Neoprenes: Felt vs Lug Sole?

Douger

It depends, Felt has better traction in the water, if you are fishing long pools and don't go up on the bank to far(ie. long hikes between holes) felt is better, if you are fishing smaller pools with long portages between, then you are better with the lugs.

The best thing to do, is buy a pair of boots with lugs and a pair with felt. You can get a decent(not top shelf) for about $100.00 each.

Another alternative is to get a pair of felties and buy a package of screw in cleats(most golf stores).

Felt ALL the WAY for me ... and I like the fact they freeze to the ice ...that way you get traction in the cold when wet :)

Nothing work well on slippery muddy shoreline anyways ... but nothing is as good as felt on slippery submerged rocks wading IMHO

HENSE I GOT 2 PAIRS (1 OF EACH ) BUT IF I HAD TO CHOOSE 1 IT WOULD BE LUGS.

HARDLY ANY ROCKS TO STAND ON OUT HERE WHERE I FISH!!! SAND OR MUD LOL

IF YOU WINTER FISH FELT IS A BAD IDEA UNLESS U LIKE WEARING HIGH HEELS.

ONCE THERE WET AND YOU WALK THREW SNOE TO THE NEXT RUN IT JUST BUILDS AND BUILDS UP UNDERNETH. HARD ON THE BACK OVER A LONG DAY !!!

FELT IS GOOD FOR STICKING TO ICE LIKE CAM SAID THOUGH!!!

FELTS FOR WARMER WEATHER AND ROCKY RIVERS.

LUGS FOR THE REST!!!

JUST MY OP

I believe you can buy felt strips and glue them onto some of the sole, leaving some lor most of the lug sole exposed.

Depends where you fish. If you fish the silty bottom ends of the east tribs, I prefer lug soles. For my needs, lug soles are more useful as I do alot of hiking and found the traction on underwater rocks with lug soles to be pretty good. Just like rods there are different types to meet each condition, but if can have only one, I would suggest the lug soles.

I've had both and much prefer the lugs. The felt is down right dangerous at times as it provides no traction outside of the water. And if there is snow on the ground it just builds up and forms big ice cubes under your feet. Mind you, I use mine for work so I'm in and out of the water a lot.