"so what would you do"

wow,wow, wow!

that's all I can say....

for those of you interested here's what has transpired

the mistake was trully an honest one on my part

I had purchased a lot of items...you know how it goes...you get carried away at the sale and you start grabbing bobbles(lures) by the handfull along with a couple of bigger ticket items (the vest was $60.00 interesting what it had blown into in some minds)....I truly had no idea what the total would be, but I was, as I had said, somewhat pleasantly surprised as it was less than my usual total.

I did check my receipt when I got home and realized what had happened...the vest was paid for prior to this post, I however ended up feeling more like a sucker than a good samaritan and I'll explain why.... when returning to pay for the vest I was greeted with a distrusting eye by the store pseudo manager....after paying for it, it seemed his real concern was with the cashier that let this slip by and I felt bad for him. When relating this experience with my coworkers an informal pole revealed I was the only one of nine that would have done the same thing.

So I ended up feeling like a sucker...seeing as this was somewhat fishing related I posted the question to the board expecting 10 or so responses was amazed at what transpired.

my unofficial tally

return to pay

31 votes

dunno

4 votes

keep and run

11 votes

int the above there were some really funny people, some angry people, and 6 judgements of my character, many of which I don't believe really understood the situation

how did it become Lebaron's (it wasn't) but that somehow made a difference to some

only 1 "what would Jesus do" I was waiting for that one

the value of the item kept on inflating as the post went on

there were almost 1800 views of this post and perhaps in a lot of cases this board is much less than anonymous so that may have tilted things a bit because I truly believe that the responses don't reflect human nature

as I now have come to regret the decision that I have made...I should have kept it and considered it good fortune

Funny how human morals are....

If it was Wal Mart, CTC, Bass Pro I would have said keep it and good on you!

If it was a privatley run store, Fishing World, Grisby Bait and Tackle, Pete's Tackle etc., I would have called you immoral for not returning and paying. I guess we al like to stick it to the man when we havethe chance, when it is someone who we can relate to or someone chasing a dream then our human nature takes over and we want to and feel compelled to do what is right.

Anyways, Jerry you can sleep well tonight.

On the downside, there are no excuses for not catching fish, I saw some of the members post this crap, WOW, what excuse would they want you to use now? LOL

Nope...well maybe....uhhhh....actually....if I take that and give there, and do this after I do that...will it all even out?...not sure...gamble, gamble,...but...hang on...if I disbelieve what I know, pretend to not see, is that intentional or stupidity on my part....hmmmmm...check back again tomorrow.

Or...since it happened to you....go again, to the same teller (the good looking one) and if it happens again...ask the sweetie out.

Nope, I don't change my mind at all.

I am glad I stood up for you, because you are a good guy. (the above makes that quite apparent)

Its just too bad that some people took the topic in a bad direction by directing comments towards certain people.

It wasn't your fault, so no matter what anyone said, your not a thief.

Hopefully that happens to me when I go to BPS next weekend! hahaha

Guest skeeter99

all stores big and small/ family run etc.

expect this to happen from time to time, it is called "shrink" every business has it some more than others

this reminds of what actually happened to me this year in the middle of january

was in the grocery store they had a tonne of smoked hams on sale they ranged from $25 to $35

so I was poking through looking for a smaller cheaper one that I liked and in the corner of my eye I see the price sticker $00.01 **I look twice** yes it said one cent

I threw it in my cart, dug through and low and behold found another for 1 cent (the barcode does not lie) LOL!!!!

got to the cash and the guy rung it through and said oops!! unfortunately I have to give you both these for 2 cents cause that is what the barcode reads

I basically stoled 2, 15 pound smoked bone-in hams

do I feel bad

hell no they screwed up!!!!

Edited by skeeter99

Nope...well maybe....uhhhh....actually....if I take that and give there, and do this after I do that...will it all even out?...not sure...gamble, gamble,...but...hang on...if I disbelieve what I know, pretend to not see, is that intentional or stupidity on my part....hmmmmm...check back again tomorrow.

Or...since it happened to you....go again, to the same teller (the good looking one) and if it happens again...ask the sweetie out.

not there's anything wrong with that but not my team

I want to retract my vote. Now I want to keep the vest. But I would never trust it because of the bad karma. So... what if I gave it to my wife as a gift. (good karma) :whistling: Would that balance things out? :huh:

I want to retract my vote. Now I want to keep the vest. But I would never trust it because of the bad karma. So... what if I gave it to my wife as a gift. (good karma) :whistling: Would that balance things out? :huh:

Either that or you would finally start to outfish your wife :thumbsup_anim:

Since it was only worth 60 bucks I would tend to keep it only because it would be such a pain to take back and return and pay for with the automatic inventory software out there. If it was more I would probably take it back.

Call me a cynic, but am I the only one wondering...

is it easier to post the moral high ground...with your name signed on it and lord over anyone thinking the opposite as opposed to posting on a public board that you'd keep it

is it possible that in 'real' life, with nobody looking or knowing, some or most of the 'return it and pay for it' crowd might have gone on with their new vest and kept mum about it, rather than driving back to the store which made a mistake and pay...

My 2 cents on it is this: I would be hard pressed to justify the time involved with driving back to the store and returning it, without any compensation for my time and inconvenience, unless it was a small ma and pa shop and I knew the owner etc

I drive to the store, select merchandise and pay with a smile, and pay, the store has ample opportunity to bill me and receive payment...after that...its tough luck. And its not theft...as you need to have an intention to steal the merchandise and lining up and presenting for payment to a cashier is not an intention to steal...its an intention to pay.

and, unscanned merchandise does not come out of the cashiers pocket...as the transaction on the register would match the cash received...unscanned merchandise would show up as an inventory shortage or shrinkag, as avoiding the burden being placed on the cashier might be another reason to return to the store if there is a cash discrepancy.

I personally hate a certain chain store...I'd proudly keep it if it was that store, with a smile...call me whatever, and it would be the stores karma being returned to them.

I drive to the store, select merchandise and pay with a smile, and pay, the store has ample opportunity to bill me and receive payment...after that...its tough luck. And its not theft...as you need to have an intention to steal the merchandise and lining up and presenting for payment to a cashier is not an intention to steal...its an intention to pay.

EXACTLY! Very well said.

He did, as a consumer, exactly what he was supposed to.

Their mistake, his bonus!

Call me a cynic, but am I the only one wondering...

is it easier to post the moral high ground...with your name signed on it and lord over anyone thinking the opposite as opposed to posting on a public board that you'd keep it

is it possible that in 'real' life, with nobody looking or knowing, some or most of the 'return it and pay for it' crowd might have gone on with their new vest and kept mum about it, rather than driving back to the store which made a mistake and pay...

My 2 cents on it is this: I would be hard pressed to justify the time involved with driving back to the store and returning it, without any compensation for my time and inconvenience, unless it was a small ma and pa shop and I knew the owner etc

and, unscanned merchandise does not come out of the cashiers pocket...as the transaction on the register would match the cash received...unscanned merchandise would show up as an inventory shortage or shrinkag, as avoiding the burden being placed on the cashier might be another reason to return to the store if there is a cash discrepancy.

I personally hate a certain chain store...I'd proudly keep it if it was that store, with a smile...call me whatever, and it would be the stores karma being returned to them.

Kirk,I will call you a cynic.I am sure you are not the only one wondering though.I wont beat a dead horse on this.Plain and simple bud,you either believe in doing the right thing for whatever reason or you believe that if someone makes a mistake in your favor its just too bad for them.The driving back to the store and all that without compensation have no bearing on right or wrong.You went thru the hassle of driving there to buy something,right?Be it Karma,Christianity,Budda or The gods of the flaot suit the people that will return and pay have a compelling inner reason to do it and no amount of disbelieving will change that.Did you ever have anyone tell you a really nasty rumor about someone?Did you feel good that they told you cause they could trust you?Or did you wonder why this person thought you were the type that would enjoy such crap?That is the crux of this argument.Which person are you?Not to single you out Kirk,you have been here a long time and I enjoy your posts,just speaking up for the "other" side.We are not all the same and that is what makes this world so great.

Joe

On that note...I also belong to that group that was lion bait for the ancient romans.

I also believe the place or amount is immaterial---there is right or wrong in this instance--not much gray area.

I read earlier in this thread about "In real Life" well in my real life within the last calendar year I was not charged on my credit card for a rental I used while moving---to the tune of 1800.00 dollars---Well I had it budgeted in the plan --so I called the company and asked them to investigate.

A mistake by a dealer at the other end--they thanked me and knocked 200 of the price---Even if they did not---As I stated in the first thread as a father and Christian how can I do otherwise.

I believe we all need to try in this world to get society to function peacefully.

Bushart

I am thinking that the "results of the poll" would have been MUCH more even had it been anonymous.... I will bet a lot of people did not want to be "judged" if they sided with the "keep it and run" group....

Notice I did not reply to the original post :whistling: .....

Burt :)

I am thinking that the "results of the poll" would have been MUCH more even had it been anonymous.... I will bet a lot of people did not want to be "judged" if they sided with the "keep it and run" group....

Notice I did not reply to the original post :whistling: .....

Burt :)

I disagree,I think most are comfortable here giving there names and opinions.For the most part over the years this group of people does do the right thing.

Joe

So here I was at a gas station after filling up, and after shopping for some snacks I went to the counter and totally forgot that I had filled up. About 10 minutes later on the Highway, realized that I had accidently stole some gas. Common sense told me to go back and pay for the gas, but the Gazoo in my head said too sad too bad. It still bugs me to this day, if you can believe that. What would of you done in that situation fellas? Dont worry I wont judge ya

I dont think I would notice .50 but if I did I would mention it to the manager next time I was there.Only to ward off the bad karma of the ill gotten gain.Its not about the amount or looking down your snoot,its knowing that you didn't pay your dues.To each his own...

Joe