take a guided fishing trip for bass or muskie or rent your own great fishing in the 30,000 island area of Georgian Bay, when we were there half of the people seemed to be from Michigan and were returning every year