Anchor line

icefisherman

I need to replace my anchor line with much longer one.

I was looking at the Bass Pro web site and this line seem to be close to what I need:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0003000_200-3-3

I'd like to get the 3/8" of 200' length but Vaughan Mills Bass Pro store doesn't sell it. They only have the 150'.

Since I can not use chain as I did on my last boat I thought I better have longer rope so it can hold the boat in windy conditions in say 100' of water on lake Simcoe.

My new boat came with an Anchormate mechanism on the bow that will preven me from running chain (chain can not go through the pullies there).

So I'd like to know if I can buy similar line in the 3/8" x 200' somewhere locally for about the same price - $40-$50 ?

This way I can avoid having to order from Bass Pro in the US and pay shipping for it.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I am not sure what you consider local, but we have to Marine/Yatch Store here in Hamilton, that sell Anchor Line (I believe it is a Nylon Composite) on Bulk spools. It might run you a little more then $40.00 though. I know that they have several different breaking weights.

Thanks guys.

Anywhere in west GTA would be local to me, including Hamilton.

My CT has some but not a lot of variety in diameters and lengths....never seen something like that in Home Depot...but have to check...I've checked the West Marine in Oakville as it is closest to me but they sell it much more expensive - about $80-$90 or so I think

I am fine paying for it about $50 or so....getting one from the US will cost me about $60 by the time it comes here...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I thought you were going to give the Anchormate to me! hehehe

By the way, wrong link.

Opsss thanks Brian, corrected the link.

Too many links I'm working on ha ha

Don't know about the Anchormate yet, but might need to replace (or get a second) anchor as I don't think the mashroom I have, will hold my boat well.

I may end up getting a new anchor attached to the new rope and hide it somewhere on the boat and use it only when in deep water.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Here's a thought.... give me the anchormate... lol

Okay, consider this...

Anchormate with 150'

Danforth anchor with 3x100ft and you can tie on 100ft at a time when needed. That way it's easier to store the rope and you'll have plenty when needed.

This will allow you to anchor front and rear when conditions allow for it...

Anchor from rear with Danforth, use bow mount trolling motor for positioning (calm days)

Anchor from front with Anchoremate or Danforth (rough days)

Here's a thought.... give me the anchormate... lol

Okay, consider this...

Anchormate with 150'

Danforth anchor with 3x100ft and you can tie on 100ft at a time when needed. That way it's easier to store the rope and you'll have plenty when needed.

This will allow you to anchor front and rear when conditions allow for it...

Anchor from rear with Danforth, use bow mount trolling motor for positioning (calm days)

Anchor from front with Anchoremate or Danforth (rough days)

Let me make sure I get this Brian...

You want me to replace the existing rope on the Anchormate with new one 150' long?

And then you want me to buy new Danforth Anchor AND 3 x 100' rope for it?

How would I tie the 3 pieces together when needed?

In this case I may only need 150-200' total rope because I can put chain at the end of it since it'll not be going through any pullies.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Come'on Emil... Uni to Uni note of course ! LOL

Well that's one way to do it :clapping:

But at the boat show a guy told me there is a way to splice pieces together if they are all new....not sure how to do that though...

P.S. Hey Wayne, you should see the pair of brand spanking new MAG 10 HS I got yesterday from the show in London ;-)))) Got the deal of the century on them too ;-) They look great on my table and I am sure will look even better on my boat when mounted ;-))....right Brian ;-?)) :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::stretcher:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Iceman, there a few things that you should be aware of first.

It is too bad that you can not use 6 to 10 feet of chain at the end of your rode. It prevents to some degree of having your rode scrape against the rocks. A chain also the chain also helps in keeping your line as close as possible to the bottom so that the anchor could dig in the best way it can – your rode should be as parallel as possible to the bottom for a good dig by the anchor into the bottom. The weight of the chain keeps the rode down to the bottom. In my boat I had 100 feet of all chain.

I thought I better have longer rope so it can hold the boat in windy conditions in say 100' of water on lake Simcoe

A very good idea but with very important but. Within the boating community there are accepted figures that I can give you. It is done through a ratio between the roe and the depth of the water.

The ratios should be - it least 5:1 scope, 7:1 scope is the norm, 9:1 scope in windy weather.

The scope of 5:1 is good in calm situations. The 7:1 is the normal scope. The 9:1 scope is used in stormy windy weather.

Since you plan to fish in 100 foot depths, on a calm/normal day, you will need 700 feet of rode. In windy weather, you will need 900 feet.

I like your idea of getting 3 pieces of 100’ rode. You will not always need 300 feet of rode in your boat.

There are various things that can be used to connect all pieces. One is the “with a pin shackle”. For this kind of shackle, you will need locking wire to ensure that the shackle pin does not unscrew it self. If it does, you may end up losing some of your stuff.

If you need more help, just holler.

Good luck – carp-starter

A 9:1 ratio is for a friggen gale force storm on the north atlantic!!!

900 ft of rope to hold in 100 FOW.....come on!!! Have fun hauling that back up....LOL.

2:1 is plenty for Simcoe......if its that rough, you aren't gonna be out there fishing!!

I have 100ft on my anchor, and another 100ft just in case. MORE than enough to anchor my boat in "fishable" weather. If I need the other 100ft of rope......its getting too rough to be out there......

I got a 200' spool of 1/2" braided nylon rope at CT for around $75.

Sinker