New to ice fishing..need advice

MATVIT

Good day all, I am new to the group and new to ice fishing in general. My wife and I have her brother visiting for a couple of days and he wants to go ice fishing, as do I. I have been in North Bay for just over a year now and feel pretty comfortable on the ice in my jeep around the Calander area but just wanted to quickly ask if it considered wrong or offensive to just go out on the lake and try and find an existing hole to use as I do not have an auger or access to one. I dont want to be one of those people that others glare at for doing something that is completly inapropriate. I know the best way would be to rent a hut and go all out but none of us can afford that and we just want to try it out and start to learn. Any advice/warnings or general tips would be much appreciated, thanks and happy fishing!!

Edited by MATVIT

Nobody owns the ice, brother. Go have a good time.

Like the others have said, try to avoid crowding in on another group, and you will need something like a spud or axe to bust through the old holes. The one thing I'll add is hold on tight to whatever tool you use, because you wouldn't be the first guy to lose it to the bottom of the lake when the hole pops open.

access the ice at Idyle Time fishing camp, there is public access right beside their driveway. This goes out to Deep water Point, you'll see about 300 huts out there... for good reason. 30' of water, jig and a minnow near bottom = walleye. I'm sure if you ask nice, someone will punch you a few holes. Good luck.

Thank you all for the advice, at least I know now that I will not be stepping on anyones toes out there. We will be sure to keep a wide bearth around others out there and not make too much noise. Hope to see some of you out there.

irishfield are you an AV8OR as well?

Actually thinking about getting my float rating this Summer depending on how the government feels about giving some of my money back...so most likely it will have to wait. The area looks like a great place to building time on floats.

The pic is just one I borrowed from the net.

Edited by MATVIT