Okuma reels?

BillM

Been looking for a muskie setup and have been reading up on reels the past couple of days.. On a few of the US based muskie forums, they are head over heels for these reels(Okuma Induron model to be specific) Fairly cheap and up to the task apparently. I was planning on the Abu Garcia C3, or a very lightly used Morrum(crossing my fingers) when I came across a few articles about these reels. Prices are around the $100US range, which isn't far off from the C3.

Any of your muskie guys have any thoughts?

Edited by BillM

I have an IDX-250a (the smaller one) and love it. I use it mostly for Pike, and for Bass occasionally. The quality of this real is great as far as I'm concerned. Especially for the price. It's noticeably smoother than my Abu C4, has brass gears, and just feels like a quality piece. It might be a bit small for a Muskie set up, but the 400 size should be perfect.

I have used a Induron 400 for the last 2 years, has some plastic in it, it has stood up but I use it on lighter baits once I realized it was a little more fragile compared to a ABU. If I had to choose I think I'd take a ABU instead if you can get them for the same price. The Idurons would make for a sweet Pike reel (the 250 or 400) or Lighter/Medium Musky baits from my view after a couple years.

Well my okuma convectors with line counters have been battling 30lb king salmon for 3 yrs now,and you know how they like to do 300yrd burns !!!!! :blink::w00t: ...and they are perfect with no problems,so for $90 bucks a pop man you are all set !!!!!!. :whistling: ...they get my approval,and if they can subdue kings well you will have no prob with the skis.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I ended up at Bass Pro today after work (go figure, lol) to bad Bass Pro doesn't stock the Okuma's I was looking at, instead I looked at the Abu Garcia C3 and C4.. The one thing I really dislike about those reels is a lack of a thumb trigger. I can't stand the trigger up on the reel housing. The Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Record was extremely nice.. Smooth as butter and had the thumb trigger I like. The reviews on the Record are also really good, completely different league then the C3/C4. I don't mind spending $$$ on a reel, I'd rather buy it once then two or three times...

I have 4 of the Okuma Convector 30D reels for my troling rods they have been great for me and all others that I know have them. I am looking at a couple more and will be getting them again if I buy more. The will stand up to the punishment for musky fishing even if your pulling but plows. The London show three booths had them for $59.99 thats a great deal.