Island Lake Orangeville ???

jdmls

Hey Guys....We only have a few weeks left on Simcoe, and I am not ready to retire the new protable for the season, so I have been searching other alternates, than the perch grounds... I am looking on feedback for Island Lake ice fishing. Hopefully some of you can answer some of the below questions...PM me if you would rather.... Thanks Guys

catching/caught fish and where ?

Where about's on the lake is good for Pike ?

anyone fished the 20FOW hole at the far end of the lake ?

When does this lake close for ice fishing ?

Any luck catching crappie ?

I belive that it closes on Mach 15, but I have only seen a handfull of people on it so far this year(on my way home from work). I think they might already be closed, they had realy low water conditions from the dry summer like most places. Best bet is to call them and see if they are open. I haven't fished there for a few years on the ice, but it isn't bad fishing. I have caught lots of crappie, perch, and pike all out from the dock a ways, just be moblie and you can find them.

Good luck

This is my first year living only 5 minutes from the lake....and I didn't fish it once! In past years, I have always done well there. The pike are plentiful, but mostly on he small side. Crappies are there, but hit and miss finding them. Perch are decent, but smaller as well.

The Conservation Authority never put the rental huts out this year, but the people have been out with portables an fishing in the open. Ice conditions have been questionable this year and as already mentioned, the water levels were extremely low last year.

People have posted some good bass fishing in the summer months from there, and I have caught largemouth bass throught he ice.

Hope this helps?

Not sure about the season closing date. They do have a website though.

um yeah I fished there. The water is down about 4ft so the normal sparts are kinda not working. The ice is in the 15-20" zone in the main lake, sucks with a hand auger. The 20 ft hole is the place to be. Kinda a long walk but it produces! Went twice this year and got about 4 pike and too many panfish too count. Get there early ;)

catching/caught fish and where ?

Where about's on the lake is good for Pike ?

anyone fished the 20FOW hole at the far end of the lake ?

When does this lake close for ice fishing ?

Any luck catching crappie ?

hit the lake last sunday morning and was not aware of the tournament going on - entered anyway because the largest pike caught (apparently) was only 25 inches long. In the week-long derby, no perch were caught and as of last Sunday, only one crappie hit the ice. Missed three hits while dead-sticking so I threw on a stinger hook and landed my pike. This 21.5 inch pike landed me a fourth place finish. No prizes, just bragging rights, LOL!

in summers past, had decent luck in the deep hole in the back primarily catching smaller pike - 26 inches considered to be a decent fish!

The Conservation staff said that this year has been a very slow year for fishing on this lake due to low water conditions, which explains the poor numbers of fish caught during the tourney. Out of the 80 plus anglers on the lake that day, mine was 1 of the 2 pike reported caught that day - as of 4:00 pm that afternoon. Hopefully the lake rebounds with some conservation efforts because it is a great sanctuary for urban anglers.

Not too familiar with the ice fishing closure dates. Crappies and perch are few and far between.

Hope this helps. Tight lines and be safe!

Fished there from time to time. Close to home option but on average the pike are tiny. The area in front of the boat docks by the office sees the most traffic. If you can find a parking spot close to the deep spot give it a go, but to walk from the conservation area parking lot to the other end of the lake would take a while, and probably not worth the effort for the tiny pike. There were some decent sized crappie and perch there, but dont remember seeing too many caught through the ice.

I would reconsider ice fishing this lake. At least in the summer there are some decent bass there to be caught. Why not try targeting the pike on simcoe and leave the perch rods at home?

Guest skeeter99

what do you mean only a couple of weeks left on simcoe?

yes trout and whities close! on march 15th

but the real fishing starts after march 15th when the perch pile up (perch never close on simcoe), we will probably be on the ice this year until about april 10th **safely** depnding on rainfall and shoreline

this is when simcoe is at it best and there are no crowds and it is one after the other, you should try it jdmls

what do you mean only a couple of weeks left on simcoe?

yes trout and whities close! on march 15th

but the real fishing starts after march 15th when the perch pile up (perch never close on simcoe), we will probably be on the ice this year until about april 10th **safely** depnding on rainfall and shoreline

this is when simcoe is at it best and there are no crowds and it is one after the other, you should try it jdmls

LOL....I had enough of the perch for this year on Simcoe... I cring when I pull one up with an exploded stomach from 80ft of water in the whitie grounds !!

Thanks for the help guys....I am going to take it that as per section 16 in the Regs that Island lake falls under ..Pike closes March 31'st ???