The Kind Of Story That Makes Me Cringe . . . . (NF)

Photoz

Every once in a while, a bad apple is rooted outta the barrel where I'm employed . . . . whether it's a letter carrier hiding 'junk mail,' or stealing l'il ol' ladies pension cheques, it makes many of the general public distrustful of ALL of us. Although I rarely even have anyone hint that a piece of mail they're expecting might have been 'misplaced' (lost) by me, there HAVE been times where tapes, CD's, DVD's, books & magazines have been VERY late (usually due to unreadable or wrong addresses) that I KNOW people wondered . . . but were too polite to accuse. THEN a story like this comes along . . . . I'd sure like to see a good, long, jail term for abusing people's trust like this. How about some (good AND bad) stories from members concerning YOUR experiences with Canada Post? (I love being pounded upon . . . I'm used to it . . . . I admit to fishing carp, eh?)

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2008...879233-sun.html

We have had the same letter carrier for as long as I can remember. He always delivers mail to the wrong houses, ie., we get next doors and vice versa, and.......he doesn't (appear) to deliver mail on Fridays..... :Gonefishing:

Having said that, he is cheerful, polite and adds a little character to the neighborhood! :whistling:

Never seen ours up close, we have to go to the box and get our own, but she does get mixed up sometimes and shifts the mail one box over. It's great I go deliver to my neigbour and a few minutes later one comes to me with my mail. I wish they would start stealing the "bills" and pay them.

The 'LATE' deliveries are generally (not always) due to either high mail volume, bad walking conditions or a new carrier on the walk. Since I hurt my back 3 weeks ago, I KNOW there are days people aren't getting their mail till late afternoon . . . new carrier to the route, high mail volume and REALLY bad walkin' conditions! But . . . . if you know for a fact a carrier HASN't delivered on any given day . . . there's an '800' number in the book . . . . call it & make lotsa noise . . . . there is SUPPOSED to be mail delivery 5 days a week . . . NO EXCEPTIONS! I know when I used to be able to do overtime, when I finished MY walk, then drove to the section where my overtime was, it would often be after dark when I finished!

Apparently the problem with our route is, it that it isn't assigned to a route, therefore everyday they have to get someone to cover it and if they don't oh well. I called the number a couple of times, including yesterday, would love to get them mail in the morning like my parents place. the worst part is is that they told me its a new development and my house and surrrounding are has been built for 25 years

I've never had any problems with Canada Post other than the occasional wrong address thing... I get 2 or 3 items a year that have my neighbours name and address on it and vice versa, but other than that I have never had anything lost or stolen, that I know of. I do however wish that CP would allow shipping of ammunition however.

cd.

NEWMAN!!!!

(LOL) too funny..

Living in an appartment, could not get any magazine deliveres as they never made it too the mail box. Canada post could not figure out how it disappeared each and every time,, they tracked it all the way to the carrier who delivered it and poof it was gone.

(the suspected the super)

Funny all the bills were always there and on time. )

When ya have up to 2000 or more, pieces of mail to sort, into 400+ slots, and maybe 10 different streets, several with identical numbers, and about 2 hours to do it, you can often get the occasional piece mis-sorted . . . . but, you SHOULD be checkin' them as you deliver them to each house. I'd LOVE to see these 'perfect' people who NEVER make even the simplist mistakes, sort 10,000+ pieces of mail perfectly, week after week? Even after 10 years on the same walk, maybe once or twice a week one will sneak past me. Most employers are quite happy if an employee scores a 99% accuracy rate . . . . if I've got 2000 pieces of mail to deliver that would mean it would be acceptible that I mis-deliver 20 pieces . . . . . . if I was THAT sloppy, I'd find some other line of work . . . . . . I figure MY accuracy rate is about 99.99% . . . . or better! I'm happy with my job, I deliver in a great neighbourhood, and outta about 400 residences I deliver to, there's only about 2 or 3 that give me headaches! I consider myself pretty lucky!

Edited by Photoz

No, i don't think that my mail carrier is stealing my mail

HOWEVER....I have a problem with my mail man who has routinely DESTROYED anything that comes in a large envelope. I've had a least 2 dozen autographed 8x10 photos bent in half because they routinely disregard DO NOT BEND on the package.

My Old man was a letter Carrier for 20 years delivering on the South shore of Montreal. The old bugger delivered during hail, Ice storms, -40, 90 degree weather, and rarely took any days off. His pack in today's standards would cripple a person, as there was no limit that was strung across his back. His shoes were the typical government issue boots that we in the Army would only Parade in them as it would cripple a person that had to walk any distance. During the 70s he was the only English letter carrier out of 52, but didnt take poop from anybody. Yup I even recall how he felt nervous delivering during the FLQ crises when there was a rash of letter bombs and bombed post Boxes. He was tough as nails and loved by many along his route. During Christmas season his bonus was the occassional bottle of Rum, Card, or gift from his customers. Hed get up at 5 then report to his station, sort his mail and then deliver on his route. He would talk to his customers and even help them out, especially the elderly by stopping at a store for them. He was a tough old bugger who enjoyed kicking the St Hubert Cops butts when they had their Broomball Tourneys. One thing that I still remember how it irked him when delivering Welfare checks to those he knew were cheating the system and laughing at him. It has been my dream job to be a letter carrier after I got out of the Military but it has been Impossible for me to get in. It could be the fact that I can only fill out one page of three on the application as there are two pages for visible minorities or maybe I dont know anybody in the Union. Its too Bad because Im as Tough as my dad was and I love to excercise and I can function in the most extreme of weather. Maybe Im over Qualified if there is such a thing.

Now today's standards. Seems I don't get mail on Mondays and Fridays. Weather seems to be a big factor now. Ive seen letter Carriers delivering mail in Taxis, Ive known two women on disability with less then five years delivering,(must be coincidental) Carriers wearing headphones., Mixed Clothing, and despite a user friendly pack, and I may add not that heavy, Quite a bit of disability claims. I Know things have gone to the dogs

We used to live in a Burlington townhouse with one of those centrally located mail boxes where everyone has their own locked box. So many times mail would be mixed up and would go missing.

I was on compensation for some time and more than once a cheque went missing, placed in someone else's box accidentally. The first time I waited, and waited, and waited with several calls to comp and to the post office. After a week and a half comp issued a replacement cheque.

The day after I got the replacement some jerk neighbour tried to stuff my lost cheque through the gap around the box's door. Guess he/she had it in their box for over a week and finally decided to check their mail and found it. (So many people in that complex would not check their mailbox for weeks at a time.) After that the same thing happened a few times but at least the persons that got our mail delivered it to us and saved us from aggravation and worrying about having money in time to pay our bills. Same as ourselves, if we happened to get a neighbour's mail we would deliver it to them.

Everything was fine at this townhouse when we had a regular carrier. Then we got a notice from

the P.O that our route was going to be serviced by part time carriers so we would have the same one for 2 or 3 days then a different one. The problem was that they didn't give a damn as to which box it went into and with so many different carriers they couldn't associatte names with numbers, no familiarity. Since moving to a single house our mail delivery has been decent since we usually have the same carrier all the time and this makes a big difference.

I never trust the post office for any important mail anymore. If we have something important to send I will send it special delivery, certified or go out of my way to hand deliver it.

BTW, with all that said I feel for our mail carriers. It isn't an easy job dealing with the aches and pains that comes along with it or having to work in some of the worst weather imaginable for little or no thanks. Having to put up with freezing icy winters and the sun baking down in the summer would be unbearable to many of us.

A big "thank you" to Photoz and his fellow mail carriers is due. It's the system that doesn't always work so well, not the people out there beating the pavement. :clapping:

We are on a RR and our service is fantastic! mail gets delivered between 1 and 2 pm every day (unless there is a REALLY bad storm then it might be a bit later) but get delivered it does, I've seen that lady go through snow drifts right up to the grill on her Jeep to get through. I couldn't be happier with our service!