Bay of Quinte: Pics from this weekend including a 14lbs - 32" Walleye

Jeff_C

The boys did their homework well this week with some very successful pre-fishing for this weekend. Yesterday morning we landed on a serious school of fish. They found the masses as well as a few that had just visit the gizzard shad buffet. Our guys iced an 11.5lb, a 10lb, and Ryan iced this 14lb - 32" Walleye. Everyone caught fish, and some caught a lot of fish. With perfect weather, and plenty of fish, it was an amazing day.

Did I mention the perfect on ice fish fry! ;)

Good luck to all...

Jeff

Ryan's 14lbs - 32" Walleye

02_24_2008_A.jpg

From a different angle

02_24_2008_B.jpg

11.5lbs

02_24_2008_C.jpg

Two angler's limit.

02_24_2008_D.jpg

Great catch....looks like you guys had a blast.

Every once in a while all the stars line up (weather, friends, fish bite )etc. Makes for a trip you will never forget. Looks to me like you guys had one of those trips

Always amazes me when you get back and try to share a bit of what you experienced with others there is always someone willing to provide you with a bit of flack.

Enjoy your fish

Cheers

Craig

You guys are nuts... he is within the law, he caught a nice fish and you come here to only to complain he kept it.... Nater you are something else...

It is a nice fish and I am thankful for the report... I could care less if he eats it, mounts it, or purees it for a protein shake... He was within the law and it is a memory he will never forget

I can think of alot worse things I have seen on the river from steelheaders then this fellow keeping a trophy pickeral.. Good on him and CONGRATS on a nice fish!

DantheMan! nice to see you again brother! ... please if you have a report pm it to me! I would not bash your for keeping a nice fish! LOL...

G.

Far as I'm concerned you are all terribly hypocritical...I seem to remeber a certain thread this fall where a guy who kept a musky got his head ripped off :rolleyes: Well within his rights yet you guys still tore him a new excellent person? I see the logic now :whistling: ... I'll be sure to report when I catch myself a nice 54" musky this summer and harvest it for a meal :)

I never said they weren't good fish, and I know that they are doign well compared to most people on quinte. I just think it's a shame fish like that get killed with the technology we have there is no need for skin mounts so you can't use that as en excuse... He is a very good guide I just think maybe it'd be better for the fishery if releasing big fish was encouraged.

Nate

Edited by Nater

Sounds like a real amazing day!

Those are real amazing fish especially the 14 lber.

In the 90's walleye's thru the ice at Quinte was my favorite fishing.

It died down in the early 2000's but looks to be coming back!

Have to head down there next winter!

Great fish,

ehg

This giant pickerel raises a question that perhaps could be a thread of it’s own rather than piggy backing, but here goes: I wonder how you catch a brute like that on spindly little ice fishing rigs? And if you can, then why do we use 7’ rods etc. in the summer?

Nice fish by the way.

Just a couple of comments:

First of all, this 14lb fish was actually caught on a medium light St. Croix rod with 6lb mono. Ryan had to prove a point, and was very successful in doing so. Personally, I still like my 32H St. Croix that is cut down to 29". (Although, that one blew up on a fish last night... grr..)

We always encourage the releasing of the larger fish, and most of the fish caught yesterday were released. Two anglers did keep a limit each, but the large group kept a couple of 2-3lb fish and threw back a plethora of 5-6lbers.

Unfortunately we had two large fish get fatally hooked or both of these would have been released as well. (The 10lber was successfully released.)

We ourselves try to never keep any fish over 4lbs. With all of the fish that we catch, why would we. There are plenty of 2-3lb fish that we can selectively harvest.

Jeff

14 lbs. that's a problem in the ethical department . i'd like to say OH I'D LET IT GO ,

couple of pic's and on your way. man,, i'd sure like to go knockin'on doors sayin' "look what i caught"

that's an amazing brute . once in a life-time for me . no doubt ,,, i'm knockin'on doors ,"look what i caught".

what a great outting . thanks for envy i'm feelin. lol.

GOOD ON YOU NATER.I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU.MOST BIG FISH ARE FEMALES AND THE BEST BREEDERS.THEY SAY NOT TO EAT A FISH OVER 4LBS IN ONTARIO SO YES A 14LB WALLEYE IS FULL OF TOXINS.HOPE YOU DIDN'T FEED THAT TO YOUR FAMILY .I ALSO REMEMBER THAT MUSKIE POST AND ALL YOU GUYS JUMPED ALL OVER HIM BUT IT IS OKAY FOR A GUY TO KEEP A 14LB WALLEYE.DON'T YOU THINK THE OTHER WALLEYE YOU HAD WERE ENOUGH.AND NATER YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED THE LITTLE BOYS CLUB ON THIS BOARD ......???? IT IS ONLY OKAY FOR CERTAIN BOARD MEMBERS TO COMPLAIN WHILE THE REST OF US HAVE OUR POSTS EDITED IF WE DON'T AGREE WITH THE ALMIGHTY ON THIS BOARD.AS FAR AS THE EXCUSE OF .....WELL MAYBE HE WAS MOUNTING IT...CAUGHT A 12LB THROUGH THE ICE LAST YEAR TOOK A FEW QUICK PICTURES AND MEASUREMENTS AND BACK SHE WENT AND I HAD A GRAPHITE REPLICA MADE SO SHAME ON YOU FOR KILLING A TROPHY FISH.PROBABLY GOING TO PUT IT IN YOUR GARDEN AREN'T YOU lol :clapping: