Trailer Modifacation

mbac31

I'm loking at changing my current trailer to a Tandem or maybe if someone here has one I can maybe buy it. My current trailer has hydraulic 10" disc brakes an all the bells and whistles except dual axle. How would I go about changing this. I'm not sure if I need to put hydraulic brakes on the other set of wheels if I went about doing this modifacation. Maybe someone here could steer me to someone who knows more about this. I live in Toronto and I can travel to bring it to someones shop. I just need to do this the proper way. I beleive I would have to change the ownership as well after doing such work. Has anyone ever done this.

I have 2 tandems now and they sem to be more balanced on the highway. When a dam truck passes me with this one it puts the bugger all over the road. I think the trailer was done from factory at minimal thought. I think with the dual axle it would ride better on the highway and if I can add the extra brakes it will stop faster if need be. I'm just keeping safety in mind. I have pulled a trailer for years and this one just seems to be a little jittery. I have pulled a 28 ft gooseneck as well as a 6x12, both trailers are enclosed and stick to the road but this one sometimes is all over the place with the single axle.

I have 2 tandems now and they sem to be more balanced on the highway. When a dam truck passes me with this one it puts the bugger all over the road. I think the trailer was done from factory at minimal thought. I think with the dual axle it would ride better on the highway and if I can add the extra brakes it will stop faster if need be. I'm just keeping safety in mind. I have pulled a trailer for years and this one just seems to be a little jittery. I have pulled a 28 ft gooseneck as well as a 6x12, both trailers are enclosed and stick to the road but this one sometimes is all over the place with the single axle.

Before undertaking a conversion...

The trailer might be unstable due to front/rear balance. A longer wheelbase from tongue to axle will pull better than a short wheelbase.

A tandem trailer will always pull nicer (less sway) because the two axles inherently want to travel in a straight line. The trick is getting equal weight on both axles to reduce pivot on one axle (heavy) and brake lock up on the other (lighter) axle. This requires you to mount leaf spings seperated by a "weight equalizer" in the middle.

I think most parts would be available at Princess Auto but you might have a hard time adding an axle as opposed to replacing yours with a tandem setup. Probably a lot easier and maybe cheaper in the end.

-Brian

I have went to bass pro and saw this exact trailer in a Tandem version for the heavier Glass boats. Same measurements just a little different placement on the axles. I wont be doing this myself if I di indeed do it. I would be looking for someone to do it for me.

There's a fella in the n/w corner of Peterboro that builds custom trailers and from what I've seen he does excellent work. Seems like most of his work is enclosed trailers for construction gear & horses, that sorta stuff, but he could certainly give you some advice on what you need, or I would assume could do it for you.

He's done some work on my boat trailer and I've been more than happy with both the work and his prices.

He's on Chemong Road just south of hwy 7

Bruce Trailer Fabricators

705-203-2884