Gas Protest on the 400

Fish Farmer

Wow...here's the news story...at least it ended and no one was hurt! I cant see this sort of thing happening a lot up here though...after all, we do tend to be a bit complacent! As long as people will pay for the gas, the price will keep going up....and for most of us, it's not a luxury, but a necessity. We'll begin to cut other things out of our budgets before gas.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_19979.aspx

Highway 400 Reopens Following Bomb Scare

Tuesday February 26, 2008

CityNews.ca Staff

A tense standoff between police and a man threatening to blow himself up has ended.

Highway 400 reopened in both directions at Aurora Rd. overnight after the man surrendered to authorities following several hours of negotiating. It all began at about 9:30pm Monday, when the man allegedly told police he'd detonate several propane tanks in his car when the next tanker truck drove by.

The suspect, 44-year-old Roderick Anderson of Nottawasaga Township, turned himself over to police just after 1am. He faces several charges.

The closure meant thousands of drivers were stuck on the road for hours, wondering what was going on.

"Been here for two hours," noted Allen Mizrachi. "Some people are running out of gas and it's getting cold out."

Another motorist, Joe Tiano, added, "Look at this. It's for miles. We'll get home eventually."

And driver Geoff Perry complained, "I think it's rather ridiculous. We've got to work in the morning and so does everyone else here. What's going on up there?"

The highway was reopened in both directions by 3am, meaning a wait of several hours for some people and undoubtedly a tiring day at work on Tuesday.

Fish it was crazy here during the first fuel crisis back in the 70`s, fights in the gas station waiting lines. Sad to say this is nothing, give it another 20 years as demand goes up and supply goes down. LOL people were a lot more civil to each other here back in the 70`s.

Hmmm , gas, beer, gas, beer = meltdown?

What an idiot. I wonder if that genius realized all the wasted fuel he caused people to burn up sitting in their car's idling away while the 400 was closed.

People need to make smarter vehicle choices if they are so worried about fuel costs(if possible) I drive a TDI, even in modded form I've gotten a best of 1326km's on 55L's of fuel. Not to mention its making an additional 40HP and 100ftlbs of torque (dyno proven) :)

Edited by BillM