Dominican Republic

Daplumma

I am headed to The Dominican Republic this Thursday for a week.I did a search and read the posts and am wondering if anyone has any more input.I am taking a medium spinning set up and a small assortment of jigs,spoons,plastics and crankbaits.Any other suggestions for things to do there?

Joe

You will see mostly European vacationers there, and that means two things: lots of topless women walking around the beach, vitatiated by an equal number of fat dudes walking around in speedos! The Lord giveth with one hand and taketh with the other.

My wife just got back from there 2 weeks ago Joe and really enjoyed herself. Fabulous weather and beautiful beaches and she said the people were unbelievably friendly.

Have a great trip !!

Actually just got back from DR last Saturday.. Stayed at the Grand Oasis, which is a great hotel. Beach was 5 star, but the fishable water was pretty nil. Purchased a 3 piece st-croix specifically for the trip, thinking I might find some fishable water. Apparently, it is forbidden to develop beaches, so I thought I'd find some great flats. I did find some flats, but anything you'll see inside the breakwall, is tiny.

Funny thing, I did see a local catch a moray eel and a small ray from one of the docs, but everything else was basically bait...

My advice would be to book a charter for deep sea fishing. BOOK THROUGH THE HOTEL. I made the mistake of booking through a local outfitter, and needless to say, we're lucky to have escaped with our lives.

Send me a PM if you require any more info.

Have a great trip either way!

cheers

HD

I am headed to The Dominican Republic this Thursday for a week.I did a search and read the posts and am wondering if anyone has any more input.I am taking a medium spinning set up and a small assortment of jigs,spoons,plastics and crankbaits.Any other suggestions for things to do there?

Joe

Just bring us back a card full of fish pics :whistling:

Don't eat the BBQ monkey meat on a stick... even if it smells good!

The dark rum is good and will work for washing out wounds should you happen to step on a Sting Ray or Hardhead Catfish while wading.

You'll be sorry if you touch the pretty blue and pink ballons floating on the water (Portugese Man of Wars).

Tarpon and Snook around the lights at night. Snook, Mangrove Snapper, and 'Cudas around the Mangrove Islands during the day. Snook, 'Cudas, and Lookdowns around bridge pilings. Scoop Peeler Crabs off of seawalls with a small net for Bonefish and Permit.

No hanky panky on the beach without a blanket... sand is not good "down there"!

If you hear deep toned cello music while swimming, get out of the water FAST!!!

Just as a side note, there has been a Malaria outbreak there for a number of years. Make sure you bring lots of mosquito repellent and check out these government websites if you're concerned:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=77000

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/2008/mal_dr080206-eng.php

Remember you'll have to check it in because of the liquid ban on carry on luggage.

Many travellers from Canada don't realize that Malaria exists in the Dominican Republic and travel agents are reluctant to give you the heads up in fear of scaring away business. It's certainly good to know though. I don't know whether the anti-malaria medication is over kill or not. You have to take that two weeks in advance of your trip anyways so too late for that regardless. Your Doctor could advise you on that if you're concerned. The resorts are generally okay because they routinely spray but if you're going off property to go fishing for example, protect yourself for sure.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I thought you may like to know. It's a great place and you'll have a great time.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Joe, go to one of the many kitchens at your resort and get them to give you some shrimp.....I watched a guy 2 years ago on the beach catching 2-3 pound fish (don't know what they were??) but he was having a blast all by himself.....I walked up to him and asked what he was using and he told me that the kitchen staff gave him some shrimps and bread.....he threw the bread out first which attracted smaller fish and then the bigger ones came in and took the shrimp.....you could hear this guy laughing to himself a mile away!!! LOL!!!

Have a great time!!! Have a couple Cuba Libre for me!!!!

Chrispy!

I was there a few weeks ago. The Bavaro beach is very long and beautiful and the water warm, but has very little structure. The reef is well off shore so you are better going on a charter. For tours, I did the "Reef Explorer" to snorkle with the rays and sharks, not the party boat version. Cost ~ $80. Good food, service, drinks and great weather. Here are a few underwater shots and the parrot's claws did pinch the skin but that is what the rum was for. Enjoy!