Bay of Quinte: Pics from this weekend including a 14lbs - 32" Walleye

Jeff_C

I ALSO REMEMBER THAT MUSKIE POST AND ALL YOU GUYS JUMPED ALL OVER HIM BUT IT IS OKAY FOR A GUY TO KEEP A 14LB WALLEYE.DON'T YOU THINK THE OTHER WALLEYE YOU HAD WERE ENOUGH.AND NATER YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED THE LITTLE BOYS CLUB ON THIS BOARD ......???? IT IS ONLY OKAY FOR CERTAIN BOARD MEMBERS TO COMPLAIN WHILE THE REST OF US HAVE OUR POSTS EDITED IF WE DON'T AGREE WITH THE ALMIGHTY ON THIS BOARD.

Its unfortunate that you think this way and make such quick judgments and generalizations. Its the guy who caught the fish's decision, and being fully legal he did nothing wrong. I for one agreed with Nater on his post before where he caught the musky and ate it because I know that he did try to revive it and was unsuccessful, so ensured it was not wasted. All I am asking of you Evinrude-Dude is avid making such rude and uncalled for generalizations.

:rolleyes: self righteous? care to elaborate assuming that comment was directed towards me?

I acknowledged that they were good fish, and that Jeff is a very good guide, I was only concerned with fish of that size being harvested. I don't grasp the concept. Ever killed a 20 lb steelhead Mike? You could even LEGALLY kill 2 that size, however I HIGHLY doubt you would. I'm sure if you saw a 20 lb hen with it's gills ripped out lying on the bank you'd have a few words to mutter about it. You might not say anything directly to the person but I'm sure you'd be ticked off inside about it. Just because you are within your rights doesn't make it right to kill a trophy fish.

Glad to see there are a few people on here with some spinal chord who are willing to speak their minds. It's much more difficult to stand up for something you feel is wrong and face the wrath of the OFC brotherhood, then to jump on the bandwagon that beleives if you're within your legal rights everyone else must be jealous if they feel otherwise :rolleyes:. I'm sure there are others reading this thread who feel the same way but don't feel like posting because they fear someone might jump all over them for it.

Have a wonderful spring, may all of your coolers be filled with 14lb walleye, 20 lb steelhead, and 54" musky :rolleyes:

Nate

Edited by Nater

First off... nice fish, I am jealous.

Now... for all you people who are complaining, I thought we had a thread or two not too long ago where we came to a consensus that as long as the catch is legit, we're not going to tear people a new one. Apparently some of you haven't read that. Ethics aside, those fish are legit. If you decide you are going to throw back big fish, kudos to you, that's your perogative. There's nothing wrong with keeping fish, not even a musky. Yes I know there's a certain "old boys musky club" here, but they are abiding by the "it's ok if it's legit" consensus we have reached.

Let's keep ethics out of reports and let people show what they have legally caught here. Nate... you just keep going and going. If I was in the old boys club I would give you a warning to keep your beliefs and ethics out of other peoples reports. Nobody asked you for what you consider your ethical opinion. Go have a seat in the corner dude.

cd.

:rolleyes: self righteous? care to elaborate assuming that comment was directed towards me?

Ever killed a 20 lb steelhead Mike? You could even LEGALLY kill 2 that size, however I HIGHLY doubt you would. I'm sure if you saw a 20 lb hen with it's gills ripped out lying on the bank you'd have a few words to mutter about it. You might not say anything directly to the person but I'm sure you'd be ticked off inside about it. Just because you are within your rights doesn't make it right to kill a trophy fish.

Nate

Easy there Nate, it's not a great idea to make assumptions about anybody least of all myself.

Nice fish man. Yeah, I'd likely mount that before I eat it...

Man, I kept an 8.5lb'er last year and felt like a heel putting a knife to it later that day... that was the only fish of the year I felt that way about. Likely won't do that again though... plenty of good eater-sized fish out there to take it's place at the table.

Thing about them big fish and keeping them in the gene pool is, that big fish has likely been swimming around with a few hundred of it's children now for a few years. There's likely one or two kids spawning themselves and spreading them big-momma genes down the line. If it was DOA as said than there's definitely no-harm no-foul done.

Toxins as someone said... I dunno. The Guide to Eating Ontario Sportfish doesn't reccommend any servings of walleye that large out of Quinte, but heck... if you're living in the GTA your likely decreasing your lifespan through many other means anyways. :whistling:

Thanks for the report. Wish I could catch a walleye that big on 6lb through a hole in the ice.

Sorry to stir the pot so much with this thread.

In case anyone didn't catch my second post on this thread, the fish was fatally hooked and was not going to survive. It is never our intention to keep any fish over 4lbs, however from time to time, there are some fish that unfortunately do not survive. I myself have not had this happen this year, but our group did have two fish get fatally hooked this past Saturday. We all agreed that it was unfortunate, but there is nothing that can be done. I was pleased to see the group respect the fishery and release all of the 4+lb fish that were fit to be released. It is always the angler's choice if they are to keep or release, however we encourage releasing all fish greater than 4lbs.

Jeff

Jeff - kudos to you for having a conservation policy that goes above and beyond the regs. Not much you can do when a fish dies from some deep hooks. I would have kept it and had it mounted as well, although I would feel bad about having a true trophy like that die at my hands. It's not surprising to me that you took a bit of flack for posting that pic of the dead 14lber. Same would happen with a pic of a dead 55" muskie or any true trophy that wasn't C&R'd. Hope this won't stop you from posting more reports.

Cheers and good fishing,

ben