Moving to Alberta (maybe)

livinisfishin

Unrelated to fishing but some guys with a lot of life experience on here might be able to help me out. Im 21 years old from southern ontario. 2 hours from t.o. I m almost finished my first course at college to get my first stage license as a gas fitter (gas tech 3) . Im thinking of moving down to alberta before i get my gas tech 2 but im not sure if its a wise move. I make 17 bux an hour at afactory up here and things are supposed to be going good and steady for me for a while. I wnat to get out of there and make more money down there and get some experience in my trade. Good idea or bad idea? If its bad or good please tell me why. Thanks guys

Alberta is booming right now. My family moved to Calgary when the first boom happened in the late 70's, early 80's. It was a wise move at first, but when things went on a downturn, it was time to get the heck out of dodge. If you are going to work there and live in camp, probably a good idea. If you want to go there and buy a house, probably not. My parents had a heck of a time selling when things went downhill there.

There is alot of money to be made, but some Albertans didn't feel it was right that Ontario "creeps and bums" as they called us, had jumped on the bandwagon and moved onto their turf (they even had a song about it). Not sure if they are like that now. We got over the initial snub, but it was not pretty.

Good luck to you if you decide to go. Let us know what you decide. I'd be interested in how it turns out if you do go.

Joey

Personally I would get the Fitter 2 first and then go there and make some serious dough, but that's just me...and I am not 21, so if you want to go and give it a try, I would say, go for it.

lots of jobs in Alberta for sure BUT the cost of living is very high too. try renting a 1 bedroom apartment in Fort McMurry or Edmonton.....if you can find one.

Good Luck.

get you tickets first and save your money before you go out...and like some on here said...keep your nose and liver clean. Alot of drugs and alcohol, try not to give into peer presure and you will come out a winner. You will make alot more money if you get your tickets first. REsearch the net.....lots out there.

I can go through the paper here on Fridays and count 15-20 pages of job wanted ads.

90% having to do with the gas/oil out here.

Take it from someone who was living in Southern Ontario just 6 months ago.....its not a mistake to come out here.

Ignore the comments about the costs of living, right now its cheaper living here then anywhere in the GTA.

If you want to give me a call, shoot me a pm and I will put you in contact with some rig operations.

Most of the gas guys work normal days, its the riggers/drillers that work in camps (usually 1 week on/1 week off or 2 week on /2 week off).

Trinidad was looking for roughnecks starting at 29 bucks an hour for the first 8 hours a day plus time and a half for OT (usually 11/12 hour days).......not to mention the 200 bucks living allowance PER DAY. You work that out for 15 days and let me know if its worth comming out LOL.

Im not even involved with the gas/oil aspect and Im making 4 times more then in Ontario for less work.

Stay away from the booze and drugs, they are killers out here.

open ended is the consideration . go , give it your best .only if you have a cushion to come home to if things

are not exactly what the forecast suggested ,come home. got a friend willing to make the same leap?

half the cost to get started . once settled , away you go. the in-betweens are easier to handle with a

buddy is at your side to help you both out.

Like Wayne said, get your gas tech 3, then go for the 5 months take it for a spin, come back get your gas tech 2 and I'd be willing to bet anyone who hires you for the summer will be happy to have to back with an upgraded education...and of course there is the current temps. to consider :P

Maureen

Hello'

As someone who has been a licenced tradesperson for 25 + years and have worked in several capacities I can have an opinion but as all have stated it is your future alone.

I too started as a gas fitter but I found I needed more to become viable in the marketplace.

I was fortunate to get an apprenticeship in sheet metal and combined made it easy to find employment anywhere in the country.

I had to serve my time in the construction trades but it paid off in the end. There currently is a large shortage of qualified people in the workforce and projections say will be for some time.

I would fear going to Alta. and getting pigeon-holed in one position and not becoming as qualified as I could be---remember there are good paying jobs in the trades--country-wide and areas where the cost of living is more moderate. It can be very relative.

All this being said I believe there is one question you should ask yourself---where and what do you see for yourself in 3-5 years.

That will probably go a long ways in giving your answer.

Also as someone who has moved around considerably---money is only a portion of the equation---moving to a place where you do not know a soul into an area that is extremely foreign can be confusing---target your short and long term goals and they will tell you how to get there.

Best of Luck

Bushart

My Brothers out there...went to Grande Prarie(were Kyle is) As a 2nd year Welding apprentice for almost double what he was getting per hour in Ontario.

Only 3 months laters jumped ship to another contractor for $3 more/hour plus a company phone.

4 months later the same company sent him to Calgary...and added another $2/hour to his pay along with a company truck, and they slotted him into this past fall season of School.

He's gonna be licenced shortly, and has a tough decision to make....stay, or come home licensed.

His origional plan was to go out there, pay off some debts, come home with his license, get married, start a family.

Now he's questioning the leaving part.

Jobs in Ontario are not plenty, and not as rewarding...

Family and freinds are here, but the moneys there...tough decision for sure.

Edited by Cookslav

Grande Prairie isnt much to look at but a little over an hours drive puts you into the Northern Rockies near Grande Cache.

To the north I have Great Slave Lake which is a 6-7 hour drive....Dont forget the thousands of back lakes that see no more then a few fisherman a year.

Jasper is a few hours away.........amazing Kokanee Salmon, Rainbow fishing on the head waters

of the Fraiser River.

The Yukon is do-able.

Grande Cache is known for its spectacular Bull Trout fishing, the view from the rivers look like theyre taken from a magazine.

Was a no brainer for me!

jasper2.JPG

Join the Army like I did in Calgary. No not for everyone (LOL)

Patience my boy, Patience. You gots to know someone, otherwise it can be very lonely. Lots of tough nuts out West so you can easily be led astray. What I would do first is find out where you want to go. You need a place to lay your head, or go back to if you are doing the camp thing. Housing is really tough to find. Once you have an Idea where you are going, secure a job before departing Ontario. People are begging for workers so that company may set you up for an Apprenticeship. Probably the best Apprenticeship program in the country. Paid schooling is also involved. Now here are the Benefits, lots of money to be made, as a young fellow you have the chance to move up the ladder extremely fast. As a young tradesman you have an excellent chance to own some of your equipment, have a decent truck, and then go into your own business leasing your self to the Oil and Gas Industry making huge amount of cash. Find a good woman, buy a good house in a small town, work your arse off, and you may find yourself way ahead than in Ont a few years down the Road. By the way, if things don't work out, move to Sask like all the Albertans are doing now. Sask is opening the Tar sands, Mining is Booming, and to the south of here, parts of USA and Saskatchewan are going to exploit one of the biggest deposits of oil in North America along the Fault line. The future here says, Ont will slow down, the West will not. But do your Homework as you will not regret. What can hurt, you will gain an experience at the minimal.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_en.aspx

http://www.saskjobs.ca/

Couple of Links just to get you perking. What I did was found out what area I wanted to go to, checked the MLS, then changed my mind from AB to SK. I phoned a couple of Companies, got interested in one. I then asked them about housing, Map Recced good fishing areas, and then moved the family. I am lucky though, I bought 2006 for 104,000 and now its worth 240,000. Sask is getting crazy because Albertas cost of living is bringing back all the Sasktonians that had once left the province. DO YOUR HOMEWORK

• 2 weeks later...

Remember Alberta has 800 lakes - so there's a considerable amount of fishing pressure on those resources.

It's the land of milk and no taxes - but everything comes with a price.

Your age will allow to relocate should you find it not to your liking.

Lotsa Luck

David aka Superdad