Algonquin Park - Interior Camping

Stoty

Kinda limits your choice in beer... doesn't it !

Glass I've always undertood... but cans at least rust away vs plastic never decomposing. Ideally everything comes back out.. that goes in, but we know that doesn't happen with a good number of canoers/campers.

Hahah, it sure does!

Yes, I agree, its a shame that people cant be responsible enough to clean up after themselves.

I am proud to say, I am not one of those people! I leave my campsites the way they looked when I arrived.

Sometimes they look better when I leave because of ignorant campers before me!

Received another email from a guy saying Sec Lake (and area) has great bass and pike fishing.

Has anyone ever been there?

How big are the bass/pike that you caught?

We are looking for some decent fish (4 lbs + bass), (10 lb + pike)

I am not giving away anyones spots.....they are well-known lakes.

Thats like me saying Lake Ontario is a good spot for trout. Thats not giving away a spot.

I just want to get input as to what lakes to go, since I am a newbie when it comes to interior Algonquin trips.

We used to camp out on an island on Lake Opeongo when I was a kid. Had a moose and her calf swim over to the island one night. That was a sight to see!

Hey, is that the same Island where that young couple got eaten? That was an interesting story, seems the Warden looked for them, got to the Island, found the Canoe, their groceries untouched but not them. Thats when he called in the OPP and found a grisly discovery

Well, here is a link to a page of topo maps for the park: www.fedpubs.com/mpchrt/maps/algonquin.htm

Also, if you go here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/8488/algonquin-park-map , you can see a PDF of the whole park and it's canoe routes. This particular map used to be easier to find on the web, but this was the only site I could locate it on.

As for the fishing in Happy Isle, we covered the shoreline from the opening of the bay leading into Adrienne Lake, toward the first campsite across from the island, and did quite well with the smallies. Green tube jig tossed out to deeper water nailed a beautiful 3+ lber. From the looks of the lake though, any of the steeply dropping shorelines would produce...easy fishing.

Hey, is that the same Island where that young couple got eaten?

I think that was on Burnt Island....my buddy never shuts up about it...very difficult to get him to camp on islands now. <_<

Thanks for the reply.

I have it narrowed down to 3 spots, just want everyone opinion which is the best for

1) decent sized fish

2) least amount of traffic.

Spots:

Happy Isle/Merchant/Redrock Lakes

Sec/Wet/Little Sec Lakes

Shall/Booth/Farm/Crotch Lakes

Remind me to never PM you a fishing spot Stoty !

LOL... :clapping:

As long as the folks who PM'd you feel the same way Im sure its all good :whistling:

They may be some of the more well known lakes but....

They did "PM" you right?

No biggy I s'pose :Gonefishing:

Ya beer in Plastic bottle options are Steelback, ummm SteelBack, and ummm oh Ya Steelback LOL!!!

The Nut brown Ale is Nice though...I was not a fan of the strong it was like Schlitz, AKA Paint thinner, and the Silver was like American beer, or like John Cleese says "making Love in a canoe"

Its F-ing close to water (no offense to the m'ericans)

:D

My dad used to bring 'beer balls' when we'd go to the park. 2-3 gallons of Old Mill never hurt anyone :)

The only thing we ever caught in Opeongo was Lake trout (This was 15+ years ago), we'd spend most of our day fishing the little river off Annie's Bay for brookies.

The island we always stayed on was just outside of Annie's Bay. It was extremely small, not even an acre in size...

Edited by BillM