Shimano Canadian Northern ROD?

urbanangler1990

I have a 9.5 foot Canadian Custom, and a 10.5 and 11.5 foot Canadian Northern Series. The 9.5 foot I use to chuck light spoons for spring trout off the piers. The others are very "noodlish"..... A lot of fun on smaller creeks though.... Great rods of their time, still going strong...

The trout in my avatar was caught on the 11.5 footer...

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

so is this rod real soft, and with little backbone, perhaps more or less then the okuma?

I havn't handled the Okuma, but it is of the new generation of float rods, and most certainly has more backbone than the Shimano. The Shimano is labelled a "float rod" but is really a noodle rod, it has a parabolic action, with full flex through the handle. You really cannot turn a fish with any weight with this rod. Although it is good with very light leaders...

I havn't handled the Okuma, but it is of the new generation of float rods, and most certainly has more backbone than the Shimano. The Shimano is labelled a "float rod" but is really a noodle rod, it has a parabolic action, with full flex through the handle. You really cannot turn a fish with any weight with this rod. Although it is good with very light leaders...

Great summation.

I have an 11'6 as well and it's a fun rod but I wouldn't rush out to get another one. If you get something substantial taking a run the best you can do is hang on. The rod will flex all the way down into the handle and you better hope your reel doesn't fall off!

If you do float with it, you'll feel every hit but it's a tough rod to set the hook deep.

-Brian