If buying a boat from the USA dont try this .......

BENNY

I know a guy who did the same thing while importing a GTO from New York to Ontario about three months ago. He had a receipt, bill of sale for $10,000 when he actually paid $19,000. The part that I thought was funny was that it was an e-bay transaction. They looked it up while be was being questioned and knew exactly what he paid. At that time he came clean to face the music.

His truck and the car and trailer were impounded. He then agreeded to pay the fines, I believe it was $4000 along with the duty that he tried to evade. He was a 1st time offender.

Not a bright move and he is the 1st one to admit it, all for the sake of saving a few bucks.

One other note, the guy who sold it to him was a lawyer and it was his idea to write him the cheaper receipt.

lets face it many of us have tried to scam the government, either federal or provincial out of the dreaded sales tax by some way or another. I guess this guy tried to devalue the product too much, and then lie a couple times to cover the event. I guess this proves the old addage, if you do the crime you got to be prepared to do the time.

Just wondering,

Why would the guy pay with a bank draft and then lie about the price? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Maybe, and I have no first hand experience :whistling: , you could pay Certified Cheque or Draft for a portion and cash for the rest :whistling::whistling::whistling: , If you have a reciepe for the same amount as the bank draft, it may go unquestioned, or so I have heard

Hopefully they just fine him for court costs and unpaid taxes, it would be a pretty expensive trip to the US if they confinscate his new $10 000.00 boat.

Edited by 4Reel

Don`t know how it works up there, years ago a friend bought a project car to make a street racer out of. Might have been partially stripped? The state here gave him a call, questioned the purchase price and taxes paid, sent an inspector to his house to make sure everything was kosher.

Ohio will check if things don`t seem right, cha ching!

I hate it when little convenience stores try to scam the govt out of taxes. When I go in there, many times I find that they punch in the prices, but the cash register drawer is open the whole time and they never complete the sale. They "pretend" to punch it all up and then ask for the total price...tax included. Of course the idea here is that they pocket the tax they collected from me as extra profit. When I see this happen, I'll ask for the receipt...even if it's only for a few bucks and make them enter in their register so they have to remit those taxes.

I know a guy who did the same thing while importing a GTO from New York to Ontario about three months ago. He had a receipt, bill of sale for $10,000 when he actually paid $19,000. The part that I thought was funny was that it was an e-bay transaction. They looked it up while be was being questioned and knew exactly what he paid. At that time he came clean to face the music.

His truck and the car and trailer were impounded. He then agreeded to pay the fines, I believe it was $4000 along with the duty that he tried to evade. He was a 1st time offender.

Not a bright move and he is the 1st one to admit it, all for the sake of saving a few bucks.

One other note, the guy who sold it to him was a lawyer and it was his idea to write him the cheaper receipt.

How did he plan on driving that car in Canada? It hasn't passed any of our bumper laws and isn't certified to drive on our roads.. Unless he was going to register it as a show car and only drive it 2000km's a year or less.

He'd never get it legally registered here.

(Unless we are talking about a older GTO, if so disregard my post :) )

Edited by BillM

I hate it when little convenience stores try to scam the govt out of taxes. When I go in there, many times I find that they punch in the prices, but the cash register drawer is open the whole time and they never complete the sale. They "pretend" to punch it all up and then ask for the total price...tax included. Of course the idea here is that they pocket the tax they collected from me as extra profit. When I see this happen, I'll ask for the receipt...even if it's only for a few bucks and make them enter in their register so they have to remit those taxes.

That sort of thing happens more than you think. I'm a tax compliance auditor for the State of Michigan & the amount of sales tax/income tax fraud that is practiced by convenience stores & gas stations is atrocious. When I’ve visited in Ontario I’ve witnessed the same thing as you. Sometimes when that happens it’s a disgruntled employee that ends up pocketing the money. There’s no record of the transaction so their register doesn’t come up short.

I think any government charging tax on the purchase of used cars/trucks/boats etc. from a private party is unconstitutional. Another fine example of double taxation.

To eliminate the potential of a problem with the Border Service - TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!

Don't lie or try to scam a few dollars in taxes. If you are buying in US, then you are probably saving $$ from the get go, pay the GST/PST and you have a clear conscience and don't have a lying face that they can read like a book.

Just my .02 after inporting a Boat/trailer and recently a new kicker.

This is the boat below

Edited by superdad