Bank Card Theft

Tarzan's Jane

This part Saturday my son experienced exactly that. Went to pay for his groceries...insufficient funds. Had just depostied his pay the day before. Went to the bank machine, it ate his card. Not much can be done on a Saturday...and he was not a happy camper. Monday brought better news...he will have his money returned. The investigation so far goes like this. A month prior...he rented a video...unbenownst to him, that's where the thief was. The thief waited a month and decided at 5:30 a.m. this past Saturday to withdraw $400 from a ATM machine outside a donut shop.

I guess the thief didn't pay attention that this bank card was from the Police credit union. My son is a police officer...I don't think he rented that video in uniform...hahaha

As much as I like not to carry cash in my pocket...makes me very leary to use my card anywhere but at the bank.

That has happened to me twice this year with different accounts. The way they usually get people is they put an empty envelope into a machine then withdraw as much as possible right away. Banks make it easy to fix but it's still a pain in the ass.

BMO canceled my card a few weeks back due to there being a security hazard. Luckily I had cash on me when I went to buy lunch :) Extremely unprofessional if you ask me.. Canceling the card at 10am and leaving me a voicemail at 2pm later in the afternoon, lol.

Don't assume the machines at your bank are safe. Thieves have been known to put a false front on them which contains a card reader and sometimes a camera in the false plate or on the wall nearby. Check the front of the machine, note how far your card slides in, always cover up carefully.

Be careful at convenience stores and gas bars. Clerks should never swipe twice. If you look into the slot of the card reader, there should only have one silver/chrome raised bump, which is what reads the info. These are just a couple of the ways you can have your info stolen. I've started using more cash, and only use the debit with businesses I know up close and personal. Andy

Heck.. who needs to have the ATM card scammed.. so I don't have one!

But if you have Credit cards... just drop by the Midland NOCO gas station (can't believe the OPP buys gas there) and one of the gents will be glad to write down your credit card #, security code, remember you're a regular... go grab the phone book to get your address and then go online to Tiger Direct and try to buy some computer equipment. The savour for me was we come up in the Midland phone book... but live in Penetang and VISA flagged it. Tiger Direct only wanted me to confirm I had an order with them... so I guess flagged it as well with a different ship to address.

Edited by irishfield

There's always somebody out there trying to help themselves to someone else's dough. In the early days they robbed the stage coach or the train carrying the payroll (I like those ole westerns). Then they held up the bank. Now the "smart" crooks skim bank cards. The bank's are doing plenty to keep the system safe and try and stay a step ahead of the free-loaders. Bottom line, ALWAYS make it as difficult as possible for someone or their video camera to see you key in your PIN number. All of the banks and credit card companies have systems in place to try and catch these guys before they help themselves (Bill and Irish Field above), unfortuanately they still end up causing an inconvenience. Bill what happened to you is probably the bank finding out that a skimming operation had taken place at a certain merchant at a point in time. To try and minimize the damage (and keep costs down for all of us) the bank may cancel cards used during that period at that merchant. It's happened to me too.

If I had a choice though, I,d rather walk around with a bank card in my pocket/wallet than a wad of cash. If someone helps themselves to my wallet full of cash - it's gone for good !!

As long as were on the irony topic, if your sons a police officer, does that mean he will be arresting you for those CRA robberies you were involved with? Or are the coppers in on it? LOL

Do ya think...I wonder if he'll know to check under my mattress...gosh I had no idea that people would know that after every shift I left with a trunk load of cash...did you work there too??? and are gonna come bail me out? lol

Edited by twilight