Algonquin Park - Interior Camping

Stoty

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has done some interior camping inside Algonquin Park recently (2007)?

I have always wanted to go into the interior just brining the essentials (tent, cooking gear, fishing gear, bathroom items) and basically live on what I catch for a few days.

I am looking for a low-pressured lake that hold a healthy supply of Smallie's. Not only would I like to keep a few for dinner, but also looking for a decent chance at getting a nice big fish as well to beat me PB of 5lb 9oz.

Any help or insight as to where I can find info on the interior lakes of Algonquin would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

*Stoty

Stoty:

You can catch smallies pretty much everywhere in Algonquin, beaver lodges almost guaranty a couple, they can get a little wormy in warmer weather though.

For eating you may want to target Lake Trout which require gear that will get down deep unless you go in the spring when the trout are near the surface.

Be sure to bring along some food in case the weather gets nasty or the fish aren't biting - to get to the interior of the park requires you to portage which burns lots of energy.

I don't know your level of canoe experience but if this your first trip I wouldn't recommend going solo.

Lots of information here: Canadian Canoe Routes

Dan

ps: since when are 'bathroom items' essential gear on a canoe trip? :blink:

Ever since I went on a trip without toilet paper!!! :lol:

I've done numerous lengthy canoe trips from 1 to 4 months long where every single piece of gear is weighed and scrutinized before it goes in the pack.

Toilet paper is a luxury I learned to live without. Trust me it's possible to do without.

As far as your question goes pretty much all of the large lakes along the hwy 60 corridor have good smallmouth.

Interior lakes that stick out in my mind are Happy Isle, one portage away from Opeongo's N/W arm, and Radiant a widening of the Pettawawa River downstream from Cedar Lake.

Algonquin is generally known for numbers of smallmouth although you will catch some nice ones.

Best place in the world IMO for trophy smallmouth and incredible flatwater canoeing is Quetico park west of Thunder Bay.

Totally blows the doors off Algonquin if that's what you're after.

In my younger years I travelled twice to Atikokan by Greyhound bus from Toronto and rented a canoe when I arrived to fish Quetico.

Where there's a will there's a way. :)

I was also going to mention Happy Isle Lake....plentiful and co-operative smallies, with a good chance at some really nice sized ones. Easy back lakes to get into from there as well, if you bring your lake trout tackle as well. And yes, Canadian Canoe Routes is definitely worth checking out.

Brown boxers. Ha!

Edited by johnnyb

If you go to the east gate in the petawawa side you will not run to as many citIdiots. Not too far from the East gate you can drive right to the Petawawa River where it widens known as McManus Lake. Huge Musky and Pickeral. Tons of cats at Night, and a chance to catch a trophy Smallmouth. Drive further up and you have Grand Lake in Achray. Lots of bass on the many lakes. One Portage and your probably alone unless its a long weeknd.

Edited by holdfast

My Mistake, what I meant was the Sand lake gate just south of highway 17. Thanks for the correction Singingdog. The road is also known as Achray road, McManus lake is a drop point for portageing the Petawawa River. If you PM me I can put you on to the Muskie hole, where the Lake Narrows, but dont tell anyone, Its just a stones throw inside the Military boundry. shhhh

I just Google mapped Achray road, and it seems to end at highway 17, but there is another road called Baron Canyon Rd (hwy 28) that pretty much intersects Highway 17 where Achray Road ends, that leads right into the park. I am assuming thats the road your talking about?

Go on Google maps, and look where Highway 17 crosses Highway 26. Thats where Achray Rd ends, and Baron Canyon Rd starts.

Is that the road you're talking about?

Thanks again.

Yup, they must of changed the name again. Achray, Barron Canyon or whatever is one main road that goes through Sand lake Gate, Most of us call it the east gate since its East. Just a tip, the Baron River for some reason does not have the quality and Quantity of fish as the Petawawa River. It could be because there is heavier fishing pressure at the Black Bay Area historically. If you want Brookies, there is a stream(Travers Cr) that runs Parallel to the road and RR Tracks and the fishing holes are just before you get to the Observatory. What I did was waded downstream from a washed out bridge that once crossed the stream

Nice, thanks.

I just picked up the "Backroad Mapbook" of the Algonquin Area, and am doing my reserach as to where we are going to go.

What I have been reading though, is that there doesnt seem to be smallies up in the North Western end of the park (North Tea Lake area). I was looking at that side, because its the closest area to me in Pickering.

I think that I might have to make the extra drive, and go in the east side.