Algonquin Park - Interior Camping

Stoty

I takes most of the day, and the winds can be pretty rough on Opeongo. For $50 or so you can book a watertaxi right up to the portage. You just have to make sure you are there on time to catch the taxi for the ride back. They only wait about 15 mins for you then you are on your own.

Take the taxi, it's still about a 2KM carry once you get to the portage. Save your strength for fishing.

It doesn't take too long to get up to the east gate area from Durham region. You can likely do it just as quickly as going up the 400 to huntsville.

Edited by verno

Thanks Verno,

I just read that in the books that I picked up from the library. And I checked into the water taxi from Opeongo, and you were right, its $25 ecah way, which is WELL worth it to save 2 days canoeing! Apparently the portage is pretty flat and has a rest stop halfway through. I think we have a winner! All the reports I have read all say good things about the fishing there, so I think thats were we will go.

Thanks again for everyone's help. MUCH appreciated!

I don't remember the portage being flat. Of course it was the first time I had ever portaged, I was VERY hungover and I had packed poorly. I remember reading in one of Kevin Callan's books I think it was that the portage was "relatively flat" and I can remember thinking relative to what??

In reality I probably just suffered because of my own poor planning.

LOL

In Kevin Callan's book it says "the trail was relatively flat, and, where it wasn't, I was able to rest my weighted canoe across a well-positioned canoe rest".

It might have seemed a little more daunting then it really was being hungover and all. Then again..stairs seem daunting when your hungover! :lol:

Ya...4 day trip and your going through Opeongo you NEED the Water Taxi LOL...

You'd pretty much loose a 90% of your day in and out by the time you get across the portage, and into happy Isle lake, assuming the slowest in your party is decently experienced in the art of canoeing :whistling:

Being you'll be ther in July I assume...if at all possible stay on the west side of the island.

Its a decent site, and will give you some relief from the bugs, and if there is a nice cross breeze you'll pretty much be bug free.

Plus you'll not need to worry about any critters getting into your packs.

But that will be a Prime site, and Happy Isle can be busy...

The north shore has a nice "point" site as well that would be a second choice, if the islands 3 sites are taken.

PS.

There are MANY Small mouth lakes in the South West gate area...

But be fore warned...bugs in July can drive you nuts LOL!

Thats why I usualy trip in EARLY May for trout....Bass fishing can be awesome though, I really should go back in the summer some time :Gonefishing:

There are some residant experts round here not yet to chime in...sit tight, I'm sure you'll get even more advice.

Barbra, Nemo, Doug...come to mind

If your not Set on Happy Isle gimme a PM

There is another nice Canoe route if you go through the Sand lake Gate, Its mostly short flat portages. Start at Achray(Grand Lake) go across and make your way to Caracjou Lake. Ive only gone as far as Caracajou and then returned. If you take your time and troll the lakes itll take you 2 days. I wouldnt waste my time trolling till you get to Little Caracjou. Worm and beaded spinner(Wedding Band) would be my choice. Worm and small sinker in the streams. You can rent a cabin on Wenda Lake. Not sure if they lock it now but last time I was there it was opened and there was guestbook type journal that had some interesting reading. You can also cross Grandl ake and take a long steep portage straight into Wenda, itll save you time but took me a trip with pack, then again to pick up the Canoe. You can also rent a canoe which is part of the package at the old Ranger Cabin on Wenda.

Two of the best lakes for smallmouth that I've fished in the park are Sunbeam and Bridle lakes. There are better ones no doubt, but both of those suits your needs with a short days paddle in and out. Bridle is particularly nice because it is an unmaintained portage with only one campsite on the lake, giving you decent solitude without the usual multi-day travelling to get away from the yahoos. Sunbeam is busier in the summer, but nobody seemed to be fishing, and we were pulling in 3-4 pounders from shore on the campsite island. Spinners and small crayfish jigs have always been best for me in Algonquin.

Cheers

Brandon

Hmmm, you guys really have me thinkin now! lol

I would prefer a place that isnt very busy. Being the only ones on the lake would be fantastic!

We will be going in August, most likely.

How are the bugs then?

I am going to do some research into Sunbeam and Bridle lakes.

Thanks again for all your info.

Early August will still have skitters, but no worse then any other Wilderness area.

Really its not like Algonquin is any worse then other wilderness areas for bugs....

Its just worth noteing if your not used to wilderness camping that it can get hairy compared to most car camps LOL...

Don't rely on Google maps or the Backroad mapbook as your only sources of information. Google maps, at least in this area, can be quite inaccurate when it comes to small side/backroads.

The Backroad Mapbooks suffer the same lack of accuracy. In my immediate vicinity, it shows roads connecting through areas that are completly roadless. The fishing info in them is spotty at best. They are a good resource, but I would never plan a fishing trip based on what they say about the lakes in this area.

The Backroad Mapbooks suffer the same lack of accuracy.

Ya, I am beginning to figure that out. People have said they have been to some lakes, and caught some decent bass, yet the Backroads mapbook doesn't mention bass in them at all! lol

I just checked out their website, and apparently version 2 is coming out this year. Hopefully they are a little more accurate!

As for live bait...I never use it, so I am safe there. Using live bait kinda defeats the purpose of the "challenge" for me.

Thanks for the heads up though.

For those of you who have been to Happy Isle Lake, I have a few questions (based on the Backroad Mapsbook lack of accuracy).

The Mapbook doesn't say anything about bass in the lakes that connect to Happy Isle (Merchant, Redrock Lake, Nepawin Lake etc).

Have any of you went into these lakes while on Happy Isle Lake? If so, hows the fishing? Bass in there?

macmanus lake does not allow motors, only canoes. go to lake traverse, it allows 9.9s. it has musky pickeral smallies and channel cats. nicest lake i have ever camped on. it has 19 campsites. the fishing is good. i have been there about 30 times. if you decide to go i will try to help you out. the lake is about 3 miles and 3 miles of river. also a nice set of rapids. usually always see moose. this is also at the east gate at petawawa. i believe the road off hwy 17 is called achray road.

Thanks jnic, but I am going to try out Happy Isle Lake, its a lot closer than the east gate is to me.

I would prefer a lake that doesn't allow motors though. Less noise, less fishing pressure.

I forgot to ask about the wild animals around the Happy Isle Lake area.

Should we be on the lookout for bears, wolves, etc?

Should we hang out food from tree's?

(As you can see, I have never been to the interior of Algonquin Park before, LOL) :huh:

We hang our food barrel a little way from camp just out of habit any time we camp or canoe.

No food or anything involved with food in the tent as a precaution.

Keep you camp clean of any dropped food.

As for wildlife in Algonquin there are bears, moose, deer, wolves and other assorted animals, other than raccoons we have never been bothered.

There have been bear and wolf attacks but they are rare. Like anything else in life be cautious but not paranoid.

We keep an eye out but more for the privilege of seeing the animals in their natural environment.

Dan

I forgot to ask about the wild animals around the Happy Isle Lake area.

Should we be on the lookout for bears, wolves, etc?

Should we hang out food from tree's?

2 questions I can answer....

Number one....yes!!!

Absolutely, and take lots of pic...we love to see them! :thumbsup_anim:

Number Two....If your on the island I say No, if your on the mainland I say Yes, unless you want a coon, squirrel, skunk, or what ever else into your food, and ripping holes in your gear.

Bears are plenty in the Park, and not overly shy, but if you can be bear "smart" you'll be fine.

Common sence goes a long way ;)

Ya, better safe than sorry I say.

In hockey, I could hold my own, but come face to face with a bear....I think I might be on the loosing end of that fight!

Actually what we were planning on doing was taking just the essentials, with minimal food basically keeping a few fish a day for food.

(some canned goods just in case the fish dont co-operate)

Would I have to hang canned goods up?

(Don't laugh, I am new to the interior thing!) :D

Oh shoot, I didnt realize I couldn't have cans in there. My bad!

Alrighty, so food in the trees it is! ha ha ha.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I just got an email from another guy saying that the Access Point #17 (Shall, Booth, Farm, and Crotch Lakes) is an excellent spot for pike/bass/lake trout with minimal portaging.

Which area would be better for us? (for decent fish, and the least amount of traffic)

Happy Isle/Merchant/Redrock

or

Shall/Booth/Farm/Crotch