What I did on Sunday - NF

ccmtcanada

Here's a video of one of my fav Eagles tunes....Tequila Sunrise...

<BR><BR>

There's a commentary on it that explains what it takes to multi track record.

<BR><BR>

Hope you enjoy!!

<BR><BR>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

awesome recording! it's cool to see another sound "engineer" on here. I've also got a small home studio thing goin on. I just finished a project with a couple Hip-Hop artists. they recorded 15 songs over the past couple months and they just finished a couple days ago. i can't wait to start doing bands though. rap is not really my expertise.

It's amazing how many tracks go into a single song. For those who had never thought about this before...

A regular 5 piece rock band will consist of:

a full drum set will consist of 16 separate tracks (sometimes more), 2 rhythm guitar tracks + 1 lead guitar track, 1 bass track, 1 lead vocal, generally at least 2 Harmony vocals or background vocals. i have heard songs with up to 6 or 7 different vocal harmony tracks.

here's another little tidbit that i'm sure a lot of people were unaware of... the lead singer of a band will usually do all of the vocal tracks on a recording (lead vocals as well as harmonies) then when they play live someone else will sing the background parts. the reason for this is that the main vocalist can harmonize with himself a lot better than someone else trying to harmonize with him. The Eagles are an exception to this however.

Awesome job Cliff! Sounds pretty perfect to me!! Did you edit it all on computer or do you do it with tape/mixer??

WTG!

ßill

Hey Bill, this was all done digitally on my computer. I used to use those 4 and 8 track tapes...but they are too much of a pain in the butt for me. I use a free program called Audacity...can record up to 256 tracks and mix them all together...been perfect for me!

Thanks....not perfect..but good enough for rock and roll....haha.

awesome recording! it's cool to see another sound "engineer" on here. I've also got a small home studio thing goin on. I just finished a project with a couple Hip-Hop artists. they recorded 15 songs over the past couple months and they just finished a couple days ago. i can't wait to start doing bands though. rap is not really my expertise.

It's amazing how many tracks go into a single song. For those who had never thought about this before...

A regular 5 piece rock band will consist of:

a full drum set will consist of 16 separate tracks (sometimes more), 2 rhythm guitar tracks + 1 lead guitar track, 1 bass track, 1 lead vocal, generally at least 2 Harmony vocals or background vocals. i have heard songs with up to 6 or 7 different vocal harmony tracks.

here's another little tidbit that i'm sure a lot of people were unaware of... the lead singer of a band will usually do all of the vocal tracks on a recording (lead vocals as well as harmonies) then when they play live someone else will sing the background parts. the reason for this is that the main vocalist can harmonize with himself a lot better than someone else trying to harmonize with him. The Eagles are an exception to this however.

Yeah...I've been dabbling in it for a few years now...using my band as guinea pigs! With me it's all in the the prep work...getting the right levels before recording is key! I dont have drum mics, so I use a 4 mic setup for them...bass drum, snare/hi hat/overhead left and overhead right. It'll take me on average about 45 minutes to to get mic placement and levels for them....so that means little editing for drums. You are right as far as most bands are concerned. I sing all our recorded vocal tracks, but we have someone who does back up vocals when we play live.

Hey Bill, this was all done digitally on my computer. I used to use those 4 and 8 track tapes...but they are too much of a pain in the butt for me. I use a free program called Audacity...can record up to 256 tracks and mix them all together...been perfect for me!

Thanks....not perfect..but good enough for rock and roll....haha.

Neat stuff....will have to have a look for that program.....sounds like a neat thing to play around with. We used to mess about with an 8 track when I was younger......not so much music per se....but a whole bunch of stuff all bowled into one......certainly nothing like you are/were doing though.....but it was neat to play around with. IIRC it was a UHER deck that we used.....not sure why but my friend had one LOL. Computers certainly make thinks a lot easier thats for sure.

Great job Cliff!!!!

ßill