LaBarons

Radnine

Hi guys,

Is it just me or is LaBaron’s website from the middle ages?

I’m not trying to piddle in anyone’s Cornflakes and I’m all for loyalties, but Cabela’s website makes the shopping by “adobe non-interactive catalogue” of LaBarons seem almost silly.

From live chat customer service to complete transaction transparency, Cabela’s looks pretty slick.

Why would LaBarons not follow suit? (No, I haven’t asked them).

What am I missing?

Guest lundboy

You're right on that! It's pretty low tech and outdated.

I think it's because it's a family run business. They still use old cash registers in the stores too, not a POS system, if you save the receipts for warranty you better make sure you write on them what you bought, because it just says the price.

They did change their (printed) catalogue over to glossy colour this year though instead of crappy newsprint, YEAH!

Edited by lundboy

i have to agree i use to love lebarons but the last few times i have been in there the staff seem less then interested in helping and getting my business. I have been disappointed with them for sure.

Hope they turn it around they have a good name. they just need to get back to there high service levels.

Cheers!

I am going to have to agree with Rizzo and Lunker, the service levels have plummeted recently.

I went into the Toronto (Buttonville) store and asked the guy behind the counter for a speed sensor for my Hummingbird for my 'travel to new lakes' boat.

He argued with me that it didnt exist. I gave him the model number and and he still insisted they didnt make it. Well, on my way back, I stopped at BPS to see how much it was there. It was $4 bucks cheaper. I would much rather have given LB's my money instead but that guy turned me off of them completely.

Its disappointing when you go to a mom and pop shop and the service is horrible. I will only buy stuff there when its on Sale now, i dont want to waste my time with rude associates going into a place like that.

Mike

Most of you are completely missing the point here. Radnine is only talking about their website, not service or prices.....and I have to agree with him, they really should upgrade their site. It would only increase business for them. Think they need to hire our very own Rick for that job.

won't even consider stepping foot in that hole .

i bought 2 guns and tons of tackle there .no more. the staff is arrogant , snobbish .

sorry , i'm an outdoors guy , i appreciate down to earth people and attidudes.

i'm spending my money where my business ,big or small ,is appreciated , not

happening there. sorry guys ,long time comin'.

Most of you are completely missing the point here. Radnine is only talking about their website, not service or prices.....and I have to agree with him, they really should upgrade their site. It would only increase business for them. Think they need to hire our very own Rick for that job.

Hey this is entertainment, Im learning something here. When there was a Bass Pro critique LeBarons was GOD.

That was only a couple of months ago. Let it Ride. Dont be weak and call MODS yet

I used to share these opinions of the Mississauga store, but no longer. Now when I wander in there, there are a few staff that will actually make it a point to come by and say, 'Nice to see you again. How did that -insert article name- you bought last time work out?'

I like that.

And the website is crap.

Edited by douG

LeBaron-Not LeBaronssss.... I have had issues like everyone else but, name another store in Canada that has a better store lay out or better pricing. The low cost WEBSITE and CASH REGISTERS are just ways to keep overhead down so they can compete. I am surpised like many, that they have survived the BPS presence. Obviously the are doing something right. Lebaron flat out have provided great sales and product. I don`t think the doors of LeBaron will be closing anytime soon. Supporting a Canadian company isn't a bad idea either.

Edited by bassslinger

I know most people here are slagging the web site, yes it could be updated a bit but not sure the concept would change much.

It takes a lot of work to carry large amounts of products. Take lots of changes, They could put the work into it but that would cost a fair amount of money.

For still a baisc Mom\Pop store thats high overhead. Would it change over into large sales to cover the ROI again a large consulting project would be needed.

I like the fact they show most of the products even through its in PDF Form. Same concept as Princess Auto and a few others.

As a note store is what it is, I have never had an issue with service in the Markham store great people.

I like the fact there is other stores, competition keeps people honest

Hey one MAJOR MAJOR plus they have going for them is that their prices are in Canadian $$$!!!!

You can convert BPS prices into canadian funds all you want but that doesn't factor in shipping/border fees

etc. It blows me away that BPS doesn't ship from their canadian store - by the time you get through ordering

online the price goes through the roof!

I was looking at personal pontoons on the net last year, picked one out that was on sale for $300.00 - I knew

it would be more in Canada, but I drove my butt all the way out to vaughn to find out that not only was it NOT

ON SALE in canada, it was $500.00

Anyways, I like 'em both but I say cudos to home-grown companies.

I don't know if I agree with the notion that having a great web site is diametrically opposed to having low prices. I mean is there any chance that their sales would increase with a better website? And would it not be cheaper to house everything in a warehouse and just fill internet orders all day than staff a store?

And as far as the shipping goes (from Cabala’s) I personally live about two hours from BPS, any thoughts as to how much it costs for a four hour round trip these days?

A website with online ordering system doesn't even have close to the overhead it used to. There are out of the box solutions that could have them setup in a week. There is no excuse for an outdated/non up to date website, not with todays extremely low cost solutions.

The website has never been cutting edge at LBs, and I have had very mixed service from them - but their reels are consistently priced $10+ less then BPS (at least they used to be - havent been there in 2 years), and if you get their member card, you can save some cash as well.

Cabelas has the best site and service that I have experienced.

I have had good experiences in LeBarons.

The staff were very knowledgeable and they were friendly.

Prices on tackle was reasonable...some prices were high, but I got some good deals too. I would shop there again.

The website....well it is hard to navigate and could easily be updated for little money (I am in the know). Would improving it help the business? I don't know, thats a business decision.

forrest

Most Canadians of 50+ years old generation do not shop on line, therefore the owner might assume online catalogue is not that important.

I have been selling on line since 1995, mostly to Americans. It is only within the past 4 years, that most of my potential Canadian customer will look at our web catalogue, they would still prefer to shop at our physical store in toronto.

Americans are even more competitive lately due to potential recession, Cabelas and Bass pro are competing against each other heavily for on line shopping business.

Their on line price can be cheaper at times, except for their shipping cost to Canada. I get both of their one line sale weekly and the way they bombard me with their Ads, it is hard not to be tempted to buy things there.

Lebarons catalogue is helpful enough, though quite primitive compared to their Bass Pro. However, for the basic things, they still have good deals .

Website and on-line ordering format suck... but obviously not a priority to them to stay in business.

As for service in the store... can't remember the last time I had to ask for something in a tackle shop. Don't you all just browse, grab and buy? Seriously... had no problem with service either in 1983, when I bought my Lebaron Special (Berkley lightning rod in black) and MAG II baitcaster that I still use, or in 2005/6/7. In 2005 I had great help picking out my downrigging rods/reels (that I'm still happy with) and even being told to be sure I bought a membership first before checking out with the rods/reels and two downriggers!

In all my days of wondering BPS... since it's opened.. I've only had a single occasion where a sales associate asked me if there was something they could help me with... and that was Jackie Chan !

YES their site is old tech and pain at times to find just what you want. That being said if it saves me 20 to 30% over Cabelas or BPS when I have to order online I can handle a little work..... Also no PST is a big plus and no OUTRAGEOUS brokerage/handling charges like the other two.

In the store I have had MUCH better service at Lebaron's than I have ever had at BPS in Vaughn.... I am more likely to pick out what I want in either store though, so I don't really care what the staff acts like for the one or two times a year I need their help.