Solar Chargers...

Gerritt

I looked in today Princess Auto catalogue, as noticed that they have a solar charging kit for 15.00.. They state they are perfect for deep cycle batteries...

I know that I cannot expect the solar panel to charge the battery from a dead state.... but would it work to keep the batteries "topped" up? states it is 1.8 watts.

Anyone have one of these units? and does it keep your batteries conditioned?

G

1.8 w 12 volts = .15 amps

so if you have a 150 amp batteries it would take 1000 hours to charge it up and that's 1000 hours at max sun light....not much value

but hey only 100 hours to raise the battery up 15 amps again that sunlight hours

We use one at our hunt camp to keep the generator battery charged. Works great! Keeps them from freezing in the periods in between visits. Also good for vehicles sitting for a month or two without being driven.

Guest lundboy
I looked in today Princess Auto catalogue, as noticed that they have a solar charging kit for 15.00.. They state they are perfect for deep cycle batteries...

I know that I cannot expect the solar panel to charge the battery from a dead state.... but would it work to keep the batteries "topped" up? states it is 1.8 watts.

Anyone have one of these units? and does it keep your batteries conditioned?

G

You could get a 100 of them and put them in parallel. Should speed up the charging. ;)

Edited by lundboy

I have used them to keep all my batteries topped up, and find them to be quite helpful.

I run my electronics on a separate gell cell battery, and two of these solar panels do the job nicely.

John