Crappie Weekend

Jen

Well all in all weekends go by rather quickly , from anticipating the approaching Friday to arrival of Sunday Night and it's over already, it seems a little bit of a let down... However, in reflecting back mine was filled with a few good moments...

I do not often get an opportunity to wander off on my own these days to fish. It just seems as if there is always something that needs to be done... so today I decided to head out onto the marina and see what I could catch.

The ice was over a foot thick, which meant it took me a while to drill the hole and get all set up, but when I did it was well worth my efforts. The sun was shinning, air was crisp, snow crunched under my feet as I watched my bobber bounce on top of the green tinted water in my hole. I had found peace... and oh what a wonderful feeling that was.

Zachary (little jigger) joined me for a bit and managed to catch himself a smelt... which of course I insisted on him keeping and cooking... only because he wasn't really thrilled with them last time. This time we removed the bone head and tail and he was much happier, however I don't think I will be cleaning a smelt again for him like that.

After a little break in fishing to enjoy some company I headed back out to the hut with my brother Sonny... only an hour before dinner would be ready it was a nice little break which yielded me lunch for tomorrow. I have never eaten a crappie, so I figured it was about time I see what all the fuss is about.

crappie2.jpg

With walleye fishing done for the season we had a blast watching all the fish on the vexlar chasing our minnow tipped jigs...

Looks like the kids are getting hooked on fishing!

Hope everyone had a great weekend as well!

Cheers,

Jen

Well Twilight, I will have to say we only caught one smelt... but since my son is just now learning how to fish I wanted to make a big deal about it... I am new to many varieties of fish, how to clean them, how to cook them, and what they taste like. So experimenting in filleting and cooking we do together... And all have been yummy, even the catfish.

The Sport of fishing always brings a smile to my face, as I never know what I have caught till I get it to the hole or out of the water, and as Sonny will tell you, I will do just about anything to get them on the ice. It seems they always want to spit the hook just as you get them a tad out of the water... hand in, scoop fish out... wooohoo... then you go, oh dang, I got a little wet! All worth it in the long run...

Had a blast...

Cheers,

Jen

Making memories that will last a lifetime !@!

Great report,

Nice to see those beauty slabs.

How was the rain down there today? We have almost no snow left in Hamilton :unsure:

See you in a couple of months.

Will be fishing Big Creek just north of Caledonia as soon as the ice is off.

Weather was warm today to say the least... However I am doubting it does much to the ice as they are calling for a winter storm again tomorrow evening...

I live in Hamilton and was amazed to find that my driveway for the first time in weeks was not covered in snow... There are some good things that come with rain!

Have a great evening.

Cheers

Jen

I've never eaten smelt or crappie before, but with names like those, no wonder some people wont try them...LOL.

I may have already tried them if they were called "yummy" and "tasty".

Great report Jen! Good to see you still getting out there when you can.

Edited by ccmtcanada

I've never eaten smelt or crappie before, but with names like those, no wonder some people wont try them...LOL.

I may have already tried them if they were called "yummy" and "tasty".

Great report Jen! Good to see you still getting out there when you can.

All the more for us! :Gonefishing:

Crappie are my favourite Ontario fish to eat.

Walleye are a close second.

Right now, my mouth is watering at the thought of

that sweet, delicate white crappie meat, tantalizing the taste buds.

Mmm, yummy !!!

Way to go Jen.

Glad to hear you're getting the youngsters out there too. :thumbsup_anim: