Sturgeon on the French River

GbayGiant

So I was looking into fishing for some sturgeon this year considering I'm 45 min from the French and started doing a little research tonight on the subject and came across this site. French lodge

He basically promotes keeping the sturgeon to eat because it's a delicacy, (yeah maybe because they are almost extinct in Ontario) I don't want to start a huge argument on weather it's legal or not (this is just my opinion) but I think the MNR should put a no fish limit on White Sturgeon if they are , I can't See why anyone would keep it anyway but this guy telling his visitors to keep them doesn't help and you would think it doesn't help his future sturgeon fishing either ?

Just doesn't make too much sense to me, but damn it looks like the French is doing better then I thought for Sturgeon. I'm still planning on going up to try but it won't be with this lodge.

Sturgeon Fishing

Have you ever caught a dinosaur before? That's what it's like when you have a massive Sturgeon on your line. These fish are big and very prehistoric looking. They give up a great fight. We are lucky to have our cottage on the French River which have the best Sturgeon fishing in Ontario and maybe all of the world. The Sturgeon are common in the 20 to 80 pound range but 150 pounders have been caught. The Ontario record is 163 pounds so it's just a matter of time before one of our guests get into the record books. They have different names. People call them Lake Sturgeon and River Sturgeon but the proper name is White Sturgeon. They are cousins of the smaller Green Sturgeon, which are caught in the big British Columbia rivers. Sturgeon tastes fantastic!!!! The local aboriginal people set nightlines for them. It's really interesting how they prepare the fish. They gut the fish and then cut out the gills. Next they put the fish right on the campfire for a couple of seconds on each side to burn off these little spikes and soften the skin. Then they cut the Sturgeon up into steaks. Next they boil the meat to get the oils out. Finally, they fry the fish in butter with a little salt. Many say it tastes like frog legs. Some people describe it as just like alligator tail. However you describe it, it's a delicacy and has to be tried once in a lifetime.

med_gallery_322_261_148159.jpg

med_gallery_322_261_59875.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, frog legs, alligator tail anyone ? delicious. :unsure:

John I agree with you, a struggling fishery (sturgeon) should be protected. Two laying on the deck doesn`t seem like a good way to go about it. Suppose every one kept two because it was legal?

My dad used to tell me stories about him walking the shoreline of Lake Erie as a kid and dead Sturgeon laying on the shore, people threw them up there because they were ugly.

Started fishing Pointe Au Baril in 1964, Dad in 1961, there were reports of people catching them there back then, although we never saw one.

Started fishing Pointe Au Baril in 1964, Dad in 1961, there were reports of people catching them there back then, although we never saw one.

Yeah, I have always wondered that considering "Sturgeon Bay" is rite here, I know they use to be in there, my grandpa told me he caught 1 of them and seen a couple huge ones swim by over the years by accident when he was young the last time being in the early 60's. I haven't herd of or seen anyone catch one since I've been around fishing. I always want to try, but so much water and no signs of them discourage me. I wonder if the MNR has seen any, they are up here every year netting Muskies for research in Sturgeon Bay.

The muskies up here wouldn't help to much if the Sturgeon were reproducing. :D but then again there doing ok in the French with the same muskies.

Another crazy thing about this guy. Who the heck are his visitors telling him that Sturgeon tastes like alligator tail ? lol...ridiculous.

Edited by GbayGiant

John, one of the reports we got was from a former friend of my dads. He claimed to have hooked one like 4 feet long trolling a worm harness on the bottom for walleye and got it near the boat before it broke off. Don`t know for sure how reliable his info was though, we broke ties with him after him and his buddy got caught trying to bring home 27 northern pike. Just guessing honesty wasn`t a strong point.

There is a picture in the Cleveland papers every few year of one that was caught and released in Lake Erie here. Just guessing water quality is still better there so they are probably around. Drift a piece of cut shad, big chub on a slip bobber near the bottom? Shawanaga might be a place to try, maybe the winoa? Some good catfish there. :clapping:

HA, I know your a catfish guy, I got my personal best off the dock a couple years ago only around 20lbs but it was a good surprise because I don't fish them but I was hoping it was a 20lbs walleye.

There's a guy I know who fed me a rumor of a Sturgeon hole where they use to be caught, we'll see, maybe I'll try for a day this year, the good thing about the bay like you say is that I'll probably still end up getting a pike, musky, carp or catfish dragging a dead bait for sturgeon.

Edited by GbayGiant

:wallbash:

In my opinion Sturgeon shouldn't be kept....Sturgeon Falls WAS the WORLD CAVIAR CAPITAL

, we even beat Bakail Russia for the title from 1981 to 1989... and were we ever proud to hold the title. But overharvesting and lack of education about the reproductive cycles of Sturgeon almost led to their demise.. It is now illegal to fish for them in the upper French River and lake Nipissing and yes the lower Sturgeon River too..

I catch 2 or 3 per year ...some about 60 lbs or so... they go right back in.

Most times I cut the line free and do not even handle them... until I'm sure it's not a monster muskie I don't cut them off.

The M.N.R is on the Sturgeon River studying the species and lay nets down ... to count and tag them..last year they caught a 126lb specimen... the Biologist told me that the numbers are looking good....whatever that means.

I have eaten some before steaks and caviar cooked in many ways...there are better fish to eat.

Randy from Sturgeon -Falls. :Gonefishing:

Thanks Randy. Those pics I posted were from 2006, I didn't look at the regs but I'm glad they changed it then and glad I didn't go try to catch one.

What about the lower French and the upper sturgeon rivers ? and are you not allowed to fish for them period or do you mean they have to be released ?

you may catch and keep on the upper Sturgeon ....I have tried to Intentionally catch them but to no avail..100 + miles of river and 1000's of spots and damned if i can find a Sturgeon.

I know of an old fart that catches them regularly ...no big ones his personal best is 74lbs..

he's been fishing the upper Sturgeon now for more than 50 yrs.

He's told me how to do it...I've tried... but failed... but will try again.

So do you know if Misha Rapids are on the upper or lower French ? that's where this guys lodge is/was catching Sturgeon. I've fished Nippising , Sturgeon and the French but not too familiar with everything, didn't realize Sturgeon river was that big but I have fished it one time, nice spot.

but I think the MNR should put a no fish limit on White Sturgeon if they are , I can't See why anyone would keep it anyway but this guy telling his visitors to keep them doesn't help and you would think it doesn't help his future sturgeon fishing either ?

Just doesn't make too much sense to me, but damn it looks like the French is doing better then I thought for Sturgeon. I'm still planning on going up to try but it won't be with this lodge.

There are no white sturgeon in Ontario. Problem solved.

he Sturgeon River is a 177 kilometers (110 mi) long river that springs near Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park in the Timiskaming District in Ontario, Canada. It flows in a south-easterly direction through Sudbury and Nipissing Districts before it empties at the north shore of and into Lake Nipissing. The town of Sturgeon Falls is located on the river about 3 km north of its mouth.

There are no white sturgeon in Ontario. Problem solved.

White or not you know what I ment as we in Ontario only have one kind, it says white on his site that's what I went by. I don't claim to be a Sturgeon expert that's why I'm asking so many questions, thanks for clearing that up Roy.

People call them Lake Sturgeon and River Sturgeon but the proper name is White Sturgeon.

Should have know this guy has no clue because they are in fact Lake Sturgeon.

Edited by GbayGiant

LOL catfish guy?

Sorry bud, maybe I got confused with Daplumma and Applumma, I thought you were one of the elite OFC catfish slayers. :) All I know is if I could find some more of those 20lbers I'd be all over it, nice fight.

Edited by GbayGiant

LOL John, Ohio Redneck not Virginia there is a difference. Virginia and Alabama rednecks can talk to each other without translators. I am far enough north to understand most Canadians! eh?

Catfish? fun to catch if they are big. Probably even ate some at some point in my life, gramps used to clean them and they lived upstairs.

this lodge is located in the dry pine bay area of the french.. it's what i would call the middle lower french. just east of the hwy 69 bridge. i believe (but would have to double check as the regs may have changed) that you are in fact allowed to fish sturgeon in this part of the river (ie. below the dams in nippissing).

....While it has been some time since I fished Dry Pine Bay I think it's part of the upper French River (main channel). It's in the area south of Alban on the map. The lower being west of HWY#69.

FrenchRiverMap.jpg

And while I certainly don't condone keeping any sturgeon in the Nipissing region I don't think those pictures show lots of killing. Like the other pictures on the site there are many duplicates.

I think in all those shots we're seeing three sturgeon.

From the 2008 regs....

Lake Nipissing - ncluding the

waters of the French River from the

Chaudière and the Little Chaudière

dams to Lake Nipissing; the west bay

of Lake Nipissing in Haddo Twp.; the

northwest bay of Lake Nipissing to

the falls of MacPherson Creek; the

Sturgeon River from Lake Nipissing

to the dam at Sturgeon Falls; the

Veuve River from Lake Nipissing to

the chutes located in Lot 5 in

Conc. l in Caldwell Twp.; the South

River from Lake Nipissing to

Highway 654; and the entire West

Arm of Lake Nipissing including Cross Lake. / Lake sturgeon closed all year.

Now if I could just find a copy of the old regs.

I think he also needs to bone up on his facts....

"They have different names. People call them Lake Sturgeon and River Sturgeon but the proper name is White Sturgeon."

White Sturgeon....Acipenser transmontanus

Lake Sturgeon....Acipenser fulvescens

this lodge is located in the dry pine bay area of the french.. it's what i would call the middle lower french. just east of the hwy 69 bridge. i believe (but would have to double check as the regs may have changed) that you are in fact allowed to fish sturgeon in this part of the river (ie. below the dams in nippissing).

Allowed or not, it would be great to see someone use a little common sense. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I will allow you to draw your own conclusions but if it tastes like alligators, I can gaurantee that the fishermen are not from Thunder Bay.

Funny, but the guy who outfits up on Ogoki for the sturgeon fishing up there seems to think they're "white sturgeon" too. Check Wikepedia doods, it's free - online. :rolleyes:

Anyway... regs in most places are 1 a day to keep. Native folks up here seem to quite enjoy the taste, but, belly meat should be cut out. If you're thinking of fishing them expect slow days, but a great fight once you hook one. A friend of mine up here caught a 44"er that was 22lbs and that fish pulled at his 20lb test line for 35 minutes before finally giving up. I've hooked one... couldn't land in on a light rod with 6lb mono, but man.. it gave me 15-20 minutes of insanity. They're good hearty fish for sure, maybe as strong as chinook of equal weight, but a fair bit slower.

I don't think they should be kept at all. Just personal. They're ancient...

spiel, for regulation purposes, "they" call anything below the chaudiere dams to gbay the "lower", while anything above them to nippissing is the "upper". the dams are located in dokis (further east than your map shows), up-river from dry pine bay & the regs you quoted don't apply to this area of the french.

the regs in this area are probably more strict when compared to Nip with the exception of sturgeon - slot sizes for all sport fish including pike & bass and a 48" muskie minimum which they are trying (& maybe succesful now) to implement on the "upper".

I'd let 'em all go too. :)

Edited by Raf