Braided Line and Fluorocarbon Leaders

Fishnwire

Personally, I use Fireline Crystal on my spinning rods and PowerPro on my baitcasters. I'll use a bit of mono or flouro leader in clearwater/finesse situations. I use masking tape or electrical tape or some mono to back the braid and have never had slip problems. 2 of my friends who have not backed their braid have had bad slippage, costing them fish on the hookset.

Like you I enjoyed using Stealth, and looked forward to Ultracast Invisabraid.

I ordered a 300 yard spool of 30 pound test, and I am very disappointed!

Invisabraid is similar to Fireline Cryistal, in that it looks like plain white butcher string. It is not a tight weave like Powerpro.

My spool may be defective, but I have had numerous break offs...

The line breaks in mid-air 20 or 30 feet away from the reel!!???

The line is also sticky...I find light lures hard to cast because the line sticks to the spool and foals the cast.

This is the line, not me or the rod/reel...I can cure the problem by switching to Powerpro or Fireline.

It might be okay on a spinning reel, but I wouldn't advise anyone to buy it for a baitcaster. In fact I wouldn't suggest that anyone buy it at all!!!

I will put the balance of my 300 yards on a spincast reel for the kid next door.

Garry2rs

Bill on my muskie baitcaster I use Dacron 63 pound test as backing,only do a couple wraps to cover the bottom of the spool. As Irish pointed out,first year I use as is,the second year I reverse it onto another reel.You get 2 years this way.

Unless I chop it all away during the season from re-tying

I've used invisibraid but 80 pound,have not had any issues with it,I still like the stealth line

You can spool direct,the prob with slippage is not emptying your reel and reeling in line before using for the first time upon getting on the water

I agree with Weeds - braid is easier for me to untangle. On these deep tangles, I usually just pull as hard as i possible can and 9 out of 10 times it slips out. Mono gets all stretched and breaks easily if you really pull on it.

I started using Seagar Fluro a couple years ago for pike and musky leaders and its been great. Its fairly pricey, but I 25 yard spool has lasted more then 2 seasons and a lot of pike fishing!

When I spool braid, I take that white sticker thats attached t the end of the line and put it on my reel spool. Even half the sticker will prevent slippage. A small piece of hockey tape would work too.

Edited by mepps

Appreciate the help Marc. I'll make sure to empty out the spool and re-spool while on the water. Is it June yet?

Just be sure to do like Marc does and get someone else to reel that 4 ounce bucktail back in at 5MPH...all 350 yards of it !

Just be sure to do like Marc does and get someone else to reel that 4 ounce bucktail back in at 5MPH...all 350 yards of it !

I am sure if I ask my oldman to, he'd promptly tell me to go (insert expletive here) myself :)