For dog owners

huey graphite

When I first read this I was waiting for the wisecrack at the ens but it never came. I just dropped my lab off at the vet this evening for a scheduled surgery on her leg tomorrow morning. It was hard to walk out while hearing her whimper from the kennel in the basement. She does not like to be away from us....ever. There have been several members of this board who recently lost their beloved pet or have gone to great expense to relieve their pain. this story is therefore timely.

A Dog's Purpose

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Linda, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying. I told the family we could not do anything for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Linda told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. Th ey felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I had never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

That is a great read ... thanks for posting that.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Never a truer statement has been said.

Hoping for the best possible results from your partner's surgery and for many years of happiness for you both. Again ... great read. Thanks bud.

Hope your dog is well Huey. Great little story.

Another thing about dogs is they can't talk because there is no need, they always show how they feel. The true meaning of life lives within every dog, it's just man who needs to stop and look and learn.

Wow!!!

Such profound wisdom at such a young age. Awesome read.

I love dogs. Me and my wife have three. One is even a rescue beagle found being beaten last year in a field by some F****n :asshat: in Sutton . The poor little guy took 9 months before he would come near me as it was a guy who was beating him. I take them everywhere now when I go ouit. I'm the one with three beagles in a bass boat. No thats not the beginning of a punch line for a joke. This dog now has seizures due to the damage he suffered from the beatings. Pills take care of it though. How can someone beat an animal for no reason. I beleive in punishing an animal but to outright beat one. That guy should have been beaten with a 2x4 himself.

Sorry for the sidetrack comment. Our pets are like our family. I hope everything works out well with your dogs surgery. I dont enjoy fishing unless they are with me, sounds strange but its true. They make me laugh all day long, especially when they eat my soft plastics when I'm not looking. My smallest beagle loves the new Berkley Gupls. LOL

Just being Lazy

Ricelakecrappieopener2007020.jpg

Trying their hand at driving, LOL

x1pdXMbD-RMMPxnNPXDGxAzpUzONIurM7V4.jpg

Guarding the boat, Yeah right.

Ricelakecrappieopener2007032.jpg

Edited by smalliefisher