Fish "Bonker" Vs Live Chain.

Fishnwire

How about slowly suffocating and gasping for air? Perhaps being eviscerated while still alive? I feel if I am to kill an animal in order to feed myself, it deserves more respect than that.

Kill em quick and then put em on ice.

I'll take suffocation over blunt trauma as well, by the time they're cleaned they're half frozen and numb.

You kill yours the way you want to and I'll kill mine the way I want.

Agree w/ Dano. Bonk, bleed, clean, ice, and eat. Rinse and repeat.

It's all about respect. I don't like the idea of cutting into something that is still alive. No matter how tasty, like those Simcoe perch tonight.

*brap*

Edited by douG

Agree w/ Dano. Bonk, bleed, clean, ice, and eat. Rinse and repeat.

It's all about respect. I don't like the idea of cutting into something that is still alive. No matter how tasty, like those Simcoe perch tonight.

*brap*

Do you have all the barbs pinched down on your hooks?... and what about that 3/0 you just rammed thru that fishes eye?... why fish at all if you're going to be that sympathetic???... maybe y'all should join P*E*T*A

Real fishermen don't feel sorry for the bait or the catch!!! :Gonefishing:

http://www.joecartoon.com/cartoons/142-joe_fish

Edited by Greencoachdog

In the summer, bleed right away, I cut the gill plates, clean ASAP. If you are going to bake, gut right away. If you are going to fillet, do it as soon as you can. If you can and plan on keeping some, take a small cooler with ice.

In the winter freeze on the ice. There should be no shortage.

I whack em' and stack em........ON ICE.......right away. Always a cooler of ice in the boat if I'm fishing for dinner. In the winter I bury them in snow.....right after I whack em......my livewell was the first thing I took out of the boat.....makes a great storage compartment.

Sinker

Yup...In my opinion, livewells are useless. Took the fuses out of mine and I now have a 10"x 11" x 42" locked tackle storage area.

Mine just seems to fill up with "junk"......but its all stuff I "have to have" when I go fishing!!

No livewell, and a TILLER.....the perfect boat :thumbsup_anim:

Yup...In my opinion, livewells are useless. Took the fuses out of mine and I now have a 10"x 11" x 42" locked tackle storage area.

I find my livewell very useful.

DSC00726.jpg

... but if you don't ever hardly catch any fish to put in it... yeah, I can see where it would be pretty much useless. ;)

I wouldn't be able to eat those floaters in your "livewell" GCD.....that just turns me off......nothing worse than floating dead fish.....prolly warm water too. EWWW.

Wack em and put them on ice if your keeping them to eat. I took out the livewell and carry lots of goodies in there, so they're out of the way, but still in easy reach. If I'm fishing for dinner......I have the cooler with ice. My bait also goes in a cooler......with ice cold water. With a tiller, there is LOTS of room on the floor of my boat :P

Sinker

I wouldn't be able to eat those floaters in your "livewell" GCD.....that just turns me off......nothing worse than floating dead fish.....prolly warm water too. EWWW.

Wack em and put them on ice if your keeping them to eat. I took out the livewell and carry lots of goodies in there, so they're out of the way, but still in easy reach. If I'm fishing for dinner......I have the cooler with ice. My bait also goes in a cooler......with ice cold water. With a tiller, there is LOTS of room on the floor of my boat :P

Sinker

Those "floaters" aren't dead, they're dealing with slight decompression issues from being very recently pulled up out of 20' of water. Look at them closely, their mouthes and gills are still workin... they're even wigglin' their fins. Now pick one up.. ooops!... he splashed water in your face as he slipped out of your hand and raced around the livewell a couple of times just to prove to you that he isn't dead.

Given a little time, those fish will decompress themselves and turn right side up...if you and Roy had working livewells on your boats you would know aboot these things.

If I do find a fish near dead in the livewell and it doesn't look like he's gonna make it, he goes directly into the cooler on ice.

I take very good care of my fish and make every effort to make sure they are the freshest they can be. As soon as it's decided that a fish is to be kept, he is treated like food!

Y'all can beat your fish to a bloody fricken pulp if you like... that's your way.

I take care of mine my way.

Just as a side noteConsider the following:Fish, as all cold blooded animals do. Drop their metabolisims to near death levels when exposed to extreme cold, a type of suspended animation.I feel that it is calming and serene to the animal, like going into a very deep sleep. Some people think that just because a fish has that open eyed stare, they're always aware of their surroundings. If they had eyelids, I'm sure they'd be closed after a couple minutes on ice.If you think a fish can feel my fillet knife cleaning it after being packed in ice for a couple of hours, go outside and stick you bare hand in a snow drift for just 5 minutes and see how much you can feel when you pull it out.Think about it.

A single blow to the top of the head is hardly "beating to a bloody pulp". Besides, there's no need to get defensive anyway partner. We are all free to handle our catch in the method each of us prefers.

In fairness though, in that picture it was not evident that those crappie were about to start a healthy swim any time soon.

Icing my catch is generally not an option. I fish mainly at my camp and have to bring everything in the final 3.5 km on the back of my quad. I can barely bring enough ice in just for food and beer! I'm actually a little surprised how many of you guys always have a cooler full of ice ready in case you catch something you decide to keep. Considering all the other things we require for a successful outing, an extra cooler full of ice (which you can't put anything into that you don't want covered in fish slime) just seems like a bit of a luxury to me. It definitely sounds like the best method, but maybe not practical for everyone.

Also, I'm not convinced that slowly dying of anything, including freezing, would be preferably to a quick death from a well placed whack to the melon. However, personal preference is obviously the way to go.

A single blow to the top of the head is hardly "beating to a bloody pulp".  Besides, there's no need to get defensive anyway partner.  We are all free to handle our catch in the method each of us prefers.  In fairness though, in that picture it was not evident that those crappie were about to start a healthy swim any time soon.  Icing my catch is generally not an option.  I fish mainly at my camp and have to bring everything in the final 3.5 km on the back of my quad.  I can barely bring enough ice in just for food and beer!  I'm actually a little surprised how many of you guys always have a cooler full of ice ready in case you catch something you decide to keep.  Considering all the other things we require for a successful outing, an extra cooler full of ice (which you can't put anything into that you don't want covered in fish slime) just seems like a bit of a luxury to me.  It definitely sounds like the best method, but maybe not practical for everyone.Also, I'm not convinced that slowly dying of anything, including freezing, would be preferably to a quick death from a well placed whack to the melon.  However, personal preference is obviously the way to go.

Not tryin' to be defensive, just tryin' to 'splain.

I realize about the Crappie in the still pic and that's why I 'splained that too.

I always take a cooler of ice with me in the boat, during the day it's for my 2 bottles of water and 2 Pepsi's I always take. At the end of the day it's for the fish if I decide to keep them.

When people go ice fishin', do you think they bonk every little perch they catch? I'm sure some people do, but I think most are just thrown on the ice to freeze.

Have you ever had to re-bonk a fish?I can see the need to bonk very large and unruly fish, but I release all my large fish and keep the Crappie and eater size Catfish (nothing over 3 lbs.)

There are as many ways of doing something as there are people to tell you how to do it!

Edited by Greencoachdog

There are as many ways of doing something as there are people to tell you how to do it!

That right there has to be one of the best quotes I've heard on here in a long time. I agree!!

There is no right/wrong way to keep your fish. I prefer to kill them and put them on ice.......I can't stomach fish that are in a livewell floating belly up.....hence, the cooler of ice IF I'm fishing for dinner.

I still like my tiller though :thumbsup_anim::whistling:

Sinker