Another GPS Question

Golfisher

I'm thinking of buying a hand-held GPS and a Navionics chip to go with it. I like Garmin76CSx, but from what I understand it's not compatible with Navionics. That leaves me with Lowrance H2Oc. My concern at this point is the puny size of the screen on any hand-held devices. So the question is: can you read the chart on a hand-held GPS reasonably well, as in hey, this is rather useful, rather than, geez, what a waste of money? Any input would be very much appreciated.

well it depends how old and weak your eyes are on my atv going fast or on my boat going fast I can not read the screen without slowing down or putting my face right to the screen

but trolling or going slower it is no problem seeing everything on the screen

and walking there is never a problem

You might benefit from a review of the features of the new crossover type GPS units. The Lowrance XOH model apparently uses Navionics fishing map charts via the SD slot on the side. Magellan has a crossover type GPS unit too. The display of these crossover units is bigger than the display on a Garmin 76CSx.

Thanks for your input guys. So long the chart is readable and not too inconvenient, I'm good.

I looked at the new crossovers, but they tend to be a bit pricy or have a lousy battery life. Lowrance iWay600C is 700 bucks, while the battery on the much cheaper XOG lasts only a couple of hours. My laptop would last longer on a boat than XOG!