Sled Problem(polaris)

buckster

I have a 99 indy spot touring 440 Seems like for some reason this season when the sled is cold it takes me many a pulls to get it started. Tried new plugs and same deal. If its sits for 6-7 hours outside my hut, same deal plenty -o- pulls. checked the choke cables they seemed to be ok. Any ideas? Maybe a fuel problem?

Don't work on sleds too often but It seems like a lack of fuel problem cold. Not sure whether this has a choke or a fuel enricher, depends on the type of carburetor. Don't think this would have a choke plate so its likely a stuck valve or plugged ports. If you haven't had the carbs off this year it may be a good idea to take them apart and clean them up anyway. It may save you a burned piston.

I now exactly how to fix this problem.............

A match and a can of gas. :rolleyes:

All joking aside, it is def. a fuel problem. However, on a 8 to 9 year old sled, it is perfectly normal. I doubt replacing your fuel delivery system is cost effective. Besides, Think of the extra exercise.

I now exactly how to fix this problem.............

A match and a can of gas. :rolleyes:

All joking aside, it is def. a fuel problem. However, on a 8 to 9 year old sled, it is perfectly normal. I doubt replacing your fuel delivery system is cost effective. Besides, Think of the extra exercise.

20-30 pulls is normal lol........ i might aswell walk. Sled only has 1100miles

My 2004 Panther 570 fan takes up to 6 pulls if I do it by hand.I just had it all rebuilt and it still does the exact same thing even with one size larger jets.Some are just like that.

Easy things to check:

Choke settings- toggle freeplay 1/16-3/32 or somewhere round there'll get you close.

Make sure you are pulling the choke right over to 180 degrees and not just to the first 90 degree notch-that'll definately require a lot of pulls cold.

Rubber carb boots not cracked.(between the carbs and airbox.)

1999-I'd want to put a new gas filter on just from age.

Air pulse line from crankcase to fuel pump is tight at both ends as well as the gas lines.

Air box doesn't have a mouse nest or anything in it.

1100 miles doesn't mean your crank seals may have dried a bit over time.Easy check on the clutch side is to spray Wd40 at the seal behind the clutch while it is running.Any change in RPM and you're looking at seals otherwise you'll lean out the motor for sure.Of course don't get the oil on your belt or clutch.

A little more involved:

Carbs cleaned-usually just need to be cleaned and can reuse the gasket.May need new needle and seat.Make sure all the jets are removed and cleaned.The pilot airjet is the smallest one and is the one that affects low speed the most..

Fuel pump might be getting weak from age.Usually a Mikuni kit to rebuild.

Kerry