Whitefish off the Harbour Wall?

Douger

The guys who fish for whities off a georgian bay harbour wall fish off the bottom using chum and single eggs. they use these short rods (4 feet??) and a kind of yellow or chartreuse high-vis line. i was wondering which type of line and rod they use. i've heard the term "drop-shot" rod before, but i'm not sure.

thanks

I've been part of that scene for 2 decades in the spring and its a tonne of fun. I generally fish with a slip float and single eggs or bags witha 13 foot float rod targeting "silvers" but do have some great days on the Whitefish also. I also do the double-anchored jigging deal out of a boat and that produces more Whitefish for us with short rods as you mentioned. Never tried any sort of high-vis line as this is strictly a feel thing for me. Chumming does help the bite for sure.

Douger,

might be just the fl yellow or pink RAVEN line that is getting popular with steelheaders. I do a lot of bottom bouncing for steelhead and switched to hi-vis pink line from RAVEN a few years back. Tie in a 3 ft flouro leader. The hi-vis line really helps me see takes fish before I even feel the take or can tighten the line up on a drift. It also helps you keep an eye on finding your float on drifts in bigger pools and farther casts

You see a fair number of guys with this color line on the float reels as it is easier to see.

....I've done a lot of fishing for whities on Georgian Bay and I'd me more inclined to use a super thin no stretch superline or braid with a flourocarbon leader. You're better off trying to detect the take by feel than waiting to see the line move, IMHO.

Yeah, a lot of guys use the drop shot with a small fly 18-24" up tipped with a egg or tinny minnow, generally as soon as you see the line move set the hook instantly with a smooth lifting motion not a big bass hook set. I like super lines and feel as well but most guys use the drop shot from what I've seen. I tried the drop shot this fall for the first time with Whites and it worked good but the hook sets took time to get down, just a long slow lifting motion. I actuallly used PowerPro for that as well because it's visible and sensitive anyway, used any small flyes I had tipped with a 1-2" minnow.