Easing the pain (NF)

Rich Clemens

Following the sudden departure of my long-time companion, my wife and step-daughter (on their own), started looking for another. My wife spent more time on the internet yesterday than she has combined in the last several months. My step-daughter lives in Pittsburgh and was checking the local papers.

There was an Airedale breeder just a few miles away, but all she had were pure black puppies. During my afternoon nap yesterday, my wife slipped out of the house and brought one home for me to look at. She was a very nice puppy, but was just not the same as the one I had lost. I certainly appreciate what she did for me, but it's just not the same.

MY step-daughter in Pittsburgh found an add for a couple in Ohio that had Airedale puppies, so she gave us the number. My wife made a couple calls and she had two females left - with the same color markings as my Nikita. We talked about it for a while and I was undecided. Was it too soon ? Would this distract from my memories of my Nikita. After some thinking, we decided to make the 3 hours trip this morning to see the puppies. One was 4 months and the other was about 6 weeks. With having a 2 1/2 year old lab, we thought the older one would be better, as the lab likes to rip and tear.

Needless to say, we brought her home. It was somewhat of a rough trip as I still had mixed emotions coming and going. But, she is home now and slowy getting used to her surroundings and she had her first bath. I hope this eases the pain a bit, but I still have my devoted friend's pictures sitting around and will have a couple at work.

Here's the newest member of OFC (KIA will be her name)

gallery_296_59_25955.jpg

Edited by Rich Clemens

Rich just because you have a new member in the house does not mean you are disrespecting the departure of your friend. I have had many friends over my life and each one of them living and or departed have a spot in my heart that will be their till I pass on. You should be proud that you can fit another puppies well being into your life and give him a good home were he will be loved and taken care of for many years to come. I am sure Nikita is lookin down saying way to go pop's.

Art

Rich, like Art I have had many friends over the years who will always be with me. The new one's I've made have never replaced their predecessors, but have become new comapanions and added new momories. She's a cutie and I'm sure your Lab will love her...by the way, I live the name :D

Maureen

Rich, that's a beautiful new pup you've got there and I'm sure you've done the right thing. Don't think of her as a replacement for Nakita because it's impossible to dupicate what you've lost, but just make her welcome as another member of your family.

My last dog was a wonderful little toy poodle named Scamper and we had her for 13 fabulous years, but then had to put her down when she became very sick. I didn't think I could ever have another dog as great as her and we waited for 8 years before we decided to get another.

We've now had Marvin for 11 years and again it's been an awesome experience and he's everything a person could hope for in a pooch.

Best of luck with your new found friend and hopefully she'll help relieve some of the hurting you've gone thru in the past week.

Rich, congratulations on the new member of the family - she's cute as a bug! She won't relplace Nikita in your heart - you'll always have your memories of her, but Kia will help you make new memories as well. Dog lovers have so much heart - it's only right to share it with another 4-legged friend! I wish you lots of happy adventures with your buddies!

DebS

Rich..........

I never commented on the first of these talks becuase it hit too close to home.....

You know what I mean for sure....

That sure is one frolickly looking Airdale tho Bud.....

Enjoy many new memories with her....

I'm sure she'll love the boat.

WTG man..Kudos to your wife an daughter for making your day..

I hope you have something large planned for them for this....

That's wonderful Rich. They all have a special place in our hearts. One never takes the place of another, they just add to the richness of our lives.

I have one buddy, Benson, who is in his twilight years and one, Chloe, who is just a baby. Knowing when to say goodbye and sometimes even when to say hello is difficult.

Reaching down deep to help a friend in need shows great character.

Rich you must be a real lucky man to have a wife and daughter that worked so hard to try fill that void in your heart and i'm sure they had alittle help. Good luck with the new pup she looks beuatiful, and remember she's not there to make ya forget but maybe more to remember!

Congrats. I'm totally jealous.

When I lost my wire-haired fox terrier, I thought I'd never care for another dog again. Then I got my Lakeland terrier (which as you probably know looks a little like a mini Airedale) and although he never replaced my first dog, was a very important part of my life for many years. He's gone now too, but I know there's going to be other dogs in my future, no doubt about it.

Hard losing a friend, but pretty easy to make a new one Rich. We lost one of our Boston`s, Ginger almost 2 years ago. A sweet heart of a dog and momma`s girl. I was also leary of a replacement, but when my wife wanted to look for another off we went.

Game plan changed in mid stream, never had a male Boston, but Bandit stole our hearts. A big goof, great with kids or any one else that wants to play, LOL or sleep. My little buddy now, they grow on you.

Happy dog days!

Congrat's Rich on the new addition to the family and new fishing partner....

I know of your mixed emotion's all to well.. I'd always had a dog or dogs in my life, when my last one had to be put down for cancer, it was so hard on me, I swore I'd never have another.

I didn't realize that something was missing in my life, but my children did. They kept trying to talk me into getting another dog, but I wouldn't allow it.

Then 3 Christmas's ago, my oldest daughter bought me a dog for xmas. What was I to do? When I first had her at home, although 5-6 years had passed, I still had those same mixed feelings an emotions, and wasn't sure I wanted her.

It didn't take to long for me to warm up to her and love her to peaces just as I had the others. I like the name you picked.... I called my new girl Kia too.. :D only I spell it... Kea

Today, I wonder how I lived without her...

notyetsorted027.jpg

My children were smart enough to know I had a void in my life and I thank them now... I think thats a great thing your wife and daughter did for you..... won't take long and you'll feel the same and be happy to be making new memories with this one....

Good luck with your new girl....

I remember Shelly. We were talking about names on the way to Ohio yesterday and came up with this name. I knew I heard that name before and remembered that your little one is also named Kea.

OK. So come this June, when we're all in camp ... just remember. When any of us yells KEA or KIA. someone may very well get two dogs.

We've only had her a little over 24 hours now and it sure looks like we are gonna have another great partner. I still have to get across to her that we really don't want yellow carpets ... but that will come in time.