BOQ

fishnsled

For many years I been wanting to get down to the BOQ for some hard water action, it finally happened on Sunday. While trying to organized an outting with a couple of the guys that I did the flying trip with last year we decided on heading down to Quinte. I told them not to expect too much but I'd do some homework and see what I could come up with. Thanks to Sam at Carra Outdoor Sports for his tips and locations that he shared with us. :thumbsup_anim: Sam also took the time to show us his latest project he was working on, a 22 point buck that was taken last fall. Some AWESOME work Sam.

We headed on our way and were on the ice around 8am. Certainly not what I would call the magic hour but we were fishing. I wasn't marking much on the finder and was wondering if we should move or not. A distant conversation of the bite time starting at 9:30 kept us on our spot. It wasn't much longer when I had my first hit and about 5 minutes later it was game on! The first fish of the day caught by yours truly.

gallery_103_86_201258.jpg

A couple of pictures and back to some fishing. Looked at my watch and it was 9:35am. I guess those guys knew what they were talking about. A few more minutes and I've got fish #2 on the ice. A smaller fish but a good fry pan size. I get the other guys switched over to the bait of the day and then Ken has a swing and a miss, followed by loosing one, followed by success!

gallery_103_86_43621.jpg

I heard off in the distance those voices of wisdow saying that the bite should be done by 11am. This was just before Ken's fish which came up at 10:55am. We didn't get another eye the rest of our stay. The winds picked up and the guys got there lesson on proper foot wear. Good thing I had the clam and heater. A couple of small perch and that was it for the day. For a first hard water trip to the BOQ, I'd say we did pretty good. Too bad Dan didn't get one but we'll try it again sometime.

Here's the catch of the day.

gallery_103_86_212672.jpg

Thanks for coming along Ken and Dan, we'll do it again.

Edited by fishnsled

Good stuff Will... thanks for the report and pics!

I learned about socks on Saturday myself. Same boots... same outer sock but my normal cotton daily socks as a first layer vs the thin liner wick sock I wore last week in -31C up North. Had no issues with cold feet up North and my feet were freezing on Simcoe Saturday. The difference being the first layer of sock.

Yup, Carra's sent me in the right direction when I headed out there too......everything he told me was absolutly true....even took the time to show us where to go on the map.......we did very well. I'll be making the stop there everytime I head out that way from now on for sure!! He's got lots of great hunting gear as well......that's always a bonus :)

WTG on the eyes.......

Sinker

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Wayne - I use to double up on the socks as well with similar results. What I've been doing the last couple of years is bringing a thick pair to the lake to change into and leaving the sport socks on shore. Doing this my feet have been staying warm 95% of the time. By having only the one pair I think it gives your foot room to breathe. I may have to look into a pair of the thin wick away ones like you have for 100% warmth. Any brand you recommend and a place to buy them?

Cliff - Those walleye certainly do fight more then those perch from the day before. Less fuss with the cleaning process as well. lol! The fish were cleaned and frozen for my grandfather. With him being shut in these days I know that he'll enjoy a great meal like that. ;)

Just looked for the tag off them. Leah bought them for me for Xmas. Funny... looks like I actually threw something out. Have the tag for the Mernino Wool Wigman outer hiking socks..but not the liner socks. The liner socks aren't much thicker than a pair of nylons..suspect they're polypro. Will ask Leah where she bought them..so we can both get a pair.

Cliff :unsure: - You might be onto something there. I had just taken off the touque as it was getting a bit warm and BANG! :lol:

Wayne - You actually threw something out? :w00t: I did that once on the girlfriends advice, she calls it purging, I think it's craziness. :whistling: Well I went through some old bits and pieces of stuff and off to the dump I went. The next weekend came and I needed a small piece of metal and I knew where I could get one........at the dump. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::D

Thanks again for the replies.

Leah bought the liner socks at Sojurn. It's a hikers store. It's behind Walmart over by Princess Auto in Barrie. They apparently weren't cheap... what ever that means! But they do come in one pair packs.. not two's or threes!

Leah found the bill for me... 31 commerce park drive

Product is 2017SVLRG FOXRV Sock X-Static LI SV LRG $12.99 pr. The Wigmam comfort hiker socks, i wear over them, where Reg $29.99 /2pr marked down to $24.99

Edited by irishfield