New hand tied jigs

kennyman

I just bought these last night from a gentleman in Burlington. He hand ties these beauties and has set them up as a system where there is a light, a dark, and a colorful model in each style to suit different water colours/lighting conditions/situations. Has anyone on the board used these or similar? I'd be very interested in the details. ;) He's a nice guy too. If anyone wants to know who he is just pm me.

jig_pic_1.jpg

jig_pic_2.jpg

jig_pic_3.jpg

jig_pics_4.jpg

I use similar jigs quite frequently for Brook Trout. Those are beautiful and they would catch Brookies guaranteed!

PM sent..

Brookyjighead.jpg

Hey Dan, if I catch one beauty like that,it'll be worth it. Did you make that jig in the pic? Maybe someday I'll be that talented (like Mepps) . For now I guess I'll just buy them. What made me buy them is I was watching Fish TV and Leo Stakos was catching walleye on one very similar and outcatching Ron James who was using a crankbait I believe (Leo outfish Ron ...Naah,must be the lure right?). They mentioned that they were tied by somebody in Oakville, Burlington or somewhere local but I forgot. Who knows I may have all the details wrong, but the "weird" (to me) lure tied by someone local stuck in my brain. Then I ran across these and thought they looked very familiar. I pm'd the guy and asked whether there was a connection. He said yeah, I tied jigs for those guys, Henry and Italo and Bob Izumi (he mentioned others too). Apparently he had a portable "store" that he used to follow the circuit with. He then gave me tips on fishing them, like using the "white's" on Simcoe etc. All in all it was a great buying experience. Now it's up to me to make them catch fish I guess. :Gonefishing: Oh Dan, I sent you a pm reply as well.

Edited by kennyman

No Kennyman, I didn't tie the jig in the photo. A very good friend if mine ties them for me. I've probably posted this photo about 10 times now, but here's a muddler jig tied by my buddy. I give him the grouse feathers that he uses for the over sized pectoral fins and he does the rest. If I had to pick one artificial for big Brookies, this would be it.

And thanks for the pm..

Muddler1.jpg

I often use marabou feather jigs that I make myself. Nothing breathes in the water like marabou. On top of that, you don't get any short bites like you do with plastic curly tails etc. The hook set is much better because it is not already full of plastic. Another added bonus is the fact that you can use a lighter lead head because there is no plastic tail that floats. However, you sometimes want the lure to drop slower to the bottom in many cases so you can add a collar of marabou and still have enough room for a plastic tail behind the lead head.

Edited by Dabluz

I often use marabou feather jigs that I make myself. Nothing breathes in the water like marabou. On top of that, you don't get any short bites like you do with plastic curly tails etc. The hook set is much better because it is not already full of plastic. Another added bonus is the fact that you can use a lighter lead head because there is no plastic tail that floats. However, you sometimes want the lure to drop slower to the bottom in many cases so you can add a collar of marabou and still have enough room for a plastic tail behind the lead head.

Marabou is good. I prefer either rabbit or arctic fox hair. They both breathe at least as well as marabou and are far more durable when toothy fish are munching on jigs. The other benefit to rabbit is that the hide is great for holding scent.

Bunch of nice looking jigs in this thread. Here's some that I tie

Walleye jigs on "weedripper" heads. The inline tie makes them great in the weeds. The bottom one is wetted to show the shape they take in the water

newjigs002af2.th.jpg

A batch of new speck/splake jigs. The top 2 are rabbit fur bodies, the bottom one is mallard flank.

newjigs005ww0.th.jpg

A batch of 1/16 trout jigs. Some wooly buggers, some streamer patterns and one rabbit hair.

newjigs006wl2.th.jpg

Keep the pics coming. It's great to see what other folks are using

I'm new to using hair jigs for anything other than bass. but they do work real good for that!

I am defintely interested in what I have have seen above, being a fly tier.

Singing Dog, may I ask where you get those walleye jig heads?... nice job BTW.

I remember a time when there were no plastic jigs. The first one I ever saw was the Beetle Jig. The best jigs I ever used for walleye were marabou jigs made by a company called "Evans". I still have some.

Yea, I tye lots of jigs. Last year I caught most of my fish - smallies, pickerel, musky, trout - on hand-tied jigs and spinnerbaits. Just like flyfishing, tying your own jigs doubles the joy of catching fish. Jigs are just flys with a weight on them: easy and cheap to tie.

Those weedripper heads are made by a local tackle maker. They do a great perch and firetiger patterns. One of the difficulties is finding good jigheads that aren't outrageously priced. I laugh when I see bare jigheads in tackle shops for $1/each. I can tie 4-5 jigs for that price.

I can hear...FISH-ON !!!!!!...already..LOL..LOL :w00t::whistling: great lloking jigs for sure,good luck with them,i also tie all my own worm harnessesand spinners and it feels so good when you catch fish with them,and you can learn real quick what colors ,and what weights work best cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Some sharp looking work there fellas. I like the look saddle feathers give to the jigs, especially when wet.

There's always a time and place for hair jigs. Most searun trout I catch up here are on black/brown or white, and a number of eyes have fallen prey to pink, orange, white and chartreuse or color combos of these. One bucktail can sometimes outlive a bag of plastics, when ya lose one though you're like DOH!!!