Holmes on Homes NF

danbouck

Just thought I would let some people here know that my company will be on a Holmes on Homes 2 hour special tonight @ 8:00 on HGTV. For anybody in the home building business it will be great to watch.

Mike decided to build an entire house instead of fixin one up this time. It includes one of our elevators that we make and install. Unfortunatly the service manager (Me) won't be on tv (probably because I use Milwaukee instead of Dewalt) :wallbash:

Not trying to advertise here, I know a lot of you guys will enjoy the show (but feel free to order one yourself :D )

That's Cool!!

If I had the dough ray me......... I'd get Mike to build a house for me. It won't be cheap because he builds it right but it will be standing long after I'm gone.

Ya this house is suppose to last 100+ years before any major repairs.

I have worked for both Mike Holmes, Jim and their Director Micheal Quaid.... Micheal is an AWESOME guy! we worked on his new house in Oakville right by Bronte Harbour... His house is build of straw bails it certainly stands out! :)

Jim and Micheal are good guys, Jim actually runs a General Contracting firm... my present company almost hired his foreman from the the show..

Mike well he is good for the trades and helps people weed out bad contractors... but too arrogant for my liking, He is just the face of the show...

Jim though is the real deal.

Micheal Quaid is he director for both shows.

Have a blast man!

G

PS... I got an amazing deal on DeWalt tools from Micheal... 50% of retail.. cash no tax... needless to say I stocked up!

Edited by Gerritt

One of my favorite shows, I'd love to have Mike and his crew make their way up here one day, I bet he'd have a field day finding all the things wrong with my house. Mike Holmes has definitely been good for the trades and keeping them on their toes, more and more people are a little more edumacated on what to look for in a contractor thanks to the show. I do hope he is able to make strides towards beefing up the building codes though. I'll watch the show, but don't promise to stay awake for the whole thing ;)

Maureen

Moe, The building codes are stringent enough, if they are followed infact they are sometimes over kill...Your should see the 2006 building code compendium two MASSIVE binders (that is before you add the ammendments....

The problem I see daily, is what an architect wants and an engineer demands... concessions are sometimes made... form vs. function.

G

Maureen, Garritt is right. The New Code Compendium is massive. They are in the process of actually taking out some stuff (especially part 9 stuff) They have added so many little tweaks to it, its overwhelming. The Building Code Commission is currently reviewing and should be sending amendments soon.

For first time home buyers or uneducated home buyers, the show could help with some of the general processes that should be followed. There is always your local building department that should be able to help you or endless sites on the net full of information.

I have to agree with Garritt again too, although Mike Holmes is a great person, he is a bit on the arrogant side. The good thing is he asks questions about anything. He is not afraid to ask the 'stupid' questions. As for the Karuk Group, they are phenomenal.

Anyways, back to my original point. if you are sifting through the 2006 be sure to ask a lot of questions. they have made it so that you can build how you want as long as it can be proven that it will meet minimum standards.

I use that damn book every day.....I am sick of it already (and no, I am not employed by a Municipality, I am with a large private homebuilder)

Thanks,

Mike

In my considered opinion, Mike Holmes is a sell-out. He is a very good tradesman, there is no disputing that, however his becoming a shill for HD, ( a company that porports to be a supplier to the contracting industry, and then competes for the same work as its' customers), is hypocrytical in my opinion.

Arrogant.....yes, however he can back it up. A lot of what he does is overkill, and far beyond the budget of a average person.

He reminds me of several individuals that I worked with at different points of my carreer. Do it my way or the highway. There is a Dutch word that describes his personality type very well....eighewise. eighe = self wise=wise. There is a whole lot more conotations in this word which cannot be adequatly translated in english.

When I first saw his show I didn't think he was in Canada. The total lack of safety equipment hints that he has a lot less experience than he lets on. Did they finally nail him as all in a sudden the guys have proper work boots and hard hats? how much was the fine?

Tearing all that stuff apart wearing running shoes puts a shiver up my back.

I agree on several points,the guy is arrogant, but that doesn't bother me.I think any naturally good tradesmen could do a show with proper backing and do the job better than normal,especially since they would be on TV. Overkill as mentioned is an understatement. I own a decent size contracting company and I price jobs to do them properly,but I don't meet many folks that are willing to pay the prices he says the jobs cost. I would lose 3/4 or more of my quotes pricing in what he does and the reality is people don't want to go to his extremes unless the price is right. The reason his show is so busy is because of these H.D. type of handymen.Then the customer is the other reason,too many don't want to pay the good guys the right amt. , so they take the lowest prices from the penny saver types and then cry about the workmanship,they then blame the guy who didn't price to do it right in the first place,who would be using inferior methods and materials to keep the price down. Then its time to cry the blues to Mr. Mike and company and try to get a deal. The job which they hired the handyman to do was priced at $10,000.00 and Mr. Mike does it for $25,000, the amt. they wouldn't even consider in the first place, go figure.The only real hope we have with this show is that maybe,just maybe, people will learn to expect to pay a good dollar to get a proper job done in the future.