A tip for bass season

OhioFisherman

http://www.classicbass.com/edzoneWE4.htm

Read the article, nothing new though a technique I have used for 35 years or so. Why? It works, shakey head jigs may be considered a spin off on it.

Use a quality jig, you want a strong hook. Not just a finesse tactic like mentioned in the article, flipping, pitching docks with a jig head and a 6-8 inch lizard also gets action.

All Terrain, Gopher Tackle, Stamina Bullet Nose, lot of good jigs with good hooks out there compared to the old days. Shallow or deep a lure worth a try.

After last summer, I am a believer. I started using it as a "tough bite" tactic, but ended up keeping a rod rigged with a 1/8 oz giggy head almost all season. It works almost as well on 'eyes and large trout.

I was suprised at how well Senkos and Jacks Worms - both perfectly straight baits - worked. The Jacks Worm still doesn't seem to have made it on the radar north of the border.

Never used a Jack`s Worm myself, I like these http://www.productolure.com/springworm.php

Jig heads for me aren`t a problem, I make some of my own and buy the rest. I used them down to 3/32 of an ounce. Not to hard to modify a mold to accept larger hooks, I use a drill press and a dremel bit to open them up a bit. Newer molds are available that accept bass size hooks.

Pretty common for me to have a jig and worm rigged up to throw with a finesse bait and another with a jig and lizard for a slower or different look if a fishing partner gets a blowup on a surface lure but not a take.

Caught just about everything on them, not just a bass lure. Walleye eat lizards too.

LOL Mike, no thanks needed, a lot of info out there, just something we have done here for a long time. Used to do a lot of pond fishing, and for some quite a walk, just easier to limit the amount of tackle being carried and rigging in the dark is made simpler. Jig head vs. worm weight, hooks,pegs ect.

Not the best plan in heavy weeds, although ripping it off the weeds can trigger strikes. If there is a clear level above the weeds I also swim them just above. Let it settle into any gaps. Bare hook on the jig means a better hooking percentage.

Lost enough fish to make sure I use a good hook though, especially around cover.