Quantum Code Baitcast Reel

urbanangler1990

I havent used one, but I have 3 other Quantum reels that have been very good to me over the years. Thier new reels seem to be very solid but the Code is one their lower end I believe.

Edited by mepps

You get what you pay for..it's a low cost reel that you will soon wish you spent more for better quality. Daiwa HSTA is super. Shimano Curado is decent investment too.

my fave: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-1

Edited by danbo

It sound too good to be true, 8 bearings, 1 piece aluminum frame, and less than $80 US.

What is service like for Quantum?

Who does their service in Canada?

Maybe give a call to Rocky's in Orrilia or Aikmen's in TO. Ask if there will be parts available down stream.

I mostly use Shamans reels because the parts are always available and most times service is free...at least it is in Peterbough.

In the past I have mentioned that many house brand reels and reels from famous old companies who's names were sold when they went out of business, are built in the orient by a few huge tackle companies.

Basically, you give them your spec's and they build your reels, but there are no spare parts...

On the other hand the price is so low, that maybe a disposable reel is a good buy...

Here's a story...

Last winter I lost the handle off of a Bass Pro Shop spinning reel...It came loose somehow and flew off in the middle of a cast!!!

In October, I stopped at BPS's Head Office store in Springfield Missouri, figuring this would be an easy part to pick-up for a reel that was only two years old.

Guess again! No parts inventory. We looked through a box of used crank handles but couldn't find a match.

I made them a gift of the reel so that there might be a part for the next guy.

Garry2rs

New reel on the market so take heed.

I've posted before so some are probably getting sick of this but the Extreme is on for $59. I can tell you I fished tournaments a while back and my buddy has a bunch of Curados. I have Extremes and we always pick up each others rods in the boat - The Curado is a bit smoother but there's not $130 worth of difference to me. For this price you can buy 3 Extremes and from my experience they are worth way more.

I have 5 Extremes now and most likely will pick up another one this sale - 200 model

Edited by Fang

Dont want to sound like a pessimist but I bought a Quantum PTI Titanium about 8 years ago and the side plate fell off in a cast and landed in the lake.

230 bucks down the toilet. I tried to get service and was answered with a hotmail account....seriously.

Just Curado's from now on. At least I know what i am getting. Maybe try a quantum spinning reel.

Maybe you missed the point of my earlier post...

Any of these reels are okay...if you understand that "Cheap Reels" generally become paper weights when they need parts!

Think about what you really need...The super smoothness of a Chronarch isn't needed to throw 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits.

On the other hand if your trying to learn how to pitch Jig & Pig, you will want to spend some extra money.

None of this means that you shouldn't buy the Quantum Code, it's your money and the reels sounds like a bargain.

Just don't come crying if it breaks down, but feel free to crow, if it stands the test of time.

Urbanangler check out the Cabelas Prodigy or the Basspro TeamDaiwa TD Pro. Both of these reels are made by Daiwa exculsively for these 2 companies.The price range is between $99-$119us. I've been using Daiwa baitcaster for atleast 15 years never had a major problem only wear and tear for lots of hours of use.

Quantum's Warranty location in the GTA is Aikman's in Mississauga. I would not worry about parts. It's a halfway decent reel at a great price point. If you are buying a baitcaster to learn on, I'd say go for it, I have 3 Quantum reels and love them, I heard that the older reels had problems but the new ones seem to be pretty good. The Cabela's baitcasters are made by Daiwa so you should be fine, however, the Bass Pro reels, I'm not sure who makes them and I have heard about problems with service. Mind you, I believe that they now have a service counter at the Vaughan store.

Lots of info, lots of opinions, you have to decide. Good luck with your purchase!!

I have been using Quantum baitcasting and spinning reels for a number of years. I have used them for salmon, musky and bass fishing, they have never let me down.

They were also the last American reel maker to turn production over to Asian manufacturers.

When buying a Baitcasting reel, the final decision is yours and yours alone. Most of all it must feel comfortable in your hand, remember you will be casting with it for hours at a time. The "Code" reel you are looking at appears to be their mid range reel, and reading the specs and features appears to be a good value for the $$.

Rocky's Reel repair, Orillia Ontario is an authorized waranty and parts source for Quantum reels.

John

• 1 year later...

I remembered this thread and thought I'd resurrect it to see if anyone had updated info/opinions on the Code reel. I was looking at one yesterday and it seems like pretty fair value for that price point. I've got 4 Quantums now (1 baitcaster & 3 spinning reels) and am totally pleased with them to date. I'm not a heavy duty user. It's just fun to have enough rod/reel setups for when I occasionally get out on a boat like Garry's. I'd never try to match his arsenal of course. There isn't room on the deck for two piles of rods like garry's, but havingan instant choice of lures at hand is kinda fun fer the changing water.

So, anything new on the Code?

JF