Satellite Internet - NF

Hookset

Well, it looks like it's time to pack up the computer for the move to our new home.

Bad news though is that we were told we could have high speed internet at the new place, but now we find out that isn't true.

We are checking out the Satellite internet from Hughes and hope to be up and running by next week.

Expensive and not all that reliable I'm told.

If anyone has info on Satellite internet I'd appreciate the help.

The "Fishing for Tyler" event looked awesome, and the Girlfriend said I could go if...I wanted to live on the ice for the rest of my life.

After thinking about it for a couple hours I decided against it :angry: .

Damn it I hate moving.

See Ya's all soon I hope.

Hookset.

I had this same problem. It dosent matter how many times you tell bell or rogers where your new adress is, they will always tell you right off the bat that you can recieve service there.

I would stray away from sattelite internet due to its high latency, and go with sympatico dial up. works suprisingly well.

Hey Hookset,

I live in the sticks to and need high speed for work. Yes, Sattelite is expensive, but if you need high speed it's MUCH FASTER than dial up, and just as reliable as bell. I never had very good service through them. I upload huge video files on a regular basis and aside from having to sweep some snow off the dish

from time to time it works like a charm.

I use Xplornet - and I believe it's about $700.00 to get up and running, and I have one of the higher end packages which runs me about $100.00 a month....

Good luck with the move!

Cheers

Where are you going to be living? I live in the country, and the only viable option that I have ever found is wireless. If there is a wireless provider in your area, I recommend that you use their service. The satellite signal is slow ........... and might drive you crazy. Sympatico is rarely available in the sticks.

Where are you going to be living? I live in the country, and the only viable option that I have ever found is wireless. If there is a wireless provider in your area, I recommend that you use their service. The satellite signal is slow ........... and might drive you crazy. Sympatico is rarely available in the sticks.

High Speed is rarely available in countryside locations... BUT...

I don't exactly follow you about wireless being the only other option... i believe in order to get a wireless signal you must have a hard-wire running to your house, then you can set up a wireless router to that hard-line. that way you can pick up a wireless signal within a certain range of your router (usually confined to your own house and a small radius around your house. AKA your neighbour, depending on how close you are to them, may be able to leech off your wireless signal). for example, i have a wireless network set up in my house, and i can pick up two other wireless networks that are close to my house. I think Satellite is your only other option other than dial-up... i would go with Sympatico dial-up, i was with them for a few years, and you can download at an average rate of 5kbps, which isn't too bad.

That is why I asked where he will be living ....... Sympatico is not available everywhere. When I say wireless ..... I have an antenna box on my house, hard wire coming into a bedroom and then a router that covers the house. I agree with you on the issue of others taking your signal. I guess it depends on how close the neighbours are!

Yep exactly Terry... and if someone can squeeze in on the 2 degrees it can be off they're welcome to it ! We had to add a second dish to beam back to our neighbour right at our gate..as they were about 4 degrees off the point to point line.

The other issue we've found with point to point is it uses the same basic frequency of a microwave. So when the trees are all wet... they absorb the microwave = signal loss.

Edited by irishfield

Wayne and Terry are correct, I have a point to point system from Xplornet, it works quite well. Not as fast as cable but tons faster than dial up. Explornet will tell you that there satellite service is the same speed, wrong. Its kinda like bell and rogers telling you that high speed was available at your new home.My sister has xplornet satellite as point to point was not available and it is a lot slower, even the tech installing the system admitted that they are slower. Point to point is also much cheaper, you can do a private deal as Wayne did or if you go to an ISP such as xplornet it is about $300 initial start up and $60 a month, when I signed up they waved the install fee if you signed up for 3 years. So cost is inline with cable in town and close to speed. If you have any questions shoot me a pm.

I almost forgot, my old ISP used the same antenna system that Wayne shows in his picture, Xplornet uses a flat antenna about 6 inches by 12 inches.

Edited by taper

Guest lundboy

Where abouts are you moving to?

There is wireless broadband available around Lindsay and Peterborough. https://www.cablecable.net/

There is also a similar service in Sudbury/Frenchriver/Noelville area: http://www.netspectrum.ca/

Very reasonable prices, and comparable to DSL or cable modem.

Other than that, if you are in an area with good Bell or Telus cell phone coverage, you can get EVDO for about $120/month unlimited access.

Edited by lundboy

Pinch I think the service you are referring to is still only available in major cities. it uses the cell towers but still has its own antenna, we tried it here and we were just out of range.The local tower did not have the antenna and the closest one that did was about 8 miles away and I think they said 4 to 5 miles max.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. guys.

We tried each and every provider up here and the only one that can supply us is Satellite Internet by Hughes Net.

We moved between Huntsville and Bracebridge and after looking and dealing with providers we soon found out that we are basically in a dead zone. Of course when we bought the house Sympatico said "sure you can get high speed

in your new home !!!" Liars...

We tried point to point, wireless, cell tower, everything. Satellite or nothin apparently (dial up would kill me).

Had it hooked up last Tuesday and it's still not working right. The crosbol is screwed up and needs adjusting.

Why it wasn't checked at time of install who knows.

Anyway thanks again for all the info, and some day soon I'll be online from home.

10 years ago if you told me I would do this just for high speed internet access I'd have called you crazy.

Hookset

One other option is check with area dialup ISPs about bridging 2 phone-lines/modems for a single connection. We did this for many years in remote communities to offer faster connections with very little latency. Most all rural communities have gone to point-to-point wireless as regional, provincial and federal funds are financing new community based wireless broadband.

-sheldon

Hi hookset. Is there any chance that you moved to the Baysville area? The reason I ask is that I have my cottage up in that area and I am looking at moving up there within the next couple of years. Internet will be very important for me ........ Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Michael

We live in the boonies of North western Ontario, outside of red lake, and have radio phones and satellite internet. What we did in our little subdivision is went in with the neighbours and got the satellite internet , originally it was from directway, who then sold it to hughes , who then sold it to xplornet.

while it isn't really high speed it is defineately faster than dial up and we are going house to house through a wireless router. it seems that you can buy different amounts of band width and the speed increase with each increase in band width.

currently we are paying about $30 each per month and the total cost per month is about $100 for the bandwidth we have. if you have the satellite stuff in your house and don't run it through a router I would suspect the speed would be faster than what we get in our houses since the router seems to limit the speed to 54 mps.

It is a fairly reliable system andfor those of us without phone lines it is a viable option.

Hi hookset. Is there any chance that you moved to the Baysville area? The reason I ask is that I have my cottage up in that area and I am looking at moving up there within the next couple of years. Internet will be very important for me ........ Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Michael

Hi michaelw,

I now live just West of a town called Utterson.

I moved from Baysville about 6 years ago.

Lived there for about 5 years.

We still have some family there and they have Sympatico Lite.

I'm think they could have gotten high speed but not positive.

They live just outside of town, East of the river.

I will try to find out for sure as to what's available.

Just don't take Sympatico's word as to types of available service, they don't have a clue about the services that they provide. Go figure...

Nice to see another OFC'er moving to the area soon.

If you like Bass fishing (trout too I should say) you're moving to the right area... we can talk :clapping:

Hookset.

and Thanks as well grt1 - I'll have to check out that option.

Edited by Hookset

I couple year back I had a bell sympatico dial up account that cost me 24 bucks a month. I used it at work and where ever I could get at a 56k modem. I was always suprised at how well it worked. I was achieving 49 kbs download speeds.

If you plan on doing much online gaming, or file sharing with torrent programs, then dialup wont work for you. If you only check e-mail and surf the web I had no problems and I was rarely waiting for pages to load. Pictures came in quite quickly.

I currently have a point to point system at my house coming from a grain elevator. It cost me big bucks to install, and is not much faster than that dial up account. In fact I wouldnt call it high speed. I cant play online games or seed torrents properly.

If i could make the choice again I would have kept my sympatico account and paid for another phone line. the sympatico account was unlimited use.

Well I gotta say...what a freaking joke !!!

Hughes net was installed 8 days ago.

5 minutes after the installer left our system went for a crap.

It took us upwards of 3 minutes to open a browser. To open OFC at home takes about 7 minutes just to open the first page. Called Hughes net...after running a diagnostic they say "Oh it's a crosbol problem, you're installer will have to come back out and fix it"

Ok says old dumbass (me), thanks for the info... 5 days later the tech. arrives.

"You've exceeded your bandwidth and that's the problem". Off he went. My girlfriend was home at the time so I didn't get a chance to speak with him myself.

Then I get a call from Hughes net (Galaxy actually which buys from Hughes ??!!??)

"Yes there is a problem with exceeded bandwidth and due to that fact, we can't check the crosbol issue.

"But the system hasn't worked properly since day 1" I say. "We did try to download a file, very sorry for doing so,

but can you confirm if there is still a crosbol problem ?" "Not until some time tomorrow" she says.

"But you have already confirmed that there was a crosbol problem" I whimpered. "That's all I can do sir, but if you would like to pay another 20 bucks a month we can bump you up to 375 megs of download every 24 hours instead of the 200 you currently have." It was at about this time that I went for a walk, kicked myself in the cajones, and came back to try and reach the installation Tech. He was to have called me back 2 hours ago...

He even gave me his cell #... Thing is I've been overly polite and patient up to this point.

But me thinks I'm about ready to snap. The total installation, purchase of hardware etc. was $900.00

and my monthly rate is $69.99 / month. But hey I can pay another 20 bucks per month for more bandwidth...on a system that hasn't worked since day 1.

Sorry about the rant, but if you see a big glow in the sky south of Huntsville, it's just my head exploding.

Hookset.